Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
This is the place to mark anything for which we're thankful, be it recovery from illness, finding something that was lost, or just the arrival of a new day.

Comments

• latecomerlatecomer Shipmate Posts: 4
    Thanks be - I found out what was stopping me accessing the new Ship
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    My ocologist & chemotherapist have given me permission to go to the UK. We fly tomorrow - unless, of course, the weather decides to stop us! Which is a distinct possibility.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Yay, Dormouse! Travelling mercies. (votive)

And a yelp of praise from me as my granddaughter N has been allotted her first choice of secondary school. :smile:
  • welshdragonwelshdragon Shipmate Posts: 15
    Just very happy to have got home in 1 piece, skidding through the snow and ice.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Excellent news, Dormouse - go carefully! :smile:

I'm grateful that we found a very cheap and very nice hotel, although we'll have to be up very early to get to the airport ...
  • Grateful that the ship still sails.
  • And yay for all the yay!
  • CattyishCattyish Shipmate Posts: 23
    I love a good sing, and This version of the Messiah is going to be amazing!

Cattyish, doing my homework for Saturday's Doric Messiah.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Dormouse wrote: »
    My ocologist & chemotherapist have given me permission to go to the UK. We fly tomorrow - unless, of course, the weather decides to stop us! Which is a distinct possibility.

Brava, Dormouse!

I'm grateful that my friend Marsha's (12-hour!) brain surgery went well yesterday; according to her husband, the surgeon said she was the best "aware" (awake during surgery) patient he'd ever had. He got most of the tumor, and she's already stronger on the affected side. Deo gratias!

Excellent news, Rossweisse - prayers ascending for her speedy recovery.
  • Wow! Twelve hours' worth of surgery, and aware??

<candle> and Bravo! for Marsha....

My brain tumour removal took about 5 hours, but I was completely zonked. In a way, I'd like to have been aware, but I'd probably have got bored or uncomfortable.....I did, however, watch a 15-minute video on YouTube of the...umm....interesting parts of a similar procedure.
    :anguished:

IJ
    My brain tumor surgery took all pf a day (sitting around with a "halo" nailed to my skull, waiting for the regular radiation patients to be done) and then about 20 minutes of actual zapping. I was not zonked, and I was both bored and uncomfortable. But I'm here!

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have just bought a Bluetooth speaker which came with no instructions whatsoever. ( my dad always said If all else fails read the instructions - all else did fail and the woman in the shop was less than helpful and condescending with it.

Fortunately a branch of the Library was having its be kind to technopeasants day and a staff member sorted it, then had me repeat what she had done to check I had understood.

I think that woman should be a subject for Canonization :innocent:

Huia
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Back now and we had a magnificent time. Thank God for family, talented musicians and comedians, for travelling mercies, and all good things.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    So enjoyed your blog post, Dormouse, thanks for sharing that.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    My brain tumor surgery took all pf a day (sitting around with a "halo" nailed to my skull, waiting for the regular radiation patients to be done) and then about 20 minutes of actual zapping. I was not zonked, and I was both bored and uncomfortable. But I'm here!

Given family history and personal conditions brain surgery isn't out of the question and I have heard it is something that looks dreadful but can be done with the patient pretty much with-it. I'm not sure I'd like to be on the table with a dozen sets of eyes looking down on me through respirators and, as you say, it would be very, very boring.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Just a follow-up to say - it worked at home too, where in my experience, Things. Can. Go. Wrong - and frequently do.

Huia - learning to be less of a tecnopeasant, one skill at a time, :smiley:
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    My friend is recovering from whatever he had, not as fast as he would like, but pretty fast anyway. When his mother gets cranky, he loses gains a little, but he's a lot better.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    The German pensions service has awarded me a (small) pension! Thankful for that, and for the fact that I managed to navigate the form-filling up to a point, even though it involved a couple of phone calls to Berlin. Where they had to field an English-speaking bureaucrat, as my Amt Deutsch* was never up to conversation, especially after a 34 year gap.

* The language of bureaucracy
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    I've found my main mobile phone again; thanks for your prayers! (I posted this on the Old Ship prayer thread. The phone was lost somewhere in my flat for a couple of weeks, and is always turned off, so couldn't be rung.)

The interesting thing was that I had to change my habits of quickly looking up something on the internet when on route. My replacement mobile, which is exactly the same model, hasn't got internet due to a lowly prepayment subscription.

Now..., all this made me think about how dependent I may have become on constant access to the internet. Do I really need to look up everything immediately? I could actually find other ways of getting information (like firing up the laptop I often have with me), or perhaps even... talk to people?

