Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• Boogie the shenanigans are adorable!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Anselmina wrote: »
    Boogie the shenanigans are adorable!

Note how little energy Tatze expends! :lol:

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    She doesn't need to - her wee friend's expending enough for both of them! :heart:
  • I wasn't sure where to post this, but it made me smile - though I'm not sure about the ethics of dogs in bootees, the
    pups in papooses
    are adorable!
    Aren't they just! :heart:
  • Thought we had lost the Miaisie cat last night. Not like her not to come home for her food. This morning her daughter (whom the Maisie cat despises and abuses) led me to her - shut in the greenhouse! Quite a relief for all concerned.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I can imagine your relief, Cathscats!
  • That reminds me of the time I accidentally locked the lovely Lionel of blessèd memory in the granny flat. He signalled his location by "improving" the arrangement of the slats of the Venetian blind on the door...
  • I once heard a faint twang twang in my parents' house that turned out to be their kitten asking to be freed from the crawl space. She'd gotten shut in there and was peering through a grate -- hooking a claw behind the wires and signaling for help.
    A friend of ours was having work done on his house which involved floorboards being taken up and re-laid, and I'm sure you can imagine where his mysteriously absent cat turned up after some very indignant miaowing ...
  • Dormouse wrote: »
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but it made me smile - though I'm not sure about the ethics of dogs in bootees, the
    pups in papooses
    are adorable!
    Adorable, but contrasting shockingly with the abandoned dogs all over Chile - people take on adorable pups and then abandon them when they are older. This is seen as being “acceptable” and “normal”.

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    There's a giant kitty in my house! Daughter-Unit and her dear hubby are going away for a few days, so I get the keep Onyx for a while! He has diabetes, and is on a special diet.

The poor boy craves carbs. He once found the baggie that holds D-U's work sandwich, and opened the bag to eat the bread. His vet is amazed that he wants bread so much. D-U and her DH have to hide everything to keep him on his diet!!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Iris would have eaten the plastic bag instead.
    Tabby, the cat for whom we worked while house-sitting, would have licked off the butter. At first we couldn't understand why they had elastic bands holding the lid on the butter-dish ... :smiley:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy has lost weight and is running a high temperature. She is spending the night in the Animal and Bird Hospital for antibiotics and observation. I will pick her up tomorrow and continue medicating her for a week. Thank goodness the medication comes in the form of paste, not pills as neither of us handle pills very well.
  • That's not good news, Huia. Hope Georgie-Porgy recovers well.
  • Dormouse wrote: »
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but it made me smile - though I'm not sure about the ethics of dogs in bootees, the
    pups in papooses
    are adorable!

Very cute. I think I've heard of military service dogs sometimes using shoes because of the rough kind of ground they work on - glass, broken rubble, sharp metal shards etc. Protects their paddy-paws.
    That makes sense, Anselmina.

Huia, I hope G-P, f&f feels better soon.
    I hope G-P improves rapidly.
  • Hear, hear. It's miserable when they're poorly.
  • All good wishes for G-P, Huia.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    G-P is home from The Animal and Bird Hospital and much more perky, but still sneezing and not allowed outside until Monday morning. For the next week I have to put anti-biotic cream in her mouth every evening, as well as the transdermal gel in her ears in the morning. She has spent most of the time since she came home gazing longingly through the screen doors, waiting for them to be opened. :cry:

The good news is that she is now eating well - her weight loss was a worrying aspect of her condition.
    Get well soon G-P xx
  • Good news, Huia. I have always enjoyed your posts about her.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm so glad that G-P is doing better! Since she's eating more, I know that's a relief to you, Huia!
  • Good News about GP may she continue to improve. Happy to hear she is not totally unhappy about being inside.
    Hurrah for GP! That's a relief.

My cats were quite pleased to see me when I got home last night, and have been behaving like ambulatory Velcro today. That's probably the best thing about having to come home from holiday so early.

edited September 2018
    Glad to hear about G-P! :smiley:
  • Excellent news about G_P, Huia.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks everyone. I have loved all my cats, but Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy has a special place because we went through all the shaky times together.

