Ship of Fools: Gloria Dei Old Swedes Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

imageShip of Fools: Gloria Dei Old Swedes Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Subdued and small Ash Wednesday service in this beautiful historic church

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    What an interesting church, with an interesting MW report. I went to the church site, and was fascinated to read that the interim priest had been brought up in the Mar Thoma tradition (one of the very oldest Christian churches) before becoming an Anglican.
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    Why was Ash Wednesday on Thursday?
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited March 2022
    The calendar on Gloria Dei Old Swedes’ website shows the service as having been on Wednesday, so I’m guessing that Thursday is a typo or system-generated (perhaps due to defaulting to the date the report is created) error.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    It may well have been Wednesday in Philadelphia when it was sent, but Thursday when it arrived in London. The system made an automatic change.
  • Could be, could be. I corrected it.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Curious. The Swedes (human ones, that is, not the root vegetable) are usually Lutheran and the Swedish Church certainly is. Yet this church is Episcopalian. And 'Old Swedes' immediately poses the question, 'is this a church for geriatric Swedes?' rather than a church that used to be Swedish, which appears to be what it actually denotes.
  • you will remember that the Evangelical Lutheran church of Sweden is,unlike German Lutheran churches for the most part, an episcopally ordered organisation with the Archbishop of Upsalla as its Primate. It has retained from pre Reformation times eucharistic vestments and the celebration of Mass as the principal liturgical service.
    In a context where the English language is dominant it is hardly a big jump to the Episcopla Church
    edited March 2022
    They claim to be the oldest surviving congregation in America. Betsy Ross, who (legend has it, although many historians believe the story to be apocryphal) designed the first American flag in consultation with George Washington, was married from this church in 1777. When a local coalition of Swedish Lutheran churches dissolved in 1843, the congregation applied for membership in what was then the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America (this is still the denomination’s official name, although ‘The Episcopal Church’ is much more commonly used).

And FWIW, a “swede” isn’t a root vegetable in the US. It’s called a “rutabaga” here.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    They claim to be the oldest surviving congregation in America. Betsy Ross, who (legend has it, although many historians believe the story to be apocryphal) designed the first American flag in consultation with George Washington, was married from this church in 1777. When a local coalition of Swedish Lutheran churches dissolved in 1843, the congregation applied for membership in what was then the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America (this is still the denomination’s official name, although ‘The Episcopal Church’ is much more commonly used).

And FWIW, a “swede” isn’t a root vegetable in the US. It’s called a “rutabaga” here.
    Apologies—I had put in a sentence before the quote in the above post noting that the origin of the name “Old Swedes” was in the MW report, which the quote comes from. But apparently I inadvertently edited that sentence out.

• Their bragging rights about being the oldest is in question. I live in a city chock full of creaky old churches that best that. Technically the oldest is the US that are still functioning are the RC Cathedral Basilica of St Augustine in FL (1565) and St John’s Episcopal (1610) inHampton,VA.
  • I generally take claims of “oldest” with a grain of salt. And I generally pay attention to exactly how the claim is worded.

As the MW report says, the claim made by Old Swedes is that it is “the oldest congregation in continuous existence in the United States.” Whether “congregation” is an important distinction in the sense of “organized group of people” in contrast to, say, parish in the geographical sense (which would have applied in colonial Virginia) or cathedral, which may or may not have a standing congregation, or whether “continuous existence” has some particular import here, I cannot say.

• And, @boston_irish, you will note that they claim only to be the oldest church building in Pennsylvania, not in Massachusetts, Florida or Virginia.

Miss Amanda would gently encourage @Enoch and other readers of MW reports to click on [Click here to display church info] before posing questions that could be answered by reading the contents thereof.
  • I was responding to what my eyes read in the first sentence. “ They claim to be the oldest surviving congregation in America,” That’s pretty straight forward.
    edited March 2022
    I was responding to what my eyes read in the first sentence. “ They claim to be the oldest surviving congregation in America,” That’s pretty straight forward.
    Yes, but it’s not quite what the church’s website says. It says “in continuous existence,” not “surviving.”

The webpage for St. John’s, Hampton says this about its history after the American Revolution: “Although several priests officiated in the parish in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s, its life could be described as moribund, and the building was severely neglected.” It also suggests that there was no vestry during that time. So perhaps “congregation in continuous existence” isn’t an accurate description of it during that period? I dunno.

Like I said, I generally takes claims such as these with a grain of salt. But I do take note of the fact that while Old Swedes describes itself as “the oldest congregation in continuous existence in the United States,” St. John’s, Hampton, describes itself as “the oldest English-speaking parish in America.” The lawyer in me assumes specific words were chosen for specific reasons; otherwise just say “the oldest church in America.” But maybe not, and maybe Old Swedes is just making an unsupportable claim.

Either way, I fear we may be trying Miss Amanda’s patience, so I’ll apologize in advance and speculate no more.

• Agreed. Let’s play nice, it’s Lent. 😇
  • She'll only say that the congregation is not the building -- or so we hear it preached over and over again. :smirk:
  • angloid wrote: »
    Why was Ash Wednesday on Thursday?

In the unlikely event that it was not an error, it's possible that TEC, like SEC, has provision to move the imposition of ashes to later in the first week in Lent if required (usually because of availability of clergy).
  • I received the ashes once in South Africa on the Second Sunday of Lent because that was the day that the priest came to the small town where we were visiting.
  • [stamping foot]

Let us confine this discussion to what happened at Old Swedes Church, please.

[reassuming her gentle pleasant demeanor]
  • Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    Does it really matter whether the Old Swedes are old or not? What surely counts is their present day welcome - and whether they are likely to survive the present decade. With only a dozen present for one of the most important services of the year, there must be some doubt about that.
  • Enoch wrote: »
    Curious. The Swedes (human ones, that is, not the root vegetable) are usually Lutheran and the Swedish Church certainly is. Yet this church is Episcopalian. And 'Old Swedes' immediately poses the question, 'is this a church for geriatric Swedes?' rather than a church that used to be Swedish, which appears to be what it actually denotes.

In colonial days, folk were not as denominationally inclined in identity. The few congregations of the Church of Sweden, mainly in Delaware, were often served by CoE clergy, as were German congregations in Nova Scotia. Some became absorbed into the developing Anglican or Episcopalian (after 1783) jurisdictions, others became part of Lutheran networks. Given the distances and travelling times from the old country in terms of obtaining replacement clergy, settlers usually went for the more convenient availability of CoE clergy.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    Enoch wrote: »

Some Swedish Lutheran congregations migrated to the Episcopal Church in the mid-1700s as their continued adherence to the mother church in Sweden was proving impractical once Swedish efforts at colonization in North America proved to be a step too far. Relations between the CofE and the CofSwe were fairly cordial around 1700, but an attempt at intercommunion spear-headed by John Robinson who had been the English representative in Stockholm and was later Bishop of London failed because the Swedes found the Thirty-Nine Articles too Calvinistic.