Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Animal companions in our happy homes

Comments

• The packed moving boxes are starting to accumulate, and Molly the dog is showing concern. She is staying close and following me from room to room. As she has never moved with us before but does seem to know when the suitcases come out that we are leaving. I am guessing she thinks we are going someplace, and perhaps without her. I feel bad that she is worried and so I am trying to give her more attention.
  • @Graven Image poor Molly. Have you tried something like the plug-in Pet Remedy to calm her?
  • @daisydaisy , Never heard of them, I shall look them up as I am sure the closer we get to moving day the more she will be concerned. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • How is Domino, @Cathscats ?
  • Domino is still wearing the Collar of Shame. But it is working. The wound was better enough today that I did not feel it necessary to further traumatise her by incarceration in a carrier, twenty minutes in a car and a trip to the vet. Of course I am now public enemy number one, when she remembers the collar. When she forgets I am still her number one human and favourite living pillow.
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    It's known as the Cone of Chaos in our house. Minnie wasn't keen on it at first, until she realised she could use it to scoop up her toys and whack us in the shins with it to get our attention. She never quite got used to allowing extra space for it when going through doors, though.
  • No, Domino keeps getting stuck by going too close to the wall, and when she got it poking through the bannisters her eyes told me just what she thought of me. Hopefully it can come off tomorrow, as the cut or bite is healing up nicely. She is sitting on my knee and making typing difficult!
  • @daisydaisy , Never heard of them, I shall look them up as I am sure the closer we get to moving day the more she will be concerned. Thanks for the suggestion.

To begin with it has a strong herbal smell, but that fades (or maybe I got used to it?).
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Get well soon Domino xx

My friend’s Lab has had pups (11 of them!) and they are delightful, I could watch them all day.

https://youtu.be/lzzxo3E_zJQ

They are two weeks old and their eyes only opened yesterday. 💕🐾
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    We definitely need an "aaahh" smilie!
    ❤️🐾❤️🐾💙🐾💙🐾❤️🐾❤️
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Awww!!! Puppies!!!!
    :blush:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was wandering through the Supermarket up the road when I saw some peanut butter. Nothing unusual about that - but it was in the pet food aisle and it 's target market was dog owners. Is this common? I didn't even know dogs liked peanut butter.

I also went to the pet store to get Aroha's food and there was a cute Siamese kitten called Gordon. He had his front leg across his eyes and when I quietly said "hi" he looked at me as if to say, "I'm sleeping go away." So I did.
  • Most dogs like it, yes. You have to be careful what you give them, though - some peanut butter has palm oil in it, which is poisonous to dogs. Presumably that's why they had this brand in the pet food aisle.
    Huia wrote: »
    I was wandering through the Supermarket up the road when I saw some peanut butter. Nothing unusual about that - but it was in the pet food aisle and it 's target market was dog owners. Is this common? I didn't even know dogs liked peanut butter.

Yes, and human peanut butter often has xylitol as an ingredient, which is poisonous to dogs.
  • We have moved into our new mobile home with a fenced back yard and a doggie door. Oh great now I no longer need to be the house doorman when Molly wants in and out, in and out, in and out. Wrong. I have taught Molly never to go through a door of any kind, car, house, and such without me saying okay. Well, it seems she has learned well and although she will come in the doggie door, she stands by it and barks for me to come and give her permission to go out. I am not sure how to let her know the dog flap does not count as a permission door. Such a good girl.
    Awww. Good Girl indeed @Graven Image

Echo likes to get the mat and cover himself up on these cold and frosty days. :lol:

https://youtu.be/QO0et1kuWD0
  • Oh, Echo is so cute with her mat.
  • Pixie has discovered that she can go out & in using her cat flap. She wanders around my garden and pushes her luck with the cat next door (who likes my garden) who isn't phased by her). She had a snoop around his garden but is still far happier inside. She is really bad tempered at the moment and I think it is because she's trying to get her head around other cats being around. I wish she wouldn't take it out on me though.
  • Molly went out the doggie door. She heard someone in the yard next door and rushed out without thinking. I gave her a lot of praise when she came back in. That seems to have done it.
  • This was on the news yesterday morning - I'm posting it here in case anyone missed it :heart:

