Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sorry for your loss Eutychus, and best wishes for the new possibilities.

I used to have a vet that was allergic to some cats, but not others, Patchy made him sneeze horribly, but Sam had no effect at all.

Aroha met Spooky, the cat from up the road today. Fortunately they were separated by a screen door. Aroha stood sideways and puffed up her fur, Spooky looked curious and did a friendly slow blink, then ambled away.
  • Shit, when does one stop wanting to bawl? I never cry.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Shit, when does one stop wanting to bawl? I never cry.

You have lost a dear family member. You are bound to be grieving.

So sorry for your loss :cry:

• Boogie wrote: »
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Shit, when does one stop wanting to bawl? I never cry.

You have lost a dear family member. You are bound to be grieving.

So sorry for your loss :cry:

This. Fifteen years is a long time to share with a furry companion.
  • Indeed. I have lost cats in the past, but since we have always had rescue cats, they have been older and not with us for so long. but the pair we have now were young when they came and have now been part of the family for almost 10 years. They are hale and hearty, but I hate the thought of the days when they depart. Hopefully not for another ten!

P.S. I have wept more for lost cats than some family members. They are such a non-judgemental presence.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    So sad to read about Schlimblick, Eutychus. Losing beloved animal companions have been among the biggest losses of my life.
  • P.S. I have wept more for lost cats than some family members. They are such a non-judgemental presence.

Me too. The right weather, a piece of music, and I'm crying for Amenophis, who died 37 years ago. RIP Meno.
    Spencer, my Guide Dog puppy, now ten months old, had his Big Boy operation yesterday. All went well and he slept well (and so did I considering I was on the couch) but he was very unsettled from 4am - he ended up on the sofa snuggled with me - don’t tell the Powers That Be!

I think his intravenous painkillers had probably worn off. He’s now had his breakfast with Metacam and he’s happily watching the birds out of the window.

He’s got a medi-suit instead of a collar which is much more comforable for him and he can’t get to the stitches. The hard bit now will be keeping him calm for ten days!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Poor Spencer - wishing him a speedy recovery!
    The hard bit now will be keeping him calm for ten days!

Keeping a ten-month-old puppy calm? Good luck!

And a hug to Spencer. :heart:
    I think his intravenous painkillers had probably worn off. He’s now had his breakfast with Metacam and he’s happily watching the birds out of the window.

He’s got a medi-suit instead of a collar which is much more comforable for him and he can’t get to the stitches. The hard bit now will be keeping him calm for ten days!
    Poor Spencer.
    Maybe he might be distracted by this which has enthralled Truffles, and now I have to arrange iPad time with her. I tried it on the television, and you’d think that the size of the birds would be a bit scary but not so.

• LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited February 2019
    Some years ago, DIL’s little Abyssinian was watching documentary on birds with us. Fluttering in a tree with few leaves. Suddenly she launched herself at screen and was surprised to discover she had no bird caught.
    It almost seems cruel to offer your cat an uncatchable bird, but I'm no animal psychologist (and have only briefly been employed by a cat), so what would I know?

Love the little robin though - he'd work on relaxing me!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    How lovely, Huia and a lovely name. Am off to look it up. Ah, google suggests love affection and sympathy. Just lovely. Do you have more to add to the meanings?

Loth, sorry it's taken so long to answer this. I saw the perfect answer in a shop window (they were selling rings with the word Aroha on them) and I wanted the permission of the designer to quote them.

"Aroha is often simply translated from *Te Reo Maori as love. Aroha means so much more. It is the breath of life and the creative spirit that allows us to feel compassion, sympathy, and affection. A force that encompasses all of the senses, that resonates in body, mind and spirit.".

*Te Reo Maori - the Maori language.
  • May she be all of that to you.
    edited February 2019
    @Huia - Wow - that description gave me goose bumps. What a lovely name xx

@Piglet my pups love watching the birds in the garden, it doesn’t seem to upset them at all that they can’t chase them, ‘tho they would if they were allowed.

Of course, when Spencer is working he must ignore all birds but he knows the difference between working and leisure - unlike me, I seem to have lost most of the focus work gave me lol :lol:

My second puppy, Twiglet, was withdrawn during Advanced training due to bird distraction. She didn’t just want to watch the pigeons etc on the ground, she looked for them in the air too! Not ideal for a dog who is supposed to watch where she and you are going! She’s now a happy pet. I get a card and photo every Christmas from her slaves.

:smile:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Boogie - it did the same for me when I read it on a card in the shop window after I had named her. I was so worried that the woman in the shop wouldn't let me copy it that I put off asking.🙄

I really like the way that puppies that don't make it through the training go to people who will keep you in touch with them.

When Aroha is a bit older I will take a photo of her and a note about he progress to the Cats' Protection League as they put them on their Facebook page.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It almost seems cruel to offer your cat an uncatchable bird, but I'm no animal psychologist (and have only briefly been employed by a cat), so what would I know?

Love the little robin though - he'd work on relaxing me!

