Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Camelback Church of Christ, Phoenix, Arizona, USA

imageShip of Fools: Camelback Church of Christ, Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Our reporter was quizzed about taking pictures but otherwise thought they were lovely people at this church.

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Having no place to put the Mystery Worshiper card, I mailed it to them on Monday.
  • I've done that sometimes -- didn't think of it this time.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2018
    And there was me thinking Graven Image was, in fact, Miss Amanda....

I was about to claim my £5.
    :grimace:

A good idea if circumstances dictate, though the MW card is small enough to conceal within a carefully-folded banknote...
    :wink:

(Yes, yes - I can hear indigent MWers muttering, 'What is this banknote thingy of which you speak?'. The smallest note we have here is £5 - do you still have $1 notes in the US?)

IJ
  • edited October 2018
    Yes, $1 notes (dollar bills, we call them) still exist. All efforts to introduce a $1 coin have failed, partially because the size of the resulting coin is too close to that of a quarter (25¢). Plus, people would rather hoard them as collectors' items than spend them. The old-style silver dollar, which was visibly larger than any other coin but hasn't been minted since 1936, has also become a collectors' item if you're lucky enough to find one in your great-grandmother's coin jar.

While I was still working (and could afford it), I would frequently wrap a $20 bill around the MW card. Nowadays, in retirement, I'm more likely to use a $5 bill.

But that ploy still fails if the collection is taken away to be counted immediately. Of course, the envelope ploy fails also under that circumstance, but I like to fool myself into thinking that my secret is safer enclosed in an envelope than wrapped inside a banknote.

As I said in the report, the best circumstance is when the collection is brought up to the altar in procession, to be set aside and counted later, when the Amandamobile and I are safely away.
  • Yes indeed.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" (Sir Walter Scott, 1808)

IJ