Discovering Lamb Chopped absolutely should finish the Oops Trump Thread

Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
edited November 2020 in The Styx
I would like the right to post the last post on the abovenamed thread.

It is entirely inappropriate that I do so, as an Australian, but I think someone should have that honour and that it be done in a ceremonial, celebratory fashion. I'd like to see something like the Hosts announcing a date for its closure, maybe a week beforehand, and then allowing us to post thoughts and comments and tears. Then the designated Shipmate posts the last post. Then the hosts/admin close the thread with their own comment if they like.

I thought of using it as a fundraiser, but I don't want to disadvantage people on financial grounds. But I'm open to that. I don't want this to be divisive either. I want it to be a celebration and remembrance of the five years we have spent complaining, mourning, strategizing about, and ridiculing this heinous Presidency and hoping for a change.

Its a big moment. Lets mark it.

Comments

• But (if the vote counting goes well the next couple/few days) he'll still be POTUS until January 20, 2021.
  • That gives us plenty of time to decide who gets the honour of the final word
  • Regardless of who gets the final word, I’d have thought what that final word should be is obvious:

“You’re fired.”

• "Lock him up!"
  • Come on, people, "not with a bang, but a whimper." Let it trickle out on the discussion of somebody's aunt's dog's fleas.
  • Ha ha! Oh, Lamb Chopped, you kill me. 🤣❤❤
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Na na
    Na na na na
    Hey Donnie,
    Good-bye!
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    I’ve been thinking of closing it or sinking it. Haven’t checked with colleagues yet. But recognising this thread, if we wo that way we’ll post a 24 hour warning. You can fight it out after that. My vote for a suitable last post is the Trump missed putt tantrum on YouTube.
  • Early days, of course, but might there be some mileage in a 'Lame Duck Presidency' thread, to replace the 'Oops...' thread?

Trump isn't going to lie down just yet, I fear.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    He's not out for more than 10 weeks. Plenty of oops still to come.
  • Are any of his powers restrained now he's on the way out?
    Can he still start a war?
    Can he fire many people? what positions?
    How about pardon himself? or his family members?
    When can he be charged with crimes?
  • Are any of his powers restrained now he's on the way out?
    Can he still start a war?
    Can he fire many people? what positions?
    How about pardon himself? or his family members?
    When can he be charged with crimes?

Nope.
    Yep.
    Yep. All that he could before.
    Dunno about that. Yep.
    He can be charged now; just not arraigned or tried.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Barnabas62 wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking of closing it or sinking it. Haven’t checked with colleagues yet. But recognising this thread, if we wo that way we’ll post a 24 hour warning. You can fight it out after that. My vote for a suitable last post is the Trump missed putt tantrum on YouTube.

Perhaps leave the honour of the final post to someone from Pennsylvania or Nevada?
  • Semi-serious suggestion: could the right to the final post be auctioned / raffled off to raise money for the Organ Fund?

(You could put a giant thermometer on the front page too to show how we're doing.)
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    No. Congress, not the Ship of Fools, sells itself to the highest bidder.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    No. Congress, not the Ship of Fools, sells itself to the highest bidder.

🤣🤣🤣
  • Speaking as an historian, I see no reason to close a thread on the Trump presidency just because he seeks to be president. The corpse will be dissected for decades to come.
  • Relics? Shrines?
  • I fear so, NP. Personally, I would dump the Administration in the Atlantic to prevent that sort of thing.

I personally intend posting a closing post, but my hope is that one of the regular American posters manages to do the penultimate one, before the hosts themselves enjoy one of the few perks of their volunteer roles.
  • There's no sense in closing it till the Inauguration. You just know he's going to be up to no good, and we're going to be talking about it...
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited November 2020
    As long as he's still president, there is still stuff to discuss about his presidency. Indeed we can still profitably discuss many presidencies past present and future.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »

Closing a long-running thread doesn't really have the same feeling as dancing in the streets and toasting the beginning of the end of a monster.
    Amen.

(My teenage grandchildren, obviously born and bred in the UK, all danced. They think he's a monster too. We had an interesting Skype call on Sunday about how they felt and why. I was encouraged by just how politically aware they were and how much they understood the electoral process.)
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited November 2020
    Ruth wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »

Closing a long-running thread doesn't really have the same feeling as dancing in the streets and toasting the beginning of the end of a monster.

