Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• She should have moved back and "inadvertently" trodden on his instep with her high heel.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Heck, she should've swept his leg out, and decked him.
  • Dunno which of you might be mansplaining what she should have done.
    Also noting that I always find it easier to imagine what I should say after the incident and I've thought it over a few times.
  • I always find it easier to imagine what I should say after the incident and I've thought it over a few times.

Yes, that's usually the case with all of us, I think.
    Dunno which of you might be mansplaining what she should have done.

You appear to not know what "mainsplaining" is.
  • mainsplaining

???
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    When a man explains to a woman something she understands as well as or better than he, suggesting he assumes that as a woman she wouldn’t understand it.
  • Yes, but not with MT's spelling.
    True. Why I am not a proofreader…
  • mousethief wrote: »
    You appear to not know what "mainsplaining" is.

When a water main explains to a service line how hydraulics "really" works.
  • Sorry for typo. Clever definition Crœsos.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    When a man explains to a woman something she understands as well as or better than he, suggesting he assumes that as a woman she wouldn’t understand it.

I was half expecting someone would try to femsplaine the mainsplaine--but I do not want to get into a battle of the sexes.
  • Mainsplaining is outlining the basic way to do a job, but omitting the little tweaks that make it easy to do.
  • mansplaining is recommending a book on a topic as "a great analysis" to the book's author.
  • Eirenist wrote: »
    Mainsplaining is outlining the basic way to do a job, but omitting the little tweaks that make it easy to do.

This reminds me of my high school math teacher. He would show us the standard way to work out a formula, then he would show us an easier way to solve the equation.
  • Eirenist wrote: »
    Mainsplaining is outlining the basic way to do a job, but omitting the little tweaks that make it easy to do.

No it's not.
  • It's a man laboriously 'explaining' something a woman who knows as least as much as he does on the subject.
    Actually, I think Eirenist is playing with the typo now and talking about mainsplaining - not making a sexist point about mansplaining.
  • So this time you spotted that and I didn't. :)
    It's a man laboriously 'explaining' something a woman who knows as least as much as he does on the subject.

...And it never entering his head that she might know at least as much--if not more.
  • Precisely
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    The New York Times has obtained over 20 years of Trump's tax returns. He's losing money hand over fist, he has huge loans he's personally guaranteed coming due in 2022, and he's barely paid any taxes for years: $750 in 2017.

The Times plans to publish a series of articles over the next few weeks. I'm reminded that when Al Capone finally went down, it was over his taxes.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    Here's a link to the NYT article @Ruth mentioned.

It should be remembered that the documents are what Donald Trump told the IRS about the state of his finances. It's possible he might have shaded the truth a bit. Shocking, I know!
  • Well, this is nice.

::yipee::::yipee::::yipee::::yipee::::yipee::::yipee::
    So...to what non-extradition country might T flee?
    ;) :grey_question:
  • Hasn't he mentioned wanting to send someone to Mars? Would he like to volunteer?
    You want to risk an inter-planetary incident?
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Hasn't he mentioned wanting to send someone to Mars? Would he like to volunteer?

Even Trump's not the right shade to easily camouflage on the Martian surface. At least he wouldn't have to worry about the radiation turning him into some kind of hideous monstrosity.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    So...to what non-extradition country might T flee?
    ;) :grey_question:

It's traditional when on the run, to head for the Mexican border... maybe Mexico will pay for the wall afterall...

AFZ
    Hmmm...well, a "run for the border" is a theme in Taco Bell fast-food ads. I wonder if T likes any of their food? Perhaps he could move into a Taco Bell, and declare sanctuary or some such? He probably wouldn't know the difference between that and Mexico, anyway.
  • Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    Crœsos wrote: »

It should be remembered that the documents are what Donald Trump told the IRS about the state of his finances. It's possible he might have shaded the truth a bit. Shocking, I know!

If the documents are genuine: he will (may) have told the IRS whatever it takes to pay less tax than he should and his finances aren't that bad; no surprise really knowing how he is.

So now he'll either have to admit he lied on his tax returns (presumably a crime) and be re-assessed and pay up OR admit publicly that his claims of great wealth and good business acumen were a tissue (bundle, shipload) of lies. This should surely implicate his accountants, lawyers and tax advisors (who may wish to weigh in to clear themselves).
  • Crœsos wrote: »

I think there's a breakdown in any common sense of epistemology; For many people who support Trump, they resent paying their taxes too, they admire his ability to get away with it, and that these documents (which he'll argue the toss about) were printed in the NYT shows that the liberal media are out to get him.
  • He won't admit either; as usual he will bluster, avoid the questions, avoid the answers, introduce total irrelevancies and blame other people. But firstly I hope the US legal and tax systems see through this; secondly, and more importantly, that the American people do the same.

