Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Malmesbury Abbey, Malmesbury, England

imageShip of Fools: Malmesbury Abbey, Malmesbury, England

It covered a multitude of shortcomings – and then there were the birds!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Well, each to his own - but the fact that the Abbey's website lists a 4pm Sunday contemporary service (at a convenient time for families) must surely give the lie to the belief that the church has seen better days (assuming, that is, that it attracts people who might not be able to get to the 9am and/or 1030am Communion services).

I also note that BCP Evensong is held only once a month, so yes, there may be some shortcomings. If other people find the same shortcomings as the MWer, the Abbey might do well to do away with this service, and concentrate on things they 'feel more comfortable' with!
  • I might have thought that less than half-full is not bad for an evening service these days. I would have been more comfortable with Urganda's assessment of the service if they had given us a bit more detail, or explained why they felt that "their heart wasn't in it," or why Urganda thought they couldn't "wholeheartedly encourage them in their mission." I was a bit puzzled by this.
  • I might have thought that less than half-full is not bad for an evening service these days. I would have been more comfortable with Urganda's assessment of the service if they had given us a bit more detail, or explained why they felt that "their heart wasn't in it," or why Urganda thought they couldn't "wholeheartedly encourage them in their mission." I was a bit puzzled by this.

TBH if our main morning service was half full it'd be really good... and the 'wholeheartedly encourage' bit confused me too
  • Yes, I think some further explanation is called for - enquiring minds need to know!

BTW, 'half-full', though it does give some idea of attendance, would be a little clearer if we knew how many the church could comfortably accommodate, seated.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    The 'how full' question is an intensely subjective one. Our church seats about 210*, but feels 'half full' at about the 50 mark. Other buildings, which are of similar size to ours still feel relatively empty with 75-80, or even 100 in them. Much depends on that lay out, and the people's sitting habits. Our folks tend to sit together towards the front+, which can make the church feel quite empty, if you come in the main door, but most folks sneak in under the tower, and into the pack. I am told that if you are actually in the pack it feels reasonably full.

* - you could actually get a few more in than that, but the new city fire marshal went on the rampage recently.
    + - though, of course, being Anglicans the actual front pew is scrupulously avoided.
  • Subjective indeed - Our Place seats about 100-120, but there are no pews in north or south aisles, nor at the west end of the nave. IOW, the area for the congregation is relatively small, so even just 25-30, our ASA, spread out as they usually are, feels comfortable.

It's just that, for me, being told 'the church seats about 200, and was roughly half-full' gives a clearer idea. Granted, if they're Good Anglicans, about 85 of the 100 will be in the back half of the church...
    :smile:

O, and it's sometimes useful to know, at services such as Evensong, where congregations may sometimes be reported as single figures, how many people are in the choir. They're congregation, too!
  • I've been to the Abbey and have a reasonable idea of their approach. Might it be a little on the evangelical side for the reviewer?
  • Would 'open evangelical' be a fair description, I wonder?
    :wink:
  • Mmm I think they'd be rather closer to New Wine evangelicalism (there's a big Scripture Union event that takes place there each year). Not fully open nor fully closed. Besides I don't really know what "Open" means nor involves