Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Football

Comments

• orfeoorfeo Suspended
    But the France v Switzerland game was pretty sensational. Lost of the round of 16 games were good, actually, but that was the pick of the bunch.

I would think that whoever wins out of Belgium and Italy will probably be favourites for the title. Still finding it hard to believe that the top 2 qualifiers in the tournament end up in the same quarter of the draw, but there you go. I shall be fervently hoping for a Belgian win.

I shall also be hoping for an Eriksen-driven Danish fairytale on the other side of the draw for a while, even though I do like some of the other teams too.
  • There was a period in the England Germany game, when both teams looked absolutely mediocre, just after half time. Kane was wandering round like a ghost. But the Grealish substituti
  • Sorry, substitution worked, and they acquired new energy. The England bench is impressive.
  • You mean they won? Crikey!
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    With quite a lot of headlines about how long it's been since we last beat the Germans in a tournament.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    QI taught me some years ago that the Germans aren't especially interested in matches against England. The obsession is unidirectional. To Germans, their biggest rivalry is with the Netherlands.
  • He's right, you know. Wo ist mein fahrrad? (Where's my bike?) and all that.
  • These days it more "Can we have grandad's bike back", but same thing. The wailing and gnashing of teeth was deafening here when the Dutch exited limply after such a promising start to the tournament. Coach De Boer dutifully fell on his sword and most of the orange has been torn down.
    It strikes me that those who blaze brilliantly early on in these tournaments often come a cropper, whilst those who grind out dull matches without losing sometimes come good in the end. I seem to recall one year Italy reached the World Cup final, (maybe even won it, I can't remember) after drawing all three of their group games. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part as England have played some of the most tedious football of all.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    I could now say that football is always tedious, but I won't.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Wesley J wrote: »
    I could now say that football is always tedious, but I won't.

Yes, best not to come onto a football thread for the sole purpose of saying you don't like football, thank goodness you didn't.
  • Tournament football is often slow, and the players can look like they are wading through treacle. See Kane for a good example. However, against that, there are often rather crazy periods, when bizarre sequences of events take place. The last France game was like this, France 3-1 up and coasting, but suddenly 3-3, a penalty shoot out, Mbappe misses, au revoir. I enjoy it.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    All I have to say after the first 2 quarterfinals is: Bugger.
  • Well, after Italy, what is there to say. Observe, ye mortals, and pass by. In other words, they are top class. I would like to see England play them, to see if they could cope.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Oh I already thought Italy were one of the best teams, as I've previously alluded to. Which is why I was so bummed about my beloved Belgium encountering them at this stage.

The golden generation's time is beginning to run out, after being number 1 ranked for such a long time with nothing to show for it in the trophy cabinet. All that consistency, but falling short in the truly big matches. Sigh.
  • Belgium have one more chance in the world cup, next year. Anno Domini.
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    I am forcasting that England will easily win today's game
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Telford wrote: »
    I am forcasting that England will easily win today's game

I'm looking at the timing of your forecast with a quizzical eye.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    All I have to say now is: the whole world loves Danish fairytales.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Absolutely - go Denmark!
  • I found the England game v Ukraine rather dream like. They shuffled the ball around, and it was in the back of net, and it kept happening. Of course, Kane found his form, Sterling continued his tinopener act, and Shaw delivered laser-like crosses. All so easy, it can't be right. Sterner tests await.
    Piglet wrote: »
    Absolutely - go Denmark!

Alas Poor Denmark. I knew it Gareth
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    orfeo wrote: »
    All I have to say now is: the whole world loves Danish fairytales.

Of course, many of H.C. Andersen's stories are rather tragic.

