Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

The New, New Crew's Quiz

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'd have been further up the leader-board in March if I'd stuck to doing the quiz on the desktop - when I use the Tablet my speed is absolute rubbish.
    Not loving it at all today - it didn't remember the chuffing superhero bloke either. :rage:
    Not loving it very much today either - chuffing fil-lums! :rage:
    Bottom of the pile, despite getting them all right! :confused:

I see the quizmasters' obsession with Jonah doesn't seem to be abating - four questions out of ten about him and his wretched whale ... :frowning:
  • This will be why Jonah the Whale is scoring so highly. Any chance of more questions on ritual washings?
  • I am not having a good month.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Doing the quiz on my phone is really a slow attempt!!
    I wish I'd noticed any of the cast other than Dustin Hoffmann in Tootsie ... :blush:
  • Not only *&!* fillums but one never given general release in the UK - FOUL!!!!
    edited April 2018
    Too right, Organist! *&%$@(*! And I changed a right guess to a wrong one ...

Would anyone care to point out to our dear quizmasters that that isn't how you spell Reykjavik? :smiley:
    Third place - that's better!

Anyone else notice how everyone's speeds take a dive when there's an algebra question? :confused:
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Third place - that's better!

Anyone else notice how everyone's speeds take a dive when there's an algebra question? :confused:

And I always get them wrong.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    Piglet wrote: »

The questions, and answers, take significantly longer to parse than the normal questions. (Because math is compact - a small amount of math can contain as much information as a whole paragraph or two of prose.)
    Managed to change a wrong to a right today - that makes me feel better! :)
    edited April 2018
    Guessometer, you're fired. :(

eta: Piglet, you're rubbish.
  • Piglet wrote: »

Would anyone care to point out to our dear quizmasters that that isn't how you spell Reykjavik? :smiley:

You mean to say you haven't been paying attention to those weird questions that say "what should you do if you find mistakes in a question?"
  • Now its US-only over-the-counter medicines :confounded:
  • Well, that's our problem for using a US-based quiz website that each day gives us a (supposedly) random sprinkling** of its questions, which will have been submitted by a presumably predominantly US-based group of users.

Has anyone tried making their own set of questions, to see if they ever get used ?

** there are some questions we see again and again, you just have to get to remembering what the correct answer was the last time
    FIL-LUMS!!! :rage:
  • Now its US wedding traditions :rage:
    That wasn't a US wedding tradition that I was aware of!
    I assumed it was just yet another way to make Americans spend more money ...

How did I manage to get into second place with only 9/10 and taking 94 seconds??? :confused:
    The link seems to have snuck rather far up the page, so here we are again:

Brain gym this way!
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Apr 18

28 players played during the month.

1. Anna_Baptist (328 points, 4 wins)
    2. wet_kipper (324 points, 10 wins)
    3. Jonah_the_Whale (320 points, 3 wins)
    4. ceesharp (295 points, 4 wins)
    5. TheRogue (239 points, 0 wins)
    6. TreeBee (226 points, 0 wins)
    7. Gussie (225 points, 2 wins)
    8. piglet (204 points, 0 wins)
    9. SidneyRip (175 points, 1 wins)
    10. leorningcniht (162 points, 3 wins)
    I'm surprised I made the top 10 in April - I was mostly a bit rubbish. Today I was only slightly rubbish - why would I know anything about (allegedly) famous people from South Dakota?
  • Yes, I agree. Whenever I hear "Dakota" I get an earworm of that Doris Day singing the ghastly The black hills of Dakota from Calamity Jane.
  • More fillums :cry:
    Guessometer was pretty persistent in tapping me on the shoulder. Good job, little dude!
  • Lacrosse mallet (the other day)! What was I thinking?
    Clever Guessometer! <passes small dram>
  • Lacrosse mallet (the other day)! What was I thinking?
    You don't think normal lacrosse is challenging enough?
    There I was, feeling moderately smug at having got 10/10 in 37 seconds, only to find that I'm second from the bottom of the heap.

Stuff that for a lark. :disappointed:
    Got that punching a sister when seeing a vehicle one wrong for the millionth time!
  • What is this business of sibling violence? Nanny would have punished it with early bed no supper.
    I know! Never happened in my household, at least never when spotting a vehicle.
  • Grrrrr! Now its obscure, USA regional theme parks.
    Exactly. :rage:
    The location of the arachnid messed me up. Because it was incorrect!!!
    Thanks be to the Guessometer for nudging me in the right direction! :)
  • Piglet wrote: »
    There I was, feeling moderately smug at having got 10/10 in 37 seconds, only to find that I'm second from the bottom of the heap.

Stuff that for a lark. :disappointed:

I know the feeling. 10/10 yesterday in 30 seconds. Finished 7th.
    Good Guessometer on the president. Bad Guessometer on the hockey. :(
  • Just brace yourself for Q10... :astonished:
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Well at least I got it right @TheOrganist, not that I'm likely to ever need to use the information!
    Guessometer was AWOL today. Rats!
    Indeed - and it hasn't seen The Lion King either. :cry:
    Managed 10/10 in 37 seconds today using the Tablet - I wonder how fast I'd have been on a proper computer?
  • Blimey! Two weeks on the trot I've managed full marks on Bible trivia.

I think I'd better go and lie down in a darkened room :astonished:
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    Top by virtue of alphabetical order - sorry ceesharp.

If you are the first person to finish in a certain time, then you will be considered ahead of any later people who complete in the same time - first come first served - it's a small help for those of us who live on the "earlier in the day" side of the pond to make up for some of the more regionally specific questions

At least, that was my understanding when completing with a time already in existence. Maybe I'm just cursed with a later in the alphabet name

well, today was finally an occasion where I could test my hypothesis, and I am correct.
    ceesharp got the same score and time as me today, but because I got there first, I am higher in the standings, despite being "alphabetically" lower

so it does pay to get your answers in as early in the day as possible.

Chuffing 'Murcan adverts. Despite having lived on the left-hand side of the big pond for nearly 15 years (where you get television commercials every 10 minutes), I've never heard that slogan. :angry: