Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Emmanuel Episcopal, Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

imageShip of Fools: Emmanuel Episcopal, Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Eucharist or concert?

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• I couldn’t agree more about mixed feelings on whether it’s a concert or Holy Eucharist. This particular church is known for it’s Bach cantatas. There was a now closed Catholic Church nearby that availed its space and organ for the BSO and New England Conservatory to practice but never during Mass for the very same reason.
  • I once attended a mass in a Spanish church (my Ŧarazona report, which disappeared somewhere at the Ship changeover) where the students from a nearby conservatory had turned the parish weekday evening masses into impromptu concerts/practices. When I spoke with the priest afterward, he seemed a bit bemused by all of this, but his affection for the students was such that anything they did was fine. My Viana report also featured a visiting orchestra, but such things feel quite natural in the surrealistic context of a Camino. Still, AC Priest may well have a point about the choice of music....although he may be overstating the role of joy in participation.... perhaps a matter of emphasis.
  • I once attended a mass in a Spanish church (my Ŧarazona report, which disappeared somewhere at the Ship changeover)

The old Camino reports are here. They resided in a different location on the old Ship server from where the "regular" reports resided. The applet that was used to port the reports over to the new server did not know enough to look in locations other than the "regular" one.
  • edited November 2020
    I once attended a mass in a Spanish church (my Ŧarazona report, which disappeared somewhere at the Ship changeover)

The old Camino reports are here. They resided in a different location on the old Ship server from where the "regular" reports resided. The applet that was used to port the reports over to the new server did not know enough to look in locations other than the "regular" one.

Ah that explains the mystery. thanks.

The curious or idle might want to look at http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/specials/camino/3132.html or at: http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/specials/camino/1887.html.