Ship of Fools: Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Norwich, England

imageShip of Fools: Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Norwich, England

Do good – God will reward you

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• "No words exchanged beyond, 'Peace be with you'" - I don't think that is the time and place for prolonged conversation; if that is to happen then it is after the service. The opposite extreme to be avoided is talking about everything under the sun at that point in the service.

The position of closed communion does not stop the clergy from being sympathic about that and non-communicants are welcome and encouraged to go forward for a blesssing.
  • As regards the Peace, I agree. Keep it short!

As regards closed communion, yes, the RCC has its rules (which some priests might interpret loosely for what may seem to them good pastoral reasons), but, as you say, a blessing is freely available.
  • alphabeatriumalphabeatrium Shipmate Posts: 4
    If it hurts… what's stopping you becoming Catholic to receive? I mean that genuinely; as Catholics we believe that on the rock of Peter, Christ founded a single Church, and you are welcome to come inside. Not a pan-denominational Christian church without unity of doctrine; that is disunity. But rather one holy, universal ("catholic"), apostolic Church. Separation from the body and blood of Christ does hurt; I know it from the times I have sinned and deemed myself unworthy. Just remember that everyone is equally and warmly invited. Pax.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    The strict communion rules hurt because they make plain the disunity between churches. It is meant to hurt.
    I see no point at all in glossing that disunity over.
    Better relationships between churches can be expressed in other ways.
  • The OP got a cup of coffee, which is exactly one cup of coffee more than you’d get in any Irish Catholic Church. Why (Roman) Catholics don’t sing beats me.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    Plenty of non-RC churches have unity of doctrine; the RCC v a pan-denominational church is a false dichotomy. Even Protestants can be strict on communion rules, eg Brethren. Closed communion does not bother me as a non-RC. I think even in denominations without it, it is worth examining our consciences before receiving and choosing not to receive if that feels more appropriate.

I believe that the Anglican singing tradition grew out of English public schools and Oxbridge, which Roman Catholics were historically excluded from after the Reformation - congregational singing wasn't really a thing prior to that.
  • Also, pre-Vatican II, the RC tradition was to "hear" Mass, leaving prayer to the priest and altar boys, and singing to the choir. Exceptions would be the Children's Mass, at which the nuns saw to it that we sang or else; extra-Mass devotions; and Benediction. Thus, especially among the older crowd, post-V2 congregational singing never really caught on.

Of course, part of the problem is the syrupy-sacchariny quality of older RC hymns (think of "Mother Dear O Pray For Me" and "O Lord I Am Not Worthy") and the unbearably trite quality of post-V2 "singing nun" stuff. To the latter there are exceptions, especially some (but not all) of the St. Louis Jesuit songs (think "Come to the Water" and "One Bread, One Body"), and to their credit those do seem to have caught on. And despite all the talk about ecumenism, God forbid that "Protestant" hymns be used -- although again, there are exceptions.

As for extra-Mass devotions, in the church of my youth, the old Italian ladies had a Saturday morning devotion to Our Lady of Pompeii, at which they'd sing their hearts out (in Italian, of course). There was also a Tuesday evening devotion to St. Anthony, at which the attendees would also sing lustily.
  • And despite all the talk about ecumenism, God forbid that "Protestant" hymns be used -- although again, there are exceptions.
    I remember my freshman year in college (late 70s) when, on the last Sunday of October, I went to the nearby Catholic church for Mass—only the second Mass I had ever attended. The hymn at the end of the Mass was Martin Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.”

