Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Good to hear the Dowager is doing well, she's amazing, and so is the support she's getting from her family.
  • Yay for my son, known on another thread as Cathsgiraffe, who has passed all his Highers (Scottish Exams, for entering further education. There was SOME DOUBT that he would....
  • Well done, Cathsgiraffe. He's a teenage boy, it's not cool studying, which can be scary to be around.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Well done indeed, Cathsgiraffe! I remember all too well getting my Highers results (39 years ago! :blush: ) over the phone from my dad.

I was in hospital in Aberdeen having eye surgery at the time, and while I had fairly accurately predicted my results, he couldn't quite disguise his disappointment that I'd failed Maths (I passed it second time around).
  • Yay! for all the Yay!

And congrats on exams passed - it's no small achievement!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    ...Huge relief that it's over - at least to having the court case over and done with and a guilty verdict agreed.

Deo gratias, CK.

• Huia wrote: »
    Good to hear the Dowager is doing well, she's amazing, and so is the support she's getting from her family.

Thank you @Huia - sometimes it's through gritted teeth, I'm afraid!

To (mis)quote @neandergirl - Yay! for everyone's yay!
  • I can't be more specific, but I decision that had me worried has been made, and I'm thrilled with the outcome. Thank you, Lord!
    Yay, Pigwidgeon!
  • sabinesabine Shipmate
    Was sent to a neurologist to rule out Parkinson's, and she doesn't think it is!! Katharine Hepburn style tremors maybe.
    Excellent news, both!
  • Yay! Pidwigeon
    Yay! Sabine
    It looks as if, from next Wednesday, I'll be rejoining the ranks of the employed! :smiley:
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Yay, Piglet!
    My very good friend S. just rejoined the ranks after about six months out. She is happy and relieved.
    Excellent!
    Yay, Piglet!

Yay, sabine!
  • My radiotherapy is finished. Having heard horror stories of third degree burns and so on, I am relieved to have escaped with some very red & sensitive areas (which are responding well to some cream) and a couple of blisters. Let's hope the surgery, chemo & radiotherapy did their job, and killed off the bastard cancer, and the 5 years of hormone therapy that lies ahead of me keeps away any reoccurence.
    I am extremely grateful to - and for - the compassionate and competent medical teams who have supported me through this 9 months of treatment.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    {Dormouse}
  • Yay for the end of radiotherapy Doormouse! And for less severe "war wounds" than you feared. Fingers crossed for a battle won!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    (((Dormouse))) So good to hear that you have completed that part of your therapy!
    Hurrah, Dormouse! Prayers continuing for a full and speedy recovery! :)
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Praying for your continued recovery, Dormouse.
    Brava, Dormouse! You have been in my daily prayers.

• Thank you Lord, for all the kind people who take time to post messages of reassurance and support.

We love you.
    We trust in you.
    We place our lives into your hands, today and every day.
    Amen, Mrs. S, amen.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    Relationship between Middle Son and his partner, which looked dead and buried six months ago has improved no end. Their boys are much happier, he has a job, she can cope better and their finances are more stable (although they aren't out of the woods yet). We aren't taking anything for granted so we continue to hope and pray for them. I'm sure that a large part of the problem is that her parents separated bitterly and we don't want her to feel that's the way it has to be! A little wisdom and tact is needed there.

Praise be also that my first eyesight test in 45 years confirmed that while I am shortsighted there is little else wrong beyond the likelihood of cataracts later. At my age I can't complain.

eta: Hooray for Dormouse! Piglet too!
    That's all wonderful news, Sionisais.
    {{{SS and family}}}

My rejoicing was a bit premature: after virtually offering me the job, they changed their minds. :cry:
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    Oh that sucks, Piglet. Much sympathy.
    Thanks Nicole - I was very pissed off about it, although it seemed at the second meeting I had with them that they were expecting more than the job (or the pay-grade) might have suggested.

C'est la chuffing vie, as they say!
    Damn, Piglet. I'm sorry.
  • sionisais wrote: »

Praise be also that my first eyesight test in 45 years confirmed that while I am shortsighted there is little else wrong beyond the likelihood of cataracts later. At my age I can't complain.

eta: Hooray for Dormouse! Piglet too!

Please, everyone, don't do this! Sioni, you are more blessed than you may know. Glaucoma sneaks up on you and steals your sight, symptomlessly. Unless the pressure tests or field of vision tests show up the early symptoms, your brain just fills in for your failing eyesight until the damage is done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad your sight is okay, but regular sight tests are truly vital. Believe me, I know whereof I speak.

Mrs. S, glaucoma sufferer
  • Point taken. I have been warned about glaucoma and indeed I do consider myself lucky. I have had pressure and field of vision tests and they are OK just now (despite eight years in hot sunny climes that do Northern European eyes no favours).
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I posted this yesterday on a Private Board, but I wanted to share my joy more widely.

My section was invaded today by 10 adults and various assorted children from a couple in pushchairs, to a very hard working 10 year old boy and a couple of teenagers. The idea started when F my over-the-road neighbour offered to get her church group to do some gardening ( my garden has overwhelmed me totally for the last couple of years.) year) - it kind of grew from there. They weeded the strip between the driveway and the fence, put down black plastic and stones, dug out some huge dock plants, painted the letterbox purple, (yes- it is possible to fall in love with your letterbox). They dug out the raised gardens for spring time planting, they trimmed 2 trailer loads of foliage from the roses and the camellias and also removed a mixed pile of stones and dirt, and dug out a huge mat of convululos roots.

AND they managed to do it without making me feel I was a screw-up for not keeping up with things. THEN the gave me an azalea with cerise pink flowers and a voucher to spend at the garden centre.

I wasn't looking forward to them coming to be honest, because I didn't know how I would cope with that many people around, but somehow the fact that they were spread out made it so much easier, as did the way they checked before cutting things down.

Waking up to the new landscape this morning I am even more appreciative of what everyone has done for me. The assorted cats who visit are carefully inspecting the new territory, while Georgie-Porgy is taking it all in her stride.
  • That sounds brilliant Huia, glad it's all gone so well for you.
    That's wonderful, Huia!
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    That's wonderful, Huia!

It sure is, Huia. Like you, I have trouble accepting helplike that or having strangers inside. Not frightened, just not my thing. Plumbers, electricians etc are ok, but volunteers like yours are hard.

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Huia, what an amazing group of people that must have been! I'm so happy they got your garden sorted!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes they are, mainly from Grace Vineyard Church. I suspect their