Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Football

Comments

• The better team won.
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    Caissa wrote: »
    The keeper did his job. The penalty takers let the side down.

I have to question the choice of penalty takers.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Telford wrote: »
    acta est fabula plaudite

And what's that in plain English, please?!
  • Apparently it means:

the story (play/drama) is over, applaud,

and is a quotation from Augustus according to some authorities, and others disagree. It was commonly said at the end of Roman plays.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Apparently it means:

and is a quotation from Augustus according to some authorities, and others disagree. It was commonly said at the end of Roman plays.
    As opposed to the traditional English: "Where the hell did we park the car?"

• There's a splendid piece of irony in that Southgate brought on Rashford and Sancho specifically to take the penalties, and neither man scored.
    Apparently it means:

Augustus is believed to have said it on his death bed
  • Well, as we had so-called fans in the crowd pointing a laser at the goalkeeper in the Denmark game, so-called fans creating a disturbance trying to break into Wembley today , fans throughout the tournament booing England for taking the knee, then proving why England are taking the knee by racially abusing Marcus Rashford (23), Bukayo Saya (19) and Jadon Sancho (21) across social media tonight, then the fans don't deserve victory until they learn to behave as well as the team do. The bandwagon jumping faux fans that stirred up the booing, such as Boris Johnson and Priti Patel are included in that list. It's a game of kicking balls around the field.

Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford have done far more this year for the young people in the country than the Government has, with Rashford's campaigns to get young people fed (it's still happening this summer holidays), and Sancho building a football ground for kids in South London. And the team were going to give a huge chunk of their prize money to NHS charities if they'd won.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Well, as we had so-called fans in the crowd pointing a laser at the goalkeeper in the Denmark game, so-called fans creating a disturbance trying to break into Wembley today , fans throughout the tournament booing England for taking the knee, then proving why England are taking the knee by racially abusing Marcus Rashford (23), Bukayo Saya (19) and Jadon Sancho (21) across social media tonight,

There's no excuse whatsoever for any of that nonsense - however important you think kicking a ball around is.

(My response is simple enough. If your fans can't behave like civilized humans at a match, they don't get to come to your next one. After the laser nonsense, play the final with England's section of the stadium empty.)

I'm a bit surprised that Raheem Sterling, for example, wasn't asked to take a penalty: I'd have thought he'd have been a better option than one of the guys who'd spent the match on the bench. But if Rashford and Sancho had scored, everyone would have been cheering Southgate's choices. It just amuses me that these two guys were brought on specifically for the penalties, and they were two of the three misses.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    The better team won.

Even more satisfying, the best team for the entire tournament won.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Well, as we had so-called fans in the crowd pointing a laser at the goalkeeper in the Denmark game, so-called fans creating a disturbance trying to break into Wembley today , fans throughout the tournament booing England for taking the knee, then proving why England are taking the knee by racially abusing Marcus Rashford (23), Bukayo Saya (19) and Jadon Sancho (21) across social media tonight, then the fans don't deserve victory until they learn to behave as well as the team do. The bandwagon jumping faux fans that stirred up the booing, such as Boris Johnson and Priti Patel are included in that list. It's a game of kicking balls around the field.

Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford have done far more this year for the young people in the country than the Government has, with Rashford's campaigns to get young people fed (it's still happening this summer holidays), and Sancho building a football ground for kids in South London. And the team were going to give a huge chunk of their prize money to NHS charities if they'd won.

Agree with all of this.

Here's the thing about how some people's minds work (ie the people hurling the abuse). I had noticed that a couple of guys who missed penalties had been brought on specifically to take penalties. But I did not remotely notice their skin colour. It would never have occurred to me to link their skin colour with their football skills (or lack of them in that particular moment).
    Well, as we had so-called fans in the crowd pointing a laser at the goalkeeper in the Denmark game, so-called fans creating a disturbance trying to break into Wembley today , fans throughout the tournament booing England for taking the knee, then proving why England are taking the knee by racially abusing Marcus Rashford (23), Bukayo Saya (19) and Jadon Sancho (21) across social media tonight,

There's no excuse whatsoever for any of that nonsense - however important you think kicking a ball around is.

(My response is simple enough. If your fans can't behave like civilized humans at a match, they don't get to come to your next one. After the laser nonsense, play the final with England's section of the stadium empty.)

