Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Matthew’s, Borstal, Rochester, England

imageShip of Fools: St Matthew’s, Borstal, Rochester, England

Not the finest specimens of humankind – but a good sermon!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• I couldn't help wondering, having been asked to use the NRSV as I was the reader, whether it makes the point of the irrelevance of outward appearance: 'Now he was ruddy, and had beautiful eyes, and was handsome."
    Though 'ruddy' made me think of any New Zealand lad out every day on the family farm with. the sheep.
  • I can't offhand recall the version used yesterday, but the preacher certainly made the point about the irrelevance of David's appearance...
  • Our preacher said (with tongue obviously firmly in cheek), “So apparently being good-looking doesn't hurt either.”

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    :lol:

They didn't have this reading at Our Place. When I checked the lectionary, I saw that Our Place was using the *Related* readings (with a chunk of Ezekiel), whereas St Matthew's was using the *Continuous* readings.

I speak of the C of E's lectionary, of course - an arcane publication.
  • Possibly so: but presumably inscribed immutably of tablets of stone.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Our readings were of the Vineyard (OT) and Mustard seed (NT) variety. Slim pickings for those of us who chose hymns - "Ah well, it will be some of the General Section ones, then."
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    Possibly so: but presumably inscribed immutably of tablets of stone.

No such luck - they change the bleeping thing about every 20 years - 1961, 1980, & 2000 being the last three. Before that the Daily Office Lectionary had been modified in 1922, and 1871, but the Eucharistic lectionary had not been touched since 1662 and that was pretty minor. The good news is they are due to change it now, 2021, but there are no signs of them doing so.
  • With congregational singing still proscribed in England (and unlikely to be resumed until July at the earliest), the hymn-choosers don't really have a problem right now!

OTOH, it gives the organist the chance to play some improvisations on tunes hitherto unfamiliar to the congregation...

At the service I MWed, the organist played a gentle prelude (composer unknown to me), an improvisation on *Holy, Holy, Holy* (Nicaea) during Communion, and what sounded very much like a Bach postlude.

Yes, and in Sumerian cuneiform, too...
    :naughty:

• Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    With congregational singing still proscribed in England (and unlikely to be resumed until July at the earliest), the hymn-choosers don't really have a problem right now!

OTOH, it gives the organist the chance to play some improvisations on tunes hitherto unfamiliar to the congregation...

At the service I MWed, the organist played a gentle prelude (composer unknown to me), an improvisation on *Holy, Holy, Holy* (Nicaea) during Communion, and what sounded very much like a Bach postlude.

Yes, and in Sumerian cuneiform, too...
    :naughty:

Yes, twiddling around with an apposite hymn is what I do at the offertory while the readings and homily are still fresh in folks minds. PreMass, communion and postMass gets more solid fare.
  • Folks, let's not twiddle too far away from the details of the service reported on. Discussion of musical offerings in lieu of singing belongs elsewhere.

@Amanda B Reckondwyth
    Lead Editor, Mystery Worship
  • With Miss Amanda's admonition duly in mind, I will just add that I was a bit surprised not to have had any music during the offertory/preparation of the altar.