Grateful for some insights there, a great blessing really. Mindboggling.
  • Yay for being able to bath properly, rather than in sections (showers were completely banned). I am officially healed according to the burns unit - ie have skin, albeit it pink or red, over all my burns. (I am not entirely convinced having worked today and am not sure I have the oomph to go to Guides tonight.)
    I reckon you're doing very well being at w*rk already - what happened to you would have been enough to keep some people off for months. Take it easy though, and don't overdo things.
  • Two reasons:
    1. Money - I like eating
    2. sheer bloody mindedness - I am not letting this take over my life
    Understood, but still take care! :)
  • Two reasons:
    1. Money - I like eating
    2. sheer bloody mindedness - I am not letting this take over my life

CK, I think you're doing splendidly, and agree that bloody-mindedness is key. I have read that the body works very hard when one is recovering from burns and scalds (all those repairs I suppose) so I'm not surprised you are knackered.

I'd tell you to take it easy, but I suspect you won't!
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2018
    Best wishes for continued good progress and healing, CK. Just don’t overdo things while practising bloody-mindedness.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    Apparently, making skin is one of the the most calorie demanding tasks the body can undertake. Would a little weight loss be unwelcome? It also adds to your day-to-day w*rkload, so maybe be kind to yourself. As well as bloody-minded, :innocent:
    Brava, CK. I'm so glad to know you're improving!

• Thanks to all for their prayers for this morning. The vicar and I managed to clear acres of tarmac of snow and possibly ice, and in the words of my deputy (who stayed to help the vergers, bless her) 'to anyone not in the know it would have appeared to go without a hitch' :eek: The funeral director managed to annoy the church representatives and I'm sure it was all a dreadful fire hazard, but we think the family and mourners found it a good send-off. Deo gratias!
  • Glad it went well, the Intrepid Mrs S
    That's good news, Mrs. S.
  • From an enormous and very sad funeral yesterday, to a joyful puppet-led celebration of Easter for toddlers, in our church. Thank you God, that you are our God for all times and seasons :heart:
  • So thankful and happy tonight. A message just in from son that surgeon who operated on DIL's ringbarked ankle as he called it has given the all clear to remove the many crepe bandages to the knee and the moonboot which has even been worn in bed. And the crutches too. She has to take things slowly and carefully but this is such welcome news. He does not want to see her for four more weeks instead of weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. The injury happened last week of January
    Good news indeed, Loth! :smile:
    Oh, that's brilliant, Loth. It's been a long slog for her - and for those who help her.
  • Thanks and praise for the Easter Day celebrations. I'd like to stay on this high, but I know that if I did it wouldn't be a high any more, so I'll just enjoy it gratefully until it dissipates.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    My brain tumor surgery took all of a day (sitting around with a "halo" nailed to my skull, waiting for the regular radiation patients to be done) and then about 20 minutes of actual zapping. I was not zonked, and I was both bored and uncomfortable. But I'm here!

Just picked up on this - well done, Rossweisse! My brain tumour surgery took about 5 hours, which would have been boring, had I been awake, but they zapped me good and proper.

Re the other end of the Episcopal Person, I paid my final visit to the chiropodist today. Both toes, from which ingrowing nails have been removed, have healed up nicely!
    :grin:

IJ

Bravo, Bishops Finger!
    Glad to hear it, BF!
  • Deo gratias that the Dowager has recovered (most of) her equanimity, whether due to new drugs or just to time. Thanks ascending for whatever it was, and for kind patient staff at Care Home 2! :heart:
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (Mrs S and the Dowager)
    Deo gratias indeed, Mrs. S. That's wonderful news.
    Glad to hear it, Mrs. S. Prayers continuing to ascend for you and the Dowager. :smile:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was quite stressed out, then had to deliver a form to the Medical Centre. Walking home alongside the Estuary I saw some shags, and, on the power lines overhead, some Welcome Swallows. As I walked on the swallows took flight dipping and diving, providing an aerial ballet for my delight.

(Yes, I know they were probably catching insects, but they are glorious.)

They are not native here, but some were probably blown across the Tasman some years ago.

They totally lifted my mood.
    Birds can have that effect; our little friends have come back to the bird feeder in the last few days, having been absent since last August, and are giving us more pleasure than I can say. :)
    I had a ScanFest™ (that's when we get two procedures out of the way in one marathon session at the hospital) yesterday, and got the results this morning. The news is good: Since I was put on Tamoxifen in February, the cancer's progress in my spine and pelvis has stalled. And the lesion in my left lung has actually shrunk. Deo gratias!

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Excellent, Rossweisse!
  • Wonderful, Rossweisse. Tamoxifen is the only drug my sister’s cancer takes any notice of. Apart from two short spells when she did not take it and cancer returned, she has been on tamoxifen for just over twenty years.
  • Yay for all the yay!
  • Thank God.