Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    @Lothlorien, that's terrific. (And I would be charmed to be able to live for 20 years on Tamoxifen.)

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Great news, Rossweisse. <votive of thanks>
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Great news about the scan, Rossweisse - may the lesions keep shrinking!
    Thank you! I was concerned that it had progressed, since I've got a lot of new-ish lower-back pain. But I'll just pop another ibuprofen and go on my way rejoicing.
  • Really good news. I hope the news that it has not spread will help that pain to lessen.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Rossweisse)))
    Excellent news!
    Thank you both!

• Very glad to hear.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Excellent news, Ross. So good to hear. I keep you in my prayers.
    Thank you!
  • GiancarloGiancarlo Shipmate Posts: 33
    New here, already said hello on the Welcome thread :smile:
    I'm grateful for being accepted in a BTh program that suits my time and wallet, the first step towards ordination, and also for finding this interesting community.
    edited May 2018
    Great to have you aboard, and all the best with your studies! You'll find a friendly and supporting bunch in Whom shall we send?, the Vocations thread here in All Saints.
    Thanks, Piglet! I even found a story similar to mine there! :smiley:
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited May 2018
    Welcome to you, Giancarlo.

Lothlorien, AS Host
    Thanks, Lothlorien!
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Whoever it was on the phone who finally persuaded D that she should have the paramedics come to help her up off the floor after she had used her capacity to stand them down twice. We are not qualified to help old ladies up contrary to the general advice about falls. No harm done, thank goodness - I think she thought I wanted them because it was a way of evicting her!
  • Thank you for all your prayers - the weather was kind to us, the removal men were just brilliant, and contrary to all my expectations we are safely installed in our lovely new home only a mile away from Miss S, SiL and the Intrepid Grandson!

Also thanks for an excellent visit to the Dowager, who - although tiring easily - is like her old self again, and seems to have put many of her symptoms behind her (however temporarily). I am deeply, deeply grateful :heart:
    Good to hear it, Mrs. S!
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    In a sad twist of fate, two of my friends mark sad anniversaries today. Rest in peace Samuel and Nicholas, two little boys who should have had even more impact on the world.
  • Thanks for a more successful Christian Aid Week than I had feared: lots of our usual collectors too old/ill/disabled this year, but at counting this morning we found we'd made a pretty good amount for the people who need it.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Two sons of a couple have recently become fathers for the first time. All are happy and healthy.
    On the personal front I shall be working part time from (probably) August and because of some weird features of the civil service pension scheme I won’t be much poorer. I’m not gloating, just very grateful.
  • MargaretMargaret Shipmate
    I've heard from a friend I was getting really worried about - he's eighty-seven (though you'd never know) and full-time carer for a wife ten years older than he is. I was imagining all sorts of grim scenarios, but all that had happened was that last Sunday's huge storm had knocked out his internet connection - and BT took a long time to restore it.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    edited June 2018
    I spent a really lovely day with my cousin, visiting my parents on their 56th wedding anniversary. My brother and sister-in-law were visiting too. Although various permutations of us see each other regularly, and I'd seen all of them within the last four months, this is the first time in five years that we've all been in the same room at the same time.
    It's nice to get the chance to do that once in a while, isn't it? I'm afraid with our family, the only time we're likely to be all together these days is weddings and funerals*. :(

* and now that Dad and Mum are both gone, I hope it's a very long time before we have another of the latter.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    My last chemo session tomorrow!! I know I've got all the side effects still to come, & 6 weeks of radiotherapy every day - but MY LAST CHEMO!! Thank God that really, all things considered, it has been bearable, and nowhere near as terrible as I had feared it would be.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Thanks be!
  • Yay for all the yay!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It's nice to get the chance to do that once in a while, isn't it? I'm afraid with our family, the only time we're likely to be all together these days is weddings and funerals*. :(

* and now that Dad and Mum are both gone, I hope it's a very long time before we have another of the latter.

I suspect there may be the phrase 'or when Piglet and David come' added by family this side of the pond especially if you are not making it over annually any more.

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Dormouse wrote: »
    My last chemo session tomorrow!! I know I've got all the side effects still to come, & 6 weeks of radiotherapy every day - but MY LAST CHEMO!! Thank God that really, all things considered, it has been bearable, and nowhere near as terrible as I had feared it would be.
    Some hospitals have a bell you can ring when you reach this stage. If yours doesn’t have one, I hope you can figuratively do so! (And yay!)
    Excellent news, Dormouse! :smiley:

Jengie, you're right - they do make an effort for us to see everyone whenever we're in Edinburgh, and very nice it is too.
  • Tree Bee wrote: »
    Some hospitals have a bell you can ring when you reach this stage. If yours doesn’t have one, I hope you can figuratively do so! (And yay!)

We all have a short video of Miss M ringing that bell as hard as she could, smiling all the time as she had been officially declared in remission from leukaemia. She has regular tests which will continue for many years yet.

Best wishes. Dormouse for the radiotherapy and the final result

Oh, brava, Dormouse! Ring that bell as hard as you can!

• The anticipation of Things Like That is sometimes IME worse than the Thing itself.

Ring that bell!
    :smiley:

Meanwhile, P & T to Almighty God for helping me today to get through officiating at a funeral in church (and burial in cemetery) without making any obvious mistakes or boo-boos...

P & T to God, too, for my team of stalwart assistants (Sacristan/Fellow-Reader/Organist/Parking Attendant) for their unobtrusive but very effective help!
    :love:

IJ
  • I finally passed an exam that has been tormenting me for a few years. This means I can carry on in my paediatric specialty training and don’t have to relearn adult medicine. I am so thankful and relieved and in disbelief.
  • Yay! for Lots of Yay! well done :grin:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Such great news! Thanks for sharing!
  • Congratulations, Yay. I have a friend who was stymied over similar exams several times.
  • My friend E, mentioned on the prayer thread, is amazingly resilient. She is such a lovely person that all her friends, church family and neighbours have rallied round, and she remains cheerful in spite of all the pain and inconvenience. What a tribute to her as a person :heart:
    Oh, yay, Yay!
  • Thanks guys. I’m so excited!
  • Yay for all the yay!
  • My roof is fixed! And it was less than expected! AND the arrival of long awaited/overdue tax refund covered it! <spinning happy face>
    Huzzah. @neandergirl!
  • Master S and DiL have actually, finally, really exchanged contracts on their house! Completion next Friday - I am soooooo relieved <spinning grin smilie face>
    Excellent news, Mrs. S. - happy new house to them! :smiley:
  • Yay! for Mrs S' family's yay!
  • Yay, Dad can answer his new mobile phone!
  • Good news. Ex husband gave his mother a Nokia, back in the days when they were so easy to use. Actually, it was mine he took without asking. She had no idea what to do with it.
  • Yeah it is, thanks to OwnPhone who created it. He still is not 100% reliable. I am the persistent daughter who knows how to continue ringing until elderly frail parent succeeds in using new technology with his wrong hand. My sister is the efficient one who juggles 100 balls in the air and needs to be out by 9:00 a.m. so I think I am going to have to ring the home today and ask them to support Dad in using it before 9:00 a.m.

Thanks