She seems quite happy (ears up, no twitching of her tail) watching birds (and the occasional squirrel or mouse that turn up now & then in various clips) and not catching them - she spends so much time inside (her preference until the summer arrives}) on the windowsills that this could be an extension of that. Now, if it were of frogs then she might be frustrated.

I think these films should be shown wherever anyone has to wait indoors (doctors, post office....) - there are several bird feeders along the road into my local dump household waste recycling centre and I don't mind waiting to go in (sometimes I am disappointed I don't have to queue!).
  • @Jane R ...thank you. 2006 indeed.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Huia wrote: »
    ... "Aroha is often simply translated from *Te Reo Maori as love. Aroha means so much more. It is the breath of life and the creative spirit that allows us to feel compassion, sympathy, and affection. A force that encompasses all of the senses, that resonates in body, mind and spirit.". ...
    Oh, that is lovely. What a perfect name!

• Truffles (oh how I wish she had a beautiful name like Aroha!) had her 6-monthly jab this afternoon and the lovely vet gave her a check-over, to find a heart murmur at a reassuring level of about 1 on a scale of 1 (low) to 10. On the way home she didn’t complain once, possibly the herbal cat calming spray is working or she is turning into a more sedate older girl. I might try a spot of travelling with her. This evening she demanded cat tv and is currently happily on her 3rd programme (is this binge watching?).
    I think Truffles is a rather nice name for a cat. :smiley:

Hope she's going to be OK.
    Yes, I hope Truffles is going to be all right as well.

• Thank you, she is ignoring the vet’s observation and becoming slightly more lively. Or maybe that’s as a result of it?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Probably being contrary to prove the vet wrong. The late, great Sam was like that. :wink:
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    After three lovely years, Spikey has crossed the rainbow bridge. Her kidneys were failing and affecting her brain, and the change in her tonight even from this morning convinced us we were doing the right thing.

Spikey in the park last summer

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Oh, Gill. I'm so sorry. You two gave Spikey an excellent home and I know she was a happy kitty. :heartbreak:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry for your loss, Gill.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    We will miss her so much
    So sorry to read this. RIP Spikey. :cry:
  • Spikey,was beautiful cat with sweet white socks. So sorry.
    Gill, I am so sorry. She was a beautiful cat, and I know you will miss her terribly. This is the hardest part of sharing our lives with our pets.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Thank you all. Hugs to Eutychus and Jedijudy too, and anyone else mourning a pet.
    So sorry to hear about Spikey, sending sympathy and hugs, Gill.
  • Sorry for your loss. It sounds like Spikey was ready to be at peace.
    Great video to remember her by.
  • So sorry Gill - I remember that video from when you posted it originally
    There once was a beautiful, very pregnant cat dropped on my doorstep. She instantly fell in love with Daughter-Unit and me, and we with her. She had her kittens in a box with cozy towels that I placed in my bathroom. Four were little boys, and one was a beautiful long-haired calico who died at birth.

The four boys grew to be humongous adult cats; two (Bubba and Moo) went to my parents, and two (Snickerdoodle and Prince Charming) went to D-U and her hubby.

B and S looked alike, and M and PC were black and white, but opposite in the main coat colors.

Snickers got cancer and died and two weeks later, Bubba died.
    Now, Prince just died from cancer (evil disease) and two weeks and one day later, Moo has died. :cry:

I find it strange that the boys who looked alike died so close to one another. My heart hurts so badly. :heartbreak:
    Oh, {{{Judy}}}. I am so sorry.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry for your loss, Judy.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Sorry for everyone who has lost cats recently :( They bring us so much joy that the heartache when we lose them is something we risk again. I already feel really attached to Chaya, even though she is really my housemate's cat - I get all the benefits of a cat without the vet bills and litter tray cleaning, so it's not a bad deal. Someone up thread recommended we keep her indoors as we currently are, it's not up to me to decide, but I will really worry about her if she does go out after losing Arkie on the road.
    {{{Judy and Daughter-Unit}}}

So sorry to hear you've lost another pussycat so soon.

RIP Moo. :cry:
    Thank you all. I'm so grateful that you let me pour my heart out here. It does help.
    Sympathy, jedijudy, so much loss.
  • So sorry that you've lost another cat - it's so sad when we lose them
  • ((( @Gill H @jedijudy ))) sad times - how does such a small being fill such a big space in our lives?
  • Effortlessly.
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Effortlessly.

That is so true. The world is a much better place because of our furry friends, whether they're cats, dogs, horses, bunnies, birds, pigs or so many others of God's creatures. They are true gifts.
    jedijudy wrote: »
    That is so true. The world is a much better place because of our furry friends, whether they're cats, dogs, horses, bunnies, birds, pigs or so many others of God's creatures. They are true gifts.

Ahh-men.

• Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Oh jedijudy - so many hugs.
  • Gill H wrote: »
    Oh jedijudy - so many hugs.

And from me, jedijudy - such sad news. Commiserations to Gill H and Hugal, too.