Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    A Facebook friend told me about that, Mrs. S - I don't suppose you could post a link, could you? Their obits are behind a paywall.
  • @Piglet , if you pm me your address, I will post you the actual paper copy tomorrow, with great pleasure. I don't subscribe to the online version and got a copy free from Waitrose today! but I'm afraid scanning and posting it somewhere is beyond my pay grade.
    That would be lovely, Mrs. S! I've had a PM from Ferijen with the text, but a paper copy would be great.

PM to follow. :)
  • I read what I could see Piglet but was not paying up. Looked good from a few paragraphs.
  • I could read the whole thing free just by registering. It was good - a wonderful man indeed.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Rejoicing for Tiny Toby's incremental progress, may it continue

Gratitude and thankfulness for the Friends of Piglet and D in a hard time

For the companionship aboard the Ship: I peeked in here on the old website in about 2004 and was terrified, came back a few years later and lurked about, finally joined up and helped scrub the deck along with others. Prayer often feels like rather pointless scrubbing until you see the boards look brighter.
  • Also read it by registering - a lovely tribute.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    A lovely, lovely obituary of D in the Telegraph today. I wonder if he realised in his lifetime how much he was loved, admired and valued?
    I wish I could read it! alas, it is open only to subscribers.

• Ross, you may just need to register for 30 days free?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    MaryLouise wrote: »

For the companionship aboard the Ship: I peeked in here on the old website in about 2004 and was terrified, came back a few years later and lurked about, finally joined up and helped scrub the deck along with others. Prayer often feels like rather pointless scrubbing until you see the boards look brighter.

I know what you mean MaryLouise. In 2010-11 when we were having so many quakes, I sometimes posted just before going to bed. Somehow the knowledge that people around the world in different time zones were praying for me and my city made it easier for me to sleep. I will always be grateful for that.
  • I was so grateful that so many around the world prayed for Miss M with leukaemia. Not so much for the actual numbers making a difference but for the support I felt in knowing of them all. The numbers in different timezones made me feel truly well supported.
    Ditto here when D. was ill, and after he died. It's very comforting to think that people you've never met, in countries you've never visited, are "holding you in the Light", as dear WW would put it.

:heart:
    Ross, you may just need to register for 30 days free?
    I tried to do the registering free thing, but they still wanted my bank details, and I don't have the right sort of debit card.

I think the fact that I'd been a subscriber in the past (so that we could get the crossword) probably meant I wasn't eligible for the free trial.
    When Shipmates around the world were praying for the Mater, she always said that she could feel it. I do, too - and knowing you all makes it even better.
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    Dunno where else to put this. Tearfully :smile: In church this morning, trying to make it work. The peace and communion does. Tears. The hymns are nearly all too... PSA. There again so was Jesus. But I deconstruct like a sunnavabitch and make it all work. Sod me. Tears. I want to honour Jesus and what He did divinely in ignorant human faith. But that's all an aside!

For over a year I am overwhelmed rationally by substantiality. Substance. Stuff and its self-explanitoriness. That needs no explanation. That cannot explain itself to us. It just is because it always has been. It means nothing at all. The massive Earth beneath my feet with infinite skies above. The solidity, the mass, the volume of it all. The church is beautiful. The stave ceiling like looking down in to the ark or up in to its salvaged inversion. The rest is 99% red(-orange) brick. Ordered, crystalline, geological, worlds within worlds; arches seen through arches. Order bespeaks meaning in this context, but in physics it does not. I lost that at 64.

I want God in Christ and in ineffable transcendence-immanence to be. But stuff gets in the way. Then in my mind's eye, eyes wide open, I saw, see now, through tears, reaching out this time, but not this morning, a white robed, white haired, white bearded yet eternally young figure on the left of centre, fifty feet away. Behind Him infinite pillars wreathed in clouds of incense. The unspoken message was, this wish was real and the brick mass and all out to the Milky Way for a start was vapour.

Thought I'd share that. In tears again : )

Dear God. Dear God.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Martin- In solidarity!

I went through a time of tears on every occasion I took communion.

Someone told the then Minister that I had been crying. He said - Huia knows where we are and will ask for help if she wants it. I appreciated both the person's concern and the Minster's reply.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    What a sensible minister! It would be nice to be able to cry in church without a flood of concern from other people.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes, unfortunately he's moved on since then.

G, my brother with Parkinson's had his procedure today and is back in the care home. His cat, Pud-Pud came running to meet him, then hid when she saw our sister-in-law, L who, like me has committed the heinous crime of taking her to the vet when she was unwell. L walked away quickly, but turned back to see the joyous reunion.