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0208/1195722-dog-rescued-mountain/
    What a lovely tale, and a beautiful dog! :heart:
  • Thanks so much for the share.@ caroline444
  • This afternoon Pixie and I will be experimenting with a harness, with a long term view to her coming caravanning with me (although I haven’t yet worked out where her clutter will go in my tiny box on wheels).
    I knew cats had staff; I didn't realise they expected you to wear a harness ... :mrgreen:
  • Elizabeth is not happy. She keeps asking to go out, but when time I open the door the snow outside seems to come as a fresh surprise to her. She stares at it in bemusement, just long enough for the temperature in the kitchen to drop to zero, then changes her mind about going out. Then an hour later she remembers that she wants to go out without apparently being able to remember why she didn't go out previously.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I knew cats had staff; I didn't realise they expected you to wear a harness ... :mrgreen:
    Nor did I but I Have Been Told (she won round one).
  • @North East Quine I don't have a pet now, but your story about Elizabeth brought back such heart-warming memories of why it's such fun to have a kitty companion in the house :mrgreen:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Following my comments on peanut butter and dogs, I was reading an article about making NZ predator free. Department of Conservation workers bait traps for stoats, rats and mice with poisoned peanut butter what's more their recommendation is my favourite brand. 🙄
    @North East Quine I don't have a pet now, but your story about Elizabeth brought back such heart-warming memories of why it's such fun to have a kitty companion in the house :mrgreen:

What will you name the new kitty @caroline444? :wink:

• Regrettably I won't be getting one... I'm glad there is so much on the internet (like this thread) which celebrates cats though, so I can enjoy them from a distance. (I'm equally potty about dogs, well, most animals actually....)
    My friend’s puppies are growing up. (No, I’m not having one but - if I did, I’d have little miss Blue Collar 😄)

https://youtu.be/E06AgmjfyRo
  • @Huia i was quite put off my favourite peanut butter when a nearby farmer informed me that local rats and mice were Partial To It 👀
    Boogie, they're totally adorable! Are they all baby Guide Dogs? :heart:
    Piglet wrote: »
    Boogie, they're totally adorable! Are they all baby Guide Dogs? :heart:

No, they are baby pet dogs. 🐾🙂

• @Boogie That video made my afternoon! :O)*
  • Boogie wrote: »
    My friend’s puppies are growing up. (No, I’m not having one but - if I did, I’d have little miss Blue Collar 😄)

The owner of a B&B where I've stayed a couple of times has a very handsome black lab named Blue. Because he was the pup with the blue collar in the litter....
    kingsfold wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »

The owner of a B&B where I've stayed a couple of times has a very handsome black lab named Blue. Because he was the pup with the blue collar in the litter....

Tatze’s collar was violet. That would have been a good name ...

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was really upset over something that had happened today. I was standing near the hand basin which is one of Aroha's favourite sleeping places. She climbed out of the basin, stood on the top of the vanity and patted me gently on the back with a forepaw. Made my day.😻
  • Oh what a perfect kitty Aroha is.
    My friend’s pups are now learning to use individual food bowls. 🐾🙂

https://youtu.be/E1X39KEarSc
  • Huia wrote: »
    I was really upset over something that had happened today. I was standing near the hand basin which is one of Aroha's favourite sleeping places. She climbed out of the basin, stood on the top of the vanity and patted me gently on the back with a forepaw. Made my day.😻

Special girl; why we love our cats

• Griffon the Cat had had a heart murmur since last year, but it didn't much cramp his style, enjoying the sub-zero weather and travelling to visit his friends nearby. Yesterday evening he collapsed in awful pain and had lost the strength in his back legs. Our good son-in-law did a long distance consultation over the phone told us to take Griffon straight to the 24 hour emergency vet. He had probably released a clot, blocking an artery. There's no treatment for this, so we came home without him. I've never known such a good natured cat; more like a friend than a pet. He really liked being a cat and was good at it. He was only nine years old and had always been healthy until the heart problem. We'll miss him terribly.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this, ST. I love the description "he really liked being a cat."
    So sorry to hear about your cat, ST. RIP Griffon. :cry:
  • So sorry. RIP Griffon
  • Oh so sad ST - rip Griffon
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm so sorry, ST. Griffon was a good cat, and you were a good human to not let him suffer. :heartbreak:

Aroha is such a good and loving kitty, too!

And I love the puppies!
  • So sorry ST. It's awful when that happens.
  • So sorry @Stercus Tauri. Griffon will leave a gaping void.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the kind words, everyone.