• I think there's a breakdown in any common sense of epistemology; For many people who support Trump, they resent paying their taxes too, they admire his ability to get away with it, and that these documents (which he'll argue the toss about) were printed in the NYT shows that the liberal media are out to get him.

Unfortunately the local Trumpholes have already started doing this.
  • stonespringstonespring Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    amybo wrote: »

I think there's a breakdown in any common sense of epistemology; For many people who support Trump, they resent paying their taxes too, they admire his ability to get away with it, and that these documents (which he'll argue the toss about) were printed in the NYT shows that the liberal media are out to get him.

Unfortunately the local Trumpholes have already started doing this.

The NYT won’t release the actual documents because they claim to do so would implicate the people involved in leaking them. So Trump is already saying it’s fake news.
  • The best way for Trump to prove they're fake is to release his actual returns.
    :wink:
  • I can truthfully say I paid many times more than Trump in federal taxes both in 2016 and 2017.
  • edited September 2020
    There's nothing at all that convinces a true believer out of their belief. Probably some will think that trump did well to start defunding government decades ago. It's draining the swamp isn't it?
  • It does no good to drain the swamp when it leaves the alligators intact and snapping at our asses. We appear to have an alligator All-You-Can-Eat going on in the federal government right now.
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    The best way for Trump to prove they're fake is to release his actual returns.

Yes, I've been thinking that. :) Especially since now he's reportedly saying that he actually paid a lot. (I heard on the radio something like "a million" (or "millions of"?) dollars. I'm looking for online confirmation, in case I misheard.)

BTW, Forbes business magazine has some interesting T-related articles. Links on the front page.

Yes, I've been thinking that. :) Especially since now he's reportedly saying that he actually paid a lot. (I heard on the radio something like "a million" (or "millions of"?) dollars. I'm looking for online confirmation, in case I misheard.)

BTW, Forbes business magazine has some interesting T-related articles. Links on the front page.

Trump did pay million or millions in personal taxes to the IRS, but they were mostly taxes like Social Security, payroll, and other taxes like those for he pays as employer of his household employees. These taxes are harder for him to get out of with the loopholes he uses for federal income tax, which particularly benefit real estate developers. So he’s not talking about the same kinds of taxes that the NYT is talking about. But he won’t tell you that, of course.
  • It does no good to drain the swamp when it leaves the alligators intact and snapping at our asses. We appear to have an alligator All-You-Can-Eat going on in the federal government right now.

:smiley: That's funny!
  • Here's an interview of Sarah Sanders by Leigh Sales. Sanders manages to deflect, but its clear that Sales gets under her skin. People might enjoy the show.

Trump did pay million or millions in personal taxes to the IRS, but they were mostly taxes like Social Security, payroll, and other taxes like those for he pays as employer of his household employees. These taxes are harder for him to get out of with the loopholes he uses for federal income tax, which particularly benefit real estate developers. So he’s not talking about the same kinds of taxes that the NYT is talking about. But he won’t tell you that, of course.

Which is to say, NOT personal taxes--if by "personal" is understood what most people mean, "personal income taxes." The 1040. The great April frustration.

Paying payroll taxes is not paying your personal taxes. It is paying other people's personal taxes--that is, your employees' taxes. You are acting impersonally, as an employer, a business entity. The fact that you may benefit personally from the employee's service (they fluff your pillow or whatnot) does not make payroll taxes yours in any personal way.
    And T is quite capable of lying. If he's done so to the IRS (especially if it falls into the category of "tax evasion", rather than "tax avoidance"), he's in deep doo-doo.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    If...hoping-hoping-hoping... Trump loses and is out on his ass in January, I think the NY state prosecutors and the IRS will have orderly, socially distanced lines around Trump Tower, waiting for their turns.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    In my daydreams I fondly imagine Trump calling for rebellion, insurrection, etc. from his hideyhole in the White House, which he refuses to leave, while all the great powers look at each other: "Shall we get the military involved?" "Hell no!" "So, should we get the National Guard out?" "Oh no, why bother? It's a straight eviction, isn't it?" And they send the local sheriff round to haul him out, and his belongings end up on the front lawn until he can beg someone to collect them for him. As in the meantime the cops have caught up with him, and it's hard to rent a storage unit when in jail...
  • lol - kinder than my stroke fantasy. I assumed he could afford a nurse.
  • Do you have black plastic bin bags for the evicted property over there?
    It does no good to drain the swamp when it leaves the alligators intact and snapping at our asses. We appear to have an alligator All-You-Can-Eat going on in the federal government right now.

And are the Federal alligators the diners, or dined *on*? ;)

Hmmmm...."Fed. gators"...