Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• For some reason I thought he woulda been older than 70.
  • stetson wrote: »
    For some reason I thought he woulda been older than 70.

Cancer she is a cold beotch.

AFF
  • stetson wrote: »
    For some reason I thought he woulda been older than 70.

Cancer she is a cold beotch.

AFF

It wasn't his physical appearance resulting from his illness that made me think he would be older. I think he was just one of those people who always seemed older than they were.

And when I say "older", I mean maybe somewhere between 75 and 80.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Eigon wrote: »
    He illustrated a lot of children's books, too.

Yes, I didn't know the name, but I recognised the style.
  • I just saw that Lawrence Ferlinghetti has died, at 101. I have been to his bookstore in SF.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Thinking about Lawrence Ferlinghetti, City Lights bookshop and the Beats of San Francisco...
  • Distinguished actof Ronald Pickup has died.
  • Distinguished actof Ronald Pickup has died.

:cry:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I somehow thought he'd have been older than 80.
  • I think he was one of those people who never looked young?
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    edited February 2021
    I heard last night at choir practice that church music composer Richard Shephard had died a few days ago. I hope he's composing for the heavenly choir.
    Fans of Coronation Street will be saddened to hear of the death of Johnny Briggs, who played the Street's arch-villain Mike Baldwin.

• Former footballer and TV pundit Ian St John has died. I'll be honest - football isn't my game - I never saw him, even on the tele, but I was struck by the photo in the BBC article below - St John, legs like sacks of cobbles, going studs-up at the keeper, who is punching a heavy leather ball away and damn the challenge coming in, shady business going on behind, and rammed terraces, and thinking just how the game has changed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250355
    (sorry, just can't get my scone round making links on the "new" software)
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Fans of Coronation Street will be saddened to hear of the death of Johnny Briggs, who played the Street's arch-villain Mike Baldwin.

Indeed. God forgive me, I'm a longtime Corry fan (what is dinner prep without that damn cat?). I recall that most extraordinary scene when Mike Baldwin died in that Lear-on-the-heath scene in Ken Barlow's arms while Mike's nephew searched for him in the driving rain. One of the best episodes of all time.
    Someone not well known outside of South Africa, but my friend and former colleague Karima Brown died of Covid yesterday after more than two weeks intubated in ICU. She was fearless and one of the most controversial figures in media, I disagreed with her often but never doubted her passion for investigative journalism and post-colonial politics. The tributes are coming in from all around South Africa.
    Another loss from southern Africa: Sr Janice McLaughlin of Maryknoll Sisters, author of Catholic missions in Zimbabwe's liberation war has died. She worked in Africa as a Maryknoll nun from 1961 and was known and loved by many in poorer communities and refugee camps across Mozambique and Zimbabwe. Although she was expelled from Rhodesia in 1978, she returned to Africa and continued working for peace -- she worked in Harare with an NGO protesting human trafficking until 2020.
  • No, no, no, no, no, no, sadly, yes. RIP actor Trevor Peacock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56332163
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Norton Juster, author of The Phantom Toll Booth and The Dot and the Line has died at age 91.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Oh, that's to bad. The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my favorite children's books.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Oh, mine too. I appreciated it even more as an adult when I understood all the references (the term ‘spelling bee’ wasn’t popular in the UK in the 1970s, for instance).

I hated that cartoon version that removed all the best jokes though.
    I found out what a spelling bee was by reading Peanuts cartoons (in the 1970s, now I think about it).
  • TurquoiseTasticTurquoiseTastic Kerygmania Host
    Crœsos wrote: »
    Norton Juster, author of The Phantom Toll Booth and The Dot and the Line has died at age 91.

Oh goodness me! Two of my favourite things. I must say he fell into the category of "I had no idea he was still alive" but still, I am sorry to hear it.
  • Motor racing legend (despite never driving in it) Murray Walker takes the final chequered flag at 97: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596?fbclid=IwAR0FPv_c4X7quVOEiG_Ay_l7PUxV_fruBzZWNSsvcfmDcMQvFNExPUKAGP4
    For some reason I'm surprised he was as old as that, even though he's sort of always been there.