The last Sunday of October is, of course, traditionally observed in Lutheran and Presbyterian churches as Reformation Sunday. :lol:

• Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    Modern day RC hymnals have a good selection of traditional "protestant" hymns, so things have changed considerably. So for example at the funeral I am playing at tomorrow there will be "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" and "Crimond" along with "Eagles Wings" and "I watch the sunrise."
    Got to say the RC parish where I do the music sings lustily, and in spontaneous parts too, but then they know I would do a massive strop if they didn't take up their appointed liturgical role. There is a real up-side to not having a choir and putting the onus back on the congregation to play their proper part.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    German 'Ethnic Parishes" in the USA used to sing in the days before Vatican II, but generally the 'Low Mass' outlook of Anglo-Saxon Protestantism tended to defeat attempts at singing elsewhere. Dreadful music is usually an article of faith of the run of the mill parish of "the one wholly Irish Catholic and Apostolic Church" as might have been an appropriate description of the Catholic Church in the UK, Australian, NZ, and the USA about 1900.

And before you say anything, I have Irish Catholic ancestors.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    If it hurts… what's stopping you becoming Catholic to receive? I mean that genuinely; as Catholics we believe that on the rock of Peter, Christ founded a single Church, and you are welcome to come inside. Not a pan-denominational Christian church without unity of doctrine; that is disunity. But rather one holy, universal ("catholic"), apostolic Church. Separation from the body and blood of Christ does hurt; I know it from the times I have sinned and deemed myself unworthy. Just remember that everyone is equally and warmly invited. Pax.

O dear - bit of a pong of Dead Horse here, methinks. The RCC is the One True Church™, so come over to the light side...
    *sigh*

Many Shipmates will doubtless feel that they are still part of the 'church', even if they are not Roman Catholics.

• Not to beat a dead horse, but if I had a nickel for every church that claimed to be "the One True Church" -- well, I wouldn't be rich, but I could park all day on any street without worrying that the meter would run out.

The Roman Catholic Church is merely of the opinion that it is the One True Church and that other "ecclesial bodies" are invalid and thus unable to receive communion. It is of course entitled to think whatever it pleases, but as Elizabeth I said: “There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles.”
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if I had a nickel for every church that claimed to be "the One True Church" -- well, I wouldn't be rich, but I could park all day on any street without worrying that the meter would run out.

The Roman Catholic Church is merely of the opinion that it is the One True Church and that other "ecclesial bodies" are invalid and thus unable to receive communion. It is of course entitled to think whatever it pleases, but as Elizabeth I said: “There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles.”

My understanding is that the RCC church sees communion as a sign and expression of unity. That is why it doesn't have open altars. Its been a long while since I have heard or seen written the language of "one true church" outside the most right-wing parts of the church and those people who have broken away since Vat 2.
  • Alan29 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the RCC church sees communion as a sign and expression of unity.

Well, again, not to beat a dead horse, but define "unity." Does it mean that all who confess Jesus Christ as Lord are united, or only those who believe that the Papacy has descended in an unbroken line from Peter and that the Blessed Mother appeared to three little orphan girls in Portugal?

Not all the faith in the universe can make that which is not true, the truth. The important thing, as Elizabeth and countless others have known, is that you love God and strive to keep his commandments.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Alan29 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the RCC church sees communion as a sign and expression of unity.

Well, again, not to beat a dead horse, but define "unity." Does it mean that all who confess Jesus Christ as Lord are united, or only those who believe that the Papacy has descended in an unbroken line from Peter and that the Blessed Mother appeared to three little orphan girls in Portugal?

Not all the faith in the universe can make that which is not true, the truth. The important thing, as Elizabeth and countless others have known, is that you love God and strive to keep his commandments.

It obviously means within that communion.
    I believe in marriage, as most married people do, that doesnt entitle other married folk to share my matrimonial bed on the basis of that belief.
    Simples.
  • edited June 2019
    Yes, and I believe in enjoying good food in the company of friends, but I'll be damned if I'll invite you to my table -- you don't wear the same color eyeglass frames as I do.

I'm as guilty as anyone of derailing this thread, but let's get back to commenting on elements of the service attended, as reported, shall we?

Amanda B. Reckondwyth
    Lead Editor, Mystery Worship
  • john holdingjohn holding Host Emeritus
    About 5 posts above I drafted but failed to post the following;

We can stop this tangent right now, can't we, and return to the subject.

John Holding, host
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Sorty folks.