Motivational Contemplative Prayer Thread

I am trying to get back into the habit of daily prayer. There has been mention of it in a private board between a couple of us in passing, and a few threads touching on it in the public boards I frequent. The purpose of the thread would be to help each other stick with our prayer life by providing support and tips, including different techniques and the struggles we encounter.

It worries me that such a thread doesn't fit neatly into any of the ship's boards. The closest is Heaven I suppose. It also worries me that the thread doesn't already exist - unless my search skills have let me down again. It might be on the old board too and not migrated. My fear is that the idea doesn't fit with what the ship is or for some other reason such threads don't work.

So, is the thread a good idea, would people like to participate, and do wiser heads than mine have any sage advice about why it's not a goer? If people think it is a goer, where should I put the thread?

Comments

• Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited July 2018
    I think it would be an awesome thread to have. I am guessing nobody's ever done it before (there's a first time for everything) and there's no more sinister reason for it failing to exist already. I'm pretty sure it'd belong in All Saints since it's for mutual support, though the hosts will know best.

I'd really be interested myself because I've got a lot of sick people in my family right now and we're all looking at a very rough ride over the next few months, so prayer is going to feature prominently. Also, I have a job right now where, if I don't pray with some minimal sincerity/effectiveness/what's the word I'm looking for, that fact would basically scuttle the quality of the work I'm doing. So any help would be most welcome.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    We had an Eighth Day discussion about contemplative prayer on Ye Olde Shippe where there were some helpful, supportive threads but I think it's been annihilated.

I too would welcome such a thread and think All Saints would be best if it's intended for mutual support; I'm sure an admin will be along soon to advise.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    Many years ago when I was going through a very difficult and doubting time, an older friend suggested I make time every single day for contemplative prayer, even if I could only manage 10 minutes. That changed everything.

I'd like to see a thread here for insights and support of contemplative prayer practice.
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    I would find such a thread helpful.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    As someone who seemingly hasn't prayed for years, except in brief spurts for people in need, and that more a cry for help than prayer proper, I'd welcome it.

I second Nenya for AS if mutual support is wanted.
  • Nenya wrote: »
    We had an Eighth Day discussion about contemplative prayer on Ye Olde Shippe where there were some helpful, supportive threads but I think it's been annihilated.
    The 8D Quiet Zone threads are all in Limbo on the old boards, conveniently located on the first page. I think this is the specific thread you want.
    I too would welcome such a thread and think All Saints would be best if it's intended for mutual support; I'm sure an admin will be along soon to advise.
    It's a definite borderline thread. If you want to talk about the practice, how such prayer works (in the "what should you do" sense rather than does God listen sense), etc then it's leaning towards a discussion board - Purgatory or Ecclesiantics depending on how you view it in relation to the "worship practice" theme of Ecclesiantics. If you want support on specific problems then All Saints - and it may well be that the existing prayer request thread would be the first port of call.
    I wouldn’t ask for prayer about my prayer habits or my faith on the existing prayer request thread. Not because we can’t, but it feels incongruous among all the prayer requests about serious illness. I know in theory I can post there, but I don’t, because it would feel wrong.
  • I envisage it as a thread about the practice of contemplative prayer, supporting each other with hints and tips on how to keep at it, which I find difficult at times. Threads are organic, but I wouldn't see it as primarily a place for prayer requests or emotional support, as I think the Ship does those things quite well already. I'm not one for saying 'don't do that' though, or at least that's not my self-image.

As an example, I imagine someone might mention a book or webpage they have found useful, or talk about particular forms of contemplative prayer (if I sound like I know what I'm talking about in the field, I do not. I'm an enthusiastic amateur). My recently discovered strategy is to go to a particular webpage with the day's readings and do a bit of lectio divina Toad-style as soon as I sit down to play my favorite computer game, which I do daily. That would be the type of thing I would post in the hope of getting feedback and/or sparking discussion.
  • I would really like one to run. Not for discussing what contemplative prayer is, but really a support thread like the fitness one but for people who are practising or thinking about practising contemplative prayer.
    Yes, what Jengie said is what I would like too. Not a debate thread, but a support thread, and people could still give tips like in the fitness threads if someone asks - say what helps them, for instance, in case it’s helpful to others. This kind of thread is something I would find very helpful.
  • GwaiGwai Epiphanies Host
    I think there might be room for more than one thread here. The discussion side of it would be welcome in Purgatory.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    And a support thread would do well in All Saints. Different threads in two different forums looks like a good answer to me.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I agree with Gwai and B62 - it could fly in two different directions on the two boards.
  • Does contemplative prayer mean not generating anything from myself like praise, thanksgiving, requests but to consider in some way something generated elsewhere? -I'm asking and also giving what I thought it meant.
  • Definitions vary and I suspect depend on where you encounter it. I would say that contemplative prayer covers a number of quietist forms of prayers including those listed on this Carmelite webpage.
  • I will start a primarily support thread in All Saints in the next day or so. I have a day off tomorrow so shall spend some time freaking out about the starting thread ( :) ) and then commit it to e-paper. I'd do it now but I worked overnight last night, so...

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.
  • After a little delay due to life the thread is up in All Saints.
  • Just to post a thought, maybe this is opportunity to use the tagging system. Thus if threads are started around this topic if they are all tagged something like "Prayer", then they can be posted on any board and if people want to see them together they just click on prayer.