I've read the Little Match Girl in my halting Danish, constantly pausing for translation tips and struggling with the 19th century vocabulary, and I still got goosebumps and tears in my eyes, dammit.
    So, it's Italy vs. The Danes or The English then. Very Shakespearian.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    It's the European championships. The chances that the finalists were someone Shakespeare knew about were pretty darn high.
  • I was surprised by how well Spain played, if they played a striker from the start, they could have won. That's what you get with false 9s.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Although normally I would cheer for England, I shall be cheering for the Cinderella Danes today.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Cinderella wasn't one of H.C. Andersen's...

I'll come back when I've slept and got up for the match in the morning.
    I'll cheer for the Danes too; with my Orcadian heritage, anyone with a sideways cross on their flag gets my vote!
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    The dapper man in the suit seems very happy.
  • Exhausting.
    edited July 2021
    The greatest day at Wembley since 1968

Suus 'venit in domum suam
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    On the one hand, England was very dominant in the 2nd half and into the early stages of extra time.

On the other, the penalty was so ridiculously soft that even English commentators found it highly doubtful.
    On the one hand, England was very dominant in the 2nd half and into the early stages of extra time.

On the other, the penalty was so ridiculously soft that even English commentators found it highly doubtful.

I thought that England should have had a penalty in normal time
    [...] Suus 'venit in domum suam
    Translation, please? Ta.
    I think it means "it's coming home".
    I'll cheer for the Danes too; with my Orcadian heritage, anyone with a sideways cross on their flag gets my vote!

Well bollocks to that. :cry:
  • That was a tough watch, as the tension was fierce. I said to my wife, we're supposed to be enjoying this. Every possible facet of England was present, very wobbly after the Denmark goal, then calming down. By the end, total control, and the Danes looked knackered. Sterling phenomenal. Soft penalty, but Kane should have had one.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I shall be cheering for England in the final.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    This incident would seem to mar England's winning goal.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57763001
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    England is not alone in this, but the habit of booing during the national anthem of an opponent really leaves a bad taste.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The laser pointed at a keeper's face when he is about to face a penalty is extremely egregious.
    Not to mention dangerous - can't lasers cause eye damage?

I confess it would be rather amusing if England were to be disqualified for it. :naughty:

Yes that's the rough translation
    Wesley J wrote: »
    [...] Suus 'venit in domum suam
    Translation, please? Ta.
    Answered by Piglet
    England is not alone in this, but the habit of booing during the national anthem of an opponent really leaves a bad taste.

Totally agree.
    Caissa wrote: »
    The laser pointed at a keeper's face when he is about to face a penalty is extremely egregious.
    Perhaps it helped him to make the save
    Not to mention dangerous - can't lasers cause eye damage?

I confess it would be rather amusing if England were to be disqualified for it. :naughty:
    Millions of English supporters would not find it amusing
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited July 2021

It doesn't. It means something like "theirs comes to their house"

Not sure why Venit Domum wouldn't be adequate.
    CENTURION: 'Domus'?

BRIAN: Eh.

CENTURION: Nominative?

BRIAN: Oh.

CENTURION: 'Go home'? This is motion towards. Isn't it, boy?

BRIAN: Ah. Ah, dative, sir! Ahh! No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! Ah! Oh, the... accusative! Accusative! Ah! 'Domum', sir! 'Ad domum'! Ah! Oooh! Ah!

CENTURION: Except that 'domus' takes the...?

BRIAN: The locative, sir!

CENTURION: Which is...?!

BRIAN: 'Domum'.

@Telford 's Latin teacher of course would not have had a gladius to aid in the teaching of correct Latin.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    @Telford 's Latin teacher of course would not have had a gladius to aid in the teaching of correct Latin.
    I strongly suspect that @Telford's teacher is a Mr. G. Translate, whose grasp of classical languages is a little shaky.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    It’s my husband’s birthday today. He wants new hiking boots but, if England win I’ve told him that will be his present.

:snigger:
  • Just seen some of the queues to get in pubs for the final, huge, and some starting at 8am. Are the English mad?
  • Yes.
    :disappointed:
    acta est fabula plaudite
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The keeper did his job. The penalty takers let the side down.