I'm a bit surprised that Raheem Sterling, for example, wasn't asked to take a penalty: I'd have thought he'd have been a better option than one of the guys who'd spent the match on the bench. But if Rashford and Sancho had scored, everyone would have been cheering Southgate's choices. It just amuses me that these two guys were brought on specifically for the penalties, and they were two of the three misses.

There is a suspicion that some of the more senior players bottled it.
    orfeo wrote: »
    The better team won.

Even more satisfying, the best team for the entire tournament won.

Yet they had to reply on penalties to win their semi final and the final
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended

If you think that's somehow inconsistent with what I said, you're mistaken.

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    acta est fabula plaudite

Hostly Oink
    @Telford, you've been here long enough to know that if you post something in a language other than English, it's a courtesy to provide a translation.

Thank you.

Piglet, Circus host
  • Well done, England, a terrific tournament. They seemed to fade in the final game, against a good Italian team, but they've given fans an exciting few weeks. It's brilliant to see the young players coming through, next stop, World Cup next year.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    As far the World Cup is concerned, I am very much hoping that the French are going to buck their ideas up. They are capable of playing far better than they did.
  • Yes, the French are an enigma, loaded with talent. However, they did win the WC in 2018, and I think winning consecutively is hard.
  • Plus, being in Qatar makes it imponderable. How hot will it be, even if in November?
    Piglet wrote: »
    acta est fabula plaudite

Hostly Oink
    @Telford, you've been here long enough to know that if you post something in a language other than English, it's a courtesy to provide a translation.

Thank you.

Piglet, Circus host

Sorry about that.

I don't think so. Winning penalty shoot outs does not make you the best team
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited July 2021

Nor does any individual match, as many a cricket Test or ODI series will show you.

It's just who did best, at a particular time, in a particular format.
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    England is not alone in this, but the habit of booing during the national anthem of an opponent really leaves a bad taste.

It must be pretty dispiriting for the English team hearing the boos rumble when your focusing on defence (even if intellectually you know they are targeted at the oppositions attack, especially given that they were the target of british* boos beforehand).

*english doesn't alliterate

I did think the Italian team were in some ways clearly better (the were so many minute when the English couldn't get near), and in others clearly worse (there was some definite shirt pulling, which I didn't notice the reverse). I wasn't sure which team as a football-team deserved to win.
  • jay_emm wrote: »
    I did think the Italian team were in some ways clearly better (the were so many minute when the English couldn't get near), and in others clearly worse (there was some definite shirt pulling, which I didn't notice the reverse). I wasn't sure which team as a football-team deserved to win.

The Italians definitely played a dirtier game. One might even argue that it was carefully-calibrated dirtiness.

With regard to boos, I think booing the opposing side's national anthem is neither cricket, nor football. Singing insulting songs about the opposition during the game, however, seems to be very much football, and so long as it doesn't cross the line into racism, or some other ism, I'd leave it alone.

• orfeoorfeo Suspended
    edited July 2021

I never said that it did. Why on earth would you think my assessment of the best team of the tournament was based on watching a few minutes at the end of the very last match of the tournament?

How much of the tournament did YOU watch? Given that I had to explain the format of it to you after quite a lot of matches had already occurred, allow me to guess the answer is "not much".
  • I haven't followed the football at all, so I know nothing whatever about the technicalities, especially penalties, but AIUI it was a very close call.

The impression I get of the England team, though, is of a wonderfully blended mix of young men of character, skill, and integrity - not saints (even Marcus!), but good role models for young people to follow.

The same can't be said for a minority of the *fans*, or for the politicians who so cynically tried to jump on the bandwagon (and fell off).
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Hostly beret on

@orfeo your last post is close to crossing the line into personal attack. Dial it down or take it elsewhere please.

Everyone else, if you want to discuss the relationship between football and racism / politics, it might be better to start another thread elsewhere. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if it needs splitting.

Hostly beret off

la vie en rouge, Circus host
    edited July 2021

I never said that it did. Why on earth would you think my assessment of the best team of the tournament was based on watching a few minutes at the end of the very last match of the tournament?

How much of the tournament did YOU watch? Given that I had to explain the format of it to you after quite a lot of matches had already occurred, allow me to guess the answer is "not much".