The vet said she could probably go outside today, but she's not pushing it so I will see how it goes. If she get's really pushy then I may let her out later this afternoon.
  • Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    edited October 2018
    Took Molly for her vet check-up today. She came through with flying colors, but it wore both of us out. She is all happy because she thinks we are going for a ride, then I turn on the street where the vet's office is and the winning, shaking and panting starts. We had to wait 20 minutes to see the vet, by then she has worked herself into a royal hissy fit. Vet gave her a treat at the end of the visit, which she took for the first time. So maybe we are making some progress. We came home and she drank her bowl dry and has now been napping for two hours. Any suggestions on how to make this less stressful?
  • If you can, take her to the vet office every few days just for the ride and give her a treat when you get there. Then go home. Eventually up this to going inside and having the receptionist give her a treat, then go home. You know you've won when the trip inspires hope and not fear. Do booster runs every so often later, so she doesn't slip back into thinking it's always going to be bad.
  • Good idea Lamb Chopped, I had thought the same thing, but not just as slowly. I was going to take her into vets office walk out and then treat. I think your way is better. First few times do not go in.
    It makes sense - if she can associate the vet's surgery with something nice, she'll be raring to go!
    I take our dogs to the vets once a month just to get weighed. We pop in the consulting room if it’s empty too.

The vets and assistants make a fuss of them and give them treats which helps to build up good associations.

Spencer at the vets.
    No wonder he doesn't mind going to the vet when he's made a fuss of like that! :smiley:
  • We do the same - monthly visits to weigh her. She's never been afraid there. One of the assistants is named, "Joy", so I ask her if she wants to go visit Joy and we go from there. She thinks it is the best spot ever.

Some things to research on, look up animal husbandry or positive dog husbandry or Counter Conditioning and Desensitzation or developing a +Conditioned Emotional Response. You are not the only one who has needed to change a reaction.
  • Thanks all. Will start weekly visits next Friday. We also board her there so I am thinking it would be best to find another place to board her so she does not connect vet with being left overnight. That is to bad as they have nice kennels and walk her twice a day plus have one play time. I am also reassured with vet near by in case she should become ill. Gads it is like leaving the children off their first day at school.
    Climacus wrote: »

It’s against the law over here. Taxis lose their licence to trade if they refuse Guide Dogs.

Assistance dogs and the law.

• It doesn't always work. One of the Young'uns is blind and there was a furious tweet the other week that they'd had to threaten calling the police to get the taxi driver to take the guide dog.
    It doesn't always work. One of the Young'uns is blind and there was a furious tweet the other week that they'd had to threaten calling the police to get the taxi driver to take the guide dog.

Yes, but they do get prosecuted so the word slowly gets round.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That sounds like NZ law too. I think there is often a warning, plus shaming in the media, then a prosecution on second offense.
  • Boogie, Spencer's gorgeous!!
  • We have just got a puppy (black Cockapoo bitch). Only had her for four and a half days and we're already exhausted... but she is totally worth it. Anyone got tips for house-training? She hasn't quite cracked it yet, although she is very good at night and hasn't made a mess in her crate since the first night.
  • Congratulations, Jane R! My previous best friend was a female Cockapoo -- a sweet, lovable darling. Sorry, I have no advice on house-training. Give her a big hug from as former Cockapoo mom.
    :smile:

(My current best friend is also a sweet, lovable darling female, of indeterminate breed.)
  • Today's excitement: meeting a friend's dog for the first time. She was a bit nervous of him (he's a Labrador cross, so much bigger than her) but she was wagging her tail all the time. And he was really sweet with her... though it took him a while to work out that she was really a dog, because he doesn't meet many that tiny!
    Jane R wrote: »
    We have just got a puppy (black Cockapoo bitch). Only had her for four and a half days and we're already exhausted... but she is totally worth it. Anyone got tips for house-training? She hasn't quite cracked it yet, although she is very good at night and hasn't made a mess in her crate since the first night.

Here is the best advice on potty training - it doesn’t matter that she’s not a Lab, the advice is the same.

The Happy Puppy Handbook is well worth a read too (on the same site)🙂🐾
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I think I am going insane. Georgie-Porgy was underfoot when I was trying to bake one of the Christmas cakes. I told her Father Christmas doesn't come to bad cats. She looked at me scornfully.
  • As only cats can , Huia.