RIP.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Lou Ottens, the most significant inventor you've never heard of, has died. He was the inventor of the cassette tape.
  • I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned that John Polkinhorne, scientist and priest, has died.
    And I’ve just read on f/b that Luis Palau, the evangelist, died on Thursday.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    edited March 2021
    🕯 🕯 🕯 I was saddened to hear yesterday that one of my finest mentors, Bishop Bruce Wilson died yesterday morning. He was an enormous support to me at three critical junctures in my life, but more than that, he was, I felt, an outstanding leader in the Australian Anglican Church. May he Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory. 🕯 🕯 🕯
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thank you Zappa, we'd missed that. While we never knew him personally better than shaking hands after a service or 2, he was a real leader for Anglicanism in Australia. He will RIP and RIG.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Eric Talley, a Colorado police officer whom I never knew about until today. And I am still crying over his death.
    Numerous tributes up for Egyptian feminist author Nawal El Saadawi (1931-2021)
  • Farewell to the actor George Segal.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Award winning actress Jessica Walter has died.
    The Pulitzer-winning Western writer Larry McMurtry just died
    And another writer today, I am truly saddened to say Beverly Cleary, the writer of the classic Ramona children's books, and many others, died today at 104.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    And another writer today, I am truly saddened to say Beverly Cleary, the writer of the classic Ramona children's books, and many others, died today at 104.

I loved the Ramona books.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »

Anyone remember The Last Picture Show?
    Here's the end of an era. Watergate coconspirator G. Gordon Liddy just died.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited March 2021
    With the death of Eugenio Martínez earlier this year, I think Liddy was the last living Watergate conspirator.

Here's Liddy being assessed on the Smoking Gun Tape:
    (President Nixon): He didn't know how it was going to be handled, though, with Dahlberg and the Texans, and so forth? Well, who was the asshole that did [ unclear?] Is it [G. Gordon] Liddy? If that the fellow? He must be a little nuts.

(Haldeman): He is.

(President Nixon): I mean, he just isn't well screwed on is he? Isn't that the problem?
  • I can't think of G Gorgon Liddy without a wry smile, because of Return Engagement, a documentary on his speaking tour with Timothy Leary.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Sojourner wrote: »
    NicoleMR wrote: »

Anyone remember The Last Picture Show?

Yep, saw the movie. But all I can really recall is Cybil Shepard getting into a swimming pool in some state of undress. That, and someone with a mentally-disabled son asking the other young people not to be cruel to him. (Bogdanovich has never been a director I followed much.)

Apparently, McMurtry also wrote the novel Terms Of Endearment. Saw the movie, liked it, don't remember much.

And I thought Brokeback Mountain, which he scripted, was pretty unremarkable.
  • The recurring theme of McMurtry’s books is Texas

Read Terms of Endearment but never saw the movie. The thought of Shirley Maclaine miscast as Aurora Greenway was too much. Enjoyed Moving On ( set 10 years earlier in which Aurora played a bit part)

The Last Picture Show was a good read, set in a small town in the late 40s/ early 50s. A pity to have made the movie all about Cybill Shepherd ( infinitely forgettable actrine)
  • Farewell to Valerie Pitts, Lady Solti.

Always very kind - marvellous at smoothing down any feathers her mercurial husband ruffled.
  • Founder of Keston College, the Reverend Canon Michael Bordeaux died last week.

His funeral service will be live-streamed by Iffley Church next Monday, 12th April.
  • Founder of Keston College, the Reverend Canon Michael Bordeaux died last week.

His funeral service will be live-streamed by Iffley Church next Monday, 12th April.

There is an obituary here: https://www.baylor.edu/kestoncenter/index.php?id=977472
  • His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh has died, just short of his centenary.
    RIP.
  • Vale Phil the Greek, crusty old bastard that he was
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I don't think Paul Ritter, who died a couple of days ago at age 54, has been mentioned, so I will add him. I barely ever watch TV shows, but I really loved Friday Night Dinner, and he was fantastic in that.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    fineline wrote: »
    I barely ever watch TV shows, but I really loved Friday Night Dinner, and he was fantastic in that.

That.
  • The last of the Gang of Four, Shirley Williams, has died aged 90.