I am so glad he has Pud-Pud, a stray who turned up at our family home when he was still living there. She has adapted well to living in the Home.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Double posting to say I am delighted my broken hearing aids can be fixed for less the $100 and I will get them back on Wednesday, YaY Happy dance time.
  • Good news Huia from another user of such things.
  • I want to give thanks for the great gift to the Anglican Communion provided by the website Anglicans Online for the past 25 years. AO announced this week that they were more-or-less closing down, as they feel that other websites now cover their content. But I shall miss them, and especially their weekly letter on their home page.
  • Melangell wrote: »
    I want to give thanks for the great gift to the Anglican Communion provided by the website Anglicans Online for the past 25 years. AO announced this week that they were more-or-less closing down, as they feel that other websites now cover their content. But I shall miss them, and especially their weekly letter on their home page.

I'm sorry I missed their announcement. But I understand -- I used to check their website every Sunday evening for the week's postings. I rarely do anymore, because, as you say, most of what's posted has been read elsewhere.
  • Giving thanks that we weren’t hurt nor our car damaged by a wheel that came off a trailer passing right in front of us at a roundabout this morning. And thanks that Mrs Sioni (driver) saw this happen way before I did!
  • Thanks indeed!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sioni, that's scary. Mrs S sounds like an alert driver.

Wooo!! Happy dancing again. I received a text this morning to say my hearing aid was waiting at the Clinic for me to pick up. Brand as new - as one of my brothers used to say when he was a wee chap.

I am so fortunate I have a lovely, supportive Audiology Clinic and its on my bus route.
    Deo gratias, @sionisais!

Huzzah, @Huia!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Three cheers for good audiology clinics @Huia. Mine is very nice and just a ten minute walk away. As someone who is totally stuffed without their aids I can well imagine how glad you are to have a new one.
  • Mine was really great till a new receptionist arrived on scene. Incompetent and rude, till I emailed head office. The actual audiologist was lovely.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Melangell wrote: »
    I want to give thanks for the great gift to the Anglican Communion provided by the website Anglicans Online for the past 25 years. AO announced this week that they were more-or-less closing down, as they feel that other websites now cover their content. But I shall miss them, and especially their weekly letter on their home page.

As with Pigwidgeon, I shall miss the weekly read very much. It's been providing a valuable insight into world-wide activities within the Anglican Communion for many years. And what can one say about the weekly letter? Any rector would be pleased to have the author as a member of the congregation.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    The one time I visited Anglicans on-line I found the Ship.

My first rose of the season, Peace is in bud, while a mini rose developed here by Sam Macready, Ko's Yellow is in flower. I do not have a brilliant garden because I don't put a lot of time into it, but it always lifts my spirits when the roses start blooming.
  • My Peace has two fresh buds on it and healthy green shoots. In ground about three weeks and is thriving.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    My husband had a health check at work a few weeks ago and they sent him to a haematologist as they were worried about his blood count. I'd tried to forget about it as what with an ill brother and a mother in a care home I didn't want another family member being poorly. He went yesterday and he's fine. Apparently the low count is normal in very thin people like him. Hallelujah!
  • Hallelujah indeed, Sarasa! What excellent news, and you could really do with some :smiley:
    Hallelujah, Sarasa!
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Hurrah for very thin people!

(And for all others feeling the caring hand of God upon them and around them.)
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Just received a text to say that the screening mammogram I had last week shows no sign of cancer. I didn't think I was worried, but the extent of my relief proved I had been. Phew!
  • Hooray, @Huia! That's fantastic news!
  • Hooray from me too Huia! It's great that we have these screenings, but it can be a bit of an anxious time waiting for the results.
    Excellent, Huia! :)
  • Amen, amen, amen!
    Oh, that's such good news, @Huia!
  • Yesterday Little Beaky's mother sent us a video of him laughing.
    Laughing for a full minute- no one knows quite what he found so amusing but he did.
    He hasn't laughed like that since April, such has been the level of his suffering.

He appears to breaking through the sedative effect of his seizure meds. He is still having far too many of those and there is a long way to go in their management but for now there is nothing quite so beautiful as the sound of his joy.
  • Beautiful!
  • How lovely to hear that.
    :heart: Little Beaky :heart:
    God bless Little Beaky and those who love him.
  • Tiny Toby has been released from hospital and is on his way home!
    Indebted to all for the prayers over the last 108 days!!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Thankfulness for Tiny Toby's homecoming and the beautiful laughter of Little Beaky.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Tiny Toby has been released from hospital and is on his way home!
    Indebted to all for the prayers over the last 108 days!!

This is wonderful news!
  • Great news about tiny Toby.