Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Tijuana, Mexico

imageShip of Fools: Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Tijuana, Mexico

Spending some time with the Blessed Sacrament - and with Our Lady of Loreto

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• The act of entering a church on one’s knees is an act of piety in giving thanks to the BVM for prayers answered. It’s very common in Mexico and Central America. It’s also practiced with great zeal in the Philippines. Imelda Marcos was known to perform this act of piety in St Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC during her time that she lived there. It was quite the spectacle I’m told. Maybe she just confessed to the priest how much US aid money her and her husband stole and she received a very harsh penance.
  • Yes, the first I heard of the custom was the news report regarding Mrs. Marcos. St. Patrick's has a pretty long center aisle -- I hope she was wearing stockings with reinforced knees.

It should be noted that the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe is still the seat of the Archbishop of Tijuana. Construction on the new cathedral was canceled as the design for the new cathedral was deemed not to look enough like a cathedral. A competition for a new design, open only to Mexican architects, is currently underway.