Wrong. My answer is, " I watched the games I was interested in"

• One interesting point about the debacle at Man Utd is that the hierarchy have been aiming for a heritage profile. Thus, sign Ronaldo, ancient famous player, Solskjaer already in place, ancient famous player. Only trouble is, they play like schoolboys.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    As a Liverpool fan, I am still grinning ear to ear today.
    As well you might, Caissa - it's not many teams that can stuff Man U 5-0!.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Australia now going to World Cup , after winning a penalty shootout v Peru in a second interzonal qualifier. Whether anyone should go to Qatar to play or watch in stadia stained with construction workers blood is another issue.
    Several players on both sides went down with cramp from the heat in extra time, and that's in a match starting at 9pm local time, though admittedly in northern summer. .
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    It seemed to be a brilliant stroke for Australia to change their keeper in the 120th minute. His approach to penalty kicks was masterful.
    Seeking the advice of People What Know About Footie: my great-niece (a footballist herself) has arranged a family sweepstake for the women's Euro footie championships, and I've drawn the Netherlands.

Am I likely to win? :smiley:
    edited June 2022
    It will be tough.

I assume we are talking about the Women's U-20 tournament coming up in August. The Netherlands is in Group D with USA, Japan and Ghana. In women's football, USA is a major top-flight team and they will probably win the group, but the Netherlands has a decent shot at finishing second, to qualify for the quarterfinal round.

If they do, their reward will be playing against the winner of Group C, which will likely be either France or Canada--and neither of them is a pushover.

Check that. You said Euro, didn't you? I was looking at the wrong tournament. :blush:

Let me check out the Euro.
    For the Euro, The Netherlands is in Group C with Sweden, Switzerland and Portugal. Sweden will be tough, but I like the Netherlands chances to win the group.

If they do, they will play the 2nd place team from Group D (France, Italy, Belgium, Iceland). Assuming France wins that group, I again like the Netherlands chances to get to the semis.

But things get a lot more doubtful after that. Still, anything can happen if they get hot.
    Thanks, Hedgehog - yes, I did mean the Euros. Tbh, when I first saw the list of countries, I thought, "where's Canada?"* and then remembered it was European ... :blush:

I am a piglet of very little brain.

* having vaguely remembered the Canadian ladies doing rather well at one point
    Just to update: the Netherlands earned a tie with Sweden at the Women's Euro. That becomes somewhat more impressive when you learn that the Netherland's top keeper had to leave the game early with an injury. The backup keeper kept them in the game. It was nice to see that, every time she made a save, her defenders would gather round her and cheer and pat her on the back.

As it so happens, Switzerland and Portugal also tied, so everybody in Group C is tied on one point.
    Thanks, Hedgehog - I did read that Netherlands and Sweden had drawn, but my focus over the last few days has been a game with rather smaller balls ... :mrgreen:
    The Netherlands fell at the quarterfinals to France, but they gave it their all.

Last four teams left standing: England v. Sweden; Germany v. France.
    edited July 2022
    Indeed; I'm out. :(

Apparently as I drew one of the losing quarter-finalists I get my £5 stake back though, which is an improvement on most of the sweepstakes I've been in! :mrgreen:
  • Well, that back heel was something else, by Alessia Russo. And a very enjoyable game. It seems less toxic than the men's game.
    I hadn't watched the match, but I saw the clip, and had to do a double take and watch it again - yes, she really did kick it in backwards. Well done Ms. Russo!
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    :mrgreen:
  • A very good game of football, had everything except the penalty shoot-out (thankfully). Well done England!
  • I thought Germany were slightly better, but England had will-power, and got over the line.
    Well done the Lionesses!

My nephew is particularly chuffed, as he drew England in the family sweepstake.
  • A Saudi woman sentenced to 34 years jail, for supporting dissidents on Twitter. I wonder how Newcastle fans will greet that. Probably, mass indifference.
    A Saudi woman sentenced to 34 years jail, for supporting dissidents on Twitter. I wonder how Newcastle fans will greet that. Probably, mass indifference.

The reaction of Newcastle fans will be varied and no different to football fans all over the UK ( Yes, I do know who owns Newcastle United)

• If you haven't seen it already, find Michael Sheen's speech about the Wales football team, for the World Cup. Electrifying is an understatement. Sorry, no link, but it's online.