Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

Comments

• My blood came back ... "cancer markers" are DOWN and significantly so
    Which means it's working...
  • The "it" being love, thoughts 'n prayers, nutrition, drugs, doctors
  • Wonderful news!
  • Fabulous news Galilit. Long may it continue.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Thank you for sharing your good news, Galilit!
  • Really glad to hear this Galilit
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Excellent, Galilit - long may it continue!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Galilit wrote: »
    My blood came back ... "cancer markers" are DOWN and significantly so
    Which means it's working...
    Oh, that's wonderful news, Galilit! May they stay that way.

• Excellent news, Galilit!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Great news, Galilit and Dormouse.
    I'm giving thanks for the at least partial bannination of the Finance Monster.
  • @Piglet I'm so, so glad!
    Thanks, Mrs. S!
    Hallelujah, Piglet!
    Brava, Piglet!
    Thanks, ladies!
    Such good news in a tough January, Piglet!
    Absolutely!
  • Brilliant news Piglet
    Thank you!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yay Piglet!

I want to give thanks for all the support I have received over Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy. It felt like I had people from all around the world with me this afternoon when I was doing really difficult stuff. I have buried her in the back yard with some flowers the pet taxi driver E picked when she was walking dogs this morning. Spooky, the black cat from down the road kept me company.

I am sad, but not unhappy.

I handed in her expensive medication so another cat can benefit (Georgie had been the recipient of free meds, when other cats died, so I was happy to donate it) and tomorrow I will take her packets of food to The Cats' Protection League (we had more than usual as it was on 'Special' a couple of weeks ago.

I'm keeping her large water bowl in the back yard as cats from all over use it - kind of like an African watering hole.
    Love that African watering hole as a memorial. Take care, Huia.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Good to hear, Huia.
  • (((Huia)))
    Huia, thanks for sharing your sadness with us, it means a lot to be included in the stories of our special furry family members.

And thanks for sharing Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy's meds and food with other beloved kitties!
    {{{Huia}}}

{{{{Huia}}}}
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I had forgotten how exhausting grieving is - thanks for the support.
  • Isn't that the wonderful thing about SoF?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes, and my brother - that whiny little brat from when we were growing up - said, "In your sadness, remember the joy she brought you."

It was worth letting him live after all, :smiley:
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    {{{Huia}}}. Georgie-Porgy didn't only bring you joy, she brought joy to me (and I'm sure lots of us) when I read about her.
    Absolutely right, Sarasa!
    Sarasa wrote: »
    {{{Huia}}}. Georgie-Porgy didn't only bring you joy, she brought joy to me (and I'm sure lots of us) when I read about her.
    Ahh-men.

• Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Giving thanks for having - once again - successfully mended the innards of my cheapo kitchen lappie. It's a fiddly ole thing, was second-hand anyway, but does its job keeping me company when cooking.

I opened it according to the manual (yes, I did RTFM!), extensively cleaned it according to best practice, and it works again and is much happier now temperature-wise. Cleaning the fan helps.

I'm posting this just little thing in the order of all things to give thanks coz although I'm sorta knowledgeable, I was more calm this time round than previously, and much better prepared to perform the surgery. More calmness helps you concentrate, and be matter-of-factually about it. Maybe I'm growing up a bit, after all?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Well done. Panic tends to be my default setting with technology, but it does feel good if I work out something new.
  • P & T for not only relocating out of a city and into rural life, but also finally selling the previous property last week. It's taken a while....
    Health to enjoy your new country life, EA!
  • Ethne Alba wrote: »
    P & T for not only relocating out of a city and into rural life, but also finally selling the previous property last week. It's taken a while....

I am glad for you having been through that process last year. Prices dropped and time taken lengthened.

Best wishes for your life in new place. While not exactly rural here, I am certainly out of suburban life and non-stop traffic noise.
  • P&T for safe travels and successful surgery yesterday! We went on the train, rather than risk driving, which was a great success, and the surgery - although unpleasant - was bearable AND successful! The snow held off until after bedtime, so everyone would have got where they were going,

This morning I can see to the trees beyond the garden, and snow is most dazzlingly white!

Thank, you, thank you, thank you!
  • Dear Mrs S. I remember sitting on a lochside with a man who had had similar surgery. He had been telling me about the history of the area and then he said "Do you see that patch of snow up there?" I said I did, waiting for the story about it. He replied with infinite satisfaction "So do I!" Enjoy your sight.
    ...Thank, you, thank you, thank you!
    Amen!

Glad to hear it, Mrs. S! <yipee>

I was born with cataracts and after my first surgery (at 17) I had a contact lens fitted. My dad came with me (we lived in Orkney and it had to be done in Aberdeen) and when the optician put the lens in my eye, I said "I can see!"* and I'll never forget the look on Dad's face.

When D's mum had hers done, apparently the first thing she said when she got home was "goodness, I must clean those curtains!". :smiley:

* I hadn't been completely blind, but everything was suddenly so much more in focus: things like the texture of my cord jeans and the pattern on the lino floor.
  • I have every sympathy with D's Mum - I can now see the dust on the skirting boards! Mr. S is very good but even Homer nods... and I'not supposed to lean forward and dust them, or at least that's my story!

I remember when I was a teenager, getting new glasses for short sight and suddenly realising that trees had individual leaves - this is like that!

Mrs. S blessing all those involved
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    So glad it went well Mrs. S. It was the brightness of colours that amazed me when I had my cataracts done.
  • I remember when I was a teenager, getting new glasses for short sight and suddenly realising that trees had individual leaves...
    Exactly what I remember! It was amazing.

... and I'm not supposed to lean forward and dust ...
    When I had my second one done 20 years later*, I was signed off w*rk for a fortnight and told not to lean forward, lift anything heavy, etc. I had the surgery on 10th December, and because the university where I worked closed for a week after Christmas, and I'd already booked a few days extra off as we were going up to Orkney for New Year, I ended up getting nearly a month off, at a very sociable time of year, and without actually feeling the least bit unwell.

Win, win, win! :smiley:

* When I had the first one done, implant lenses weren't expected to last more than about 20-25 years, so they weren't practical for someone so young. I only had the natural lens taken out of one eye, so I'd still have enough focusing in the other to find the contact lens and put it in. That worked fine until an optician suggested that I get an implant for the other eye, by which time the "shelf-life" of the implants had improved: when I asked about it, he said it would outlast me ...
  • edited February 2019
    More P&T - we went to church yesterday = we've only been going there since May - and were nearly knocked over by everyone wanting to know if the op had gone ahead, how it went, and so on. It was a lovely feeling, being part of such a caring family.

Okay, so maybe all they care about is getting me back to heaving pots of mashed potatoes about at Lunch Club, but if so they did a great job of hiding it!

Mrs. S, grateful

Edited to add - Piglet, that's an amazing story and makes one grateful all over again.
    Mrs. S, it's wonderful that you got such a loving reception. It sounds as though you have chosen your church well.
  • Ross, we were so blessed - it's the C of E church in our village, about 15 minutes' walk from home. We were full of 'oh, we'll try lots of different ones' but we were so warmly welcomed that we thought it would be downright perverse to go anywhere else!
    That really is a blessing.