Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Timeless Test Continued

Comments

• Simon Toad wrote: »
    Is there enough AV-gas in Britain to fly the England team out here?

I'm erring on the side of being more surprised if they go than if they don't. The players (and their families) are making the same sort of noises that the NRL players were before the Kangaroos pulled out of the RL World Cup.

We'll see anyway.
  • Hope so. We look like being open for business by the start of November, with crowds in Perth Adelaide and Brisbane already, and hopefully the MCG and SCG in Dec/Jan.
  • Apologies for going off-Test, but yesterday had a bizarre event near the end of the USA-Canada T20 qualifier match, which may be of interest (and, really, how many times am I going to be able to post anything about USA Cricket???):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNTK-kGg-AI
    USA did win the Super Over handily.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    Apologies for going off-Test, but yesterday had a bizarre event near the end of the USA-Canada T20 qualifier match, which may be of interest (and, really, how many times am I going to be able to post anything about USA Cricket???):

With 3 runs needed to win, the fielding side should have realised that the batters would have to keep running till one of them was out.
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    Exciting!
  • Telford wrote: »
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Apologies for going off-Test, but yesterday had a bizarre event near the end of the USA-Canada T20 qualifier match, which may be of interest (and, really, how many times am I going to be able to post anything about USA Cricket???):

With 3 runs needed to win, the fielding side should have realised that the batters would have to keep running till one of them was out.
    No argument there. Canada screwed up. It's cricket, innit?
  • TurquoiseTasticTurquoiseTastic Kerygmania Host
    In fact I'm not sure why the US didn't go for a third run to win immediately?
  • In fact I'm not sure why the US didn't go for a third run to win immediately?
    The one batter was really unaware of the situation.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited November 2021
    Hedgehog wrote: »

Superb stuff!!! Love to see Canada and the USA (and Ireland and the Dutchies) do really well in the tippedy run game.
  • I suppose you guys have heard that Tim Payne has resigned as Captain, having been caught sending what I believe to be a dick pic to a woman at Cricket Tasmania.

I personally would like to see Steve Smith or Dave Warner rehabilitated, but it looks like they are going to pick Pat Cummins, a bloody bowler. That never goes well. Bowler captains never take themselves off quickly enough.
    The pic was sent a few months after his appointment to captain. I suppose CA hoped that it would never surface.
  • Hoping it would stay down, you mean?

I happily spent 90 minutes last night via the good offices of Zoom in the company of Graham Gooch, John Emburey and Richard Ellison, and very nice it was too. Highly amused to see that Grumpy's home office is in the attic, and it's got just the sort of tut in it that everyone else's attics have.
    Hoping it would stay down, you mean?
    Ambiguity intended.
  • I couldn't possibly comment.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    That's quite clearly Not Cricket.

I'll fetch my coat ... :mrgreen:
    I suppose you guys have heard that Tim Payne has resigned as Captain, having been caught sending what I believe to be a dick pic to a woman at Cricket Tasmania.

I personally would like to see Steve Smith or Dave Warner rehabilitated, but it looks like they are going to pick Pat Cummins, a bloody bowler. That never goes well. Bowler captains never take themselves off quickly enough.

It was never a problem for Richied Benaud. OK I accept that he wasn't a quickie and he could bat a bit. It was never a problem for Imran Khan and he was seriously quick.
  • Great stuff ... a wicket from the First Ball and a downward spiral after to that ... to be all out for 147 ... hope the weather holds
  • Watched it 9 times, I reckon
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Australia's innings started only slightly better than England's, with Marcus Harris ( a terror of poor bowling but vulnerable to good ones) being predictably caught in the slips early. Robinson bowled with good control and Wood was fast and accurate, but Warner and Labuschagne soldiered on, despite Warner being "bowled" by a no-ball from Stokes. By lunch Australia had nearly passed England's total , with only one wicket down, with Leach being belted for 33 in 3 overs near lunch.
    But as England's bowlers tired or got injured (Robinson and Stokes) , Australia were able to score freely, with Harris (114 no) taking full toll, and reached 340/7 at stumps on day 2.
    A win for Australia looks increasingly likely.
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    edited December 2021
    Australia clearly favourites to win but need another 10 wickets.
  • As I understand it, Australia has gotten a Head start on England.