That's true, and we did have that e-drinking session over on the Hell thread. I feel like it will be a celebration, in part, of the little haven of sanity that is the Ship's Purg board at its best. I know we compartmentalise, and that community is really the role of Heaven, but the Trump thread was/is a bit different, I contend.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    If we're going to be ceremonial about it, an American should do the honors.
  • How about a former Republican?
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate, Purgatory Host
    *Raises a glass to Lamb Chopped*
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    A former Republican ... who can write ...
  • Here is a potential process we could use to choose who gets the honour.
  • Who hath invoked me? Speak of the devil and you see her horns. Seriously, if you do this thing, there will be parody. I contemplate a mixture of Dr. Faustus and Dr. Seuss, though that could change.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That sounds like a suitable combination Lamb Chopped.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Lamb Chopped, you GO, girl!!!
    :not worthy:

Oh, and maybe add Dr. Phil to your mix.
    ;)
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    That link doesn’t work for me.
  • Who hath invoked me? Speak of the devil and you see her horns. Seriously, if you do this thing, there will be parody. I contemplate a mixture of Dr. Faustus and Dr. Seuss, though that could change.

Yes please!

:mrgreen:

• BroJames wrote: »
    That link doesn’t work for me.
    It's a statement about the Trump Administration ... doesn't work for any of us.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Who hath invoked me? Speak of the devil and you see her horns. Seriously, if you do this thing, there will be parody. I contemplate a mixture of Dr. Faustus and Dr. Seuss, though that could change.

One more thing to look forward to on January 20, 2021!
  • This raising glasses thing, wouldn't it be appropriate to take a mouthful of <whatever> and spew it out vomit-like?

If Potus is the genus (meaning president), then perhaps vomitus is the species (the current exemplar. Potus vomitus
    I want Lamb Chopped to get the job. And on time!
  • This raising glasses thing, wouldn't it be appropriate to take a mouthful of <whatever> and spew it out vomit-like?

If Potus is the genus (meaning president), then perhaps vomitus is the species (the current exemplar. Potus vomitus

If, God forbid, he gets reelected in 2024 he'd be potus interruptus.
  • What a great outcome! :smiley:
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    As I said elsewhere, I look forward to seeing all threads Trump passing away naturally. Just because he stops being president on 12:01 20 Jan 2021 does not mean he is going away. We will still have the impeachment trial and, even if he is convicted--or not--he will still be in the news because of the ongoing legal and financial problems he has caused in his wake. Let them die off on their own.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I second Gramps49 comments.
  • One could have a thread about the presidency of John F. Kennedy even though that presidency is over. It is demonstrably false that a thread about the presidency of Donald J. Trump would cease to have relevance on 20 January 2021.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Ditto re keeping the "Oops" thread going.
  • Why would you not want to have a fresh new thread titled "The Aftermath" or some such? The Oops thread says it's specifically about his presidency, and I suspect we'll have plenty of non-presidential things to discuss, particularly when all the criminal and civil cases catch up to him.
  • Why would you not want to have a fresh new thread titled "The Aftermath" or some such? The Oops thread says it's specifically about his presidency, and I suspect we'll have plenty of non-presidential things to discuss, particularly when all the criminal and civil cases catch up to him.
    This. No one is suggesting that there won’t be anything to discuss about Trump after January 20—just that the discussion of post-presidency Trump will be different from the discussions that have been going on during his presidency. Seems reasonable to me to mark that change by closing the threads about Trump’s current presidency and starting a new post-presidency thread, just like we closed a number of 2020 threads and started new 2021 ones, even if discussions from the old threads continued in the new threads.

• It certainly won't hurt things, and the old thread will still be around to reference. But I don't really see the need for it.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited January 18
    mousethief wrote: »
    It certainly won't hurt things, and the old thread will still be around to reference. But I don't really see the need for it.
    Speaking only for myself, it’s probably symbolic, or perhaps psychological, as much as anything—it acknowledges that Trump is no longer president, that the Trump administration is a thing of the past, while also acknowledging that his presidency leaves us with ongoing issues and challenges, and that he continues to be a political factor.

Psychologically, I’ll admit that I’ve been eagerly anticipating logging onto the Ship via “Recent Discussions” and not seeing multiple threads with “Trump” in the title or about Trump, many of which seem to be so similar that the conversations often overlap and it’s hard to keep up with who said what in which thread. It’s Trump overload, and frankly some of us are hoping for a respite from that.

• I can well imagine the desire to turn the page Nick. I'm sure all of you know this is far from uniquely American. It's fascism with American characteristics. I'm experiencing some of those threads as group hugs...
  • Well, Lamb Chopped duly closed the thread, and the Bible passages she chose (from Ezekiel, and from Isaiah) were truly inspired.

Thank you @Lamb Chopped!