[Looking for my hat...]
  • Was it the last Ashes in England where we dacked on the English in the first test and they recovered to win the series? Just saying...

The beauty of Test Cricket is that it is such a dynamic game. I thought England bowled well yesterday, but had a few howlers. That can swing a test, but sometimes it doesn't.

Normal sledging will resume shortly.
  • A much, much better day for England today - the deficit is down to 50-odd with eight wickets still in hand, thanks to a big stand from Malan and Rooooooooooooooot. Still Australia's to lose, I would have thought, though, with the pitch flattening out and Oz to bat last...
  • It's now all to play for but I have to make Australia favourite
  • Ah. England finishes its innings with a 19 run lead.

To be honest, not the most insurmountable lead I've ever seen.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And it's not one that would inspire great batting. A quick over or 2 after lunch, and it will be all over.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And as expected, all over 4 minutes ago.
  • Oh quelle surprise.

:(

Poo bums willies
  • Gee D wrote: »
    And as expected, all over 4 minutes ago.

Not a timeless test.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Perhaps we should change the thread title to "Testing Times" ... :confused:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Perhaps we should change the thread title to "Testing Times" ... :confused:
    Not a thread for the Aussies then

• Having batted poorly in the first test, England decide to keep all the batters and drop 2 of the bowlers.
  • England are bowling well, disciplined, on the right line and creating wicket opportunities. The Keeper had a shocking day. Two or three catches dropped? He gloved two and spilt them. Imagine if we were 5/190 odd. That's England's day.
  • Why do these England fast bowlers feel the need to land the rear of their heel, a few mm behind the crease, Why can't the umpires do their job ?

Look like it was a good toss to win.

NB... Burns. Just get your hair cut
  • That no-ball dismissal of Labber was cruel. I agree with Botham, who's out here commentating, that it is a cardinal sin to overstep the mark.
    That no-ball dismissal of Labber was cruel. I agree with Botham, who's out here commentating, that it is a cardinal sin to overstep the mark.
    I agree with you and Botham.

When I played I was always content to land all of my foot behind the line
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Neser, drafted in to bowl for Australia, when Cummins was ruled out because of a possible COVID contact the night before the match is having a wonderful intro to Test Cricket. He must be thinking: " how good is this?" First he belts a quick 50 as the Aussie tail wags against tired English bowling. Then he gets a wicket in his very first over: Burns caught in slips off a good ball.

Burns thoughts about test cricket in Australia must be slightly less positive. with Hameed also dismissed, England end the day at 2 for 17, with Root and Malan again together needing a big century each to save the match.
  • 41 short of avoiding the follow on, Broad and Anderson trying hard.
    41 short of avoiding the follow on, Broad and Anderson trying hard.

Australia decline the follow on and now have the problem of when to declare.
  • the result is predictable
  • Never. Its Test Cricket. You're thinking of tippedy-run.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Steve Waugh's great team often won an Ashes test in 3 days. This lot are not quite in that class. It takes them 4 days.
  • England eventually lost but not without a fight. I was especially imnpressed by Butler and Woakes.
  • Best thing about Boxing Day - the start of the third test - made even better by the commencement of the Sydney Hobart yacht race.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    rhubarb wrote: »
    Best thing about Boxing Day - the start of the third test - made even better by the commencement of the Sydney Hobart yacht race.

And a glorious day for them both, although the yachts could do with rather more wind than we've got at the moment.
  • Most depressing thing about Boxing Day: waking up to discover that we have been already bowled out for less than 200.

I really hope we don't break the duck record, but I wouldn't put it past this lot.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    There may be some salvation for you. It's cool and grey here this morning. No rain yet, but I'd not be surprised to get a shower or 2 this afternoon. The forecast for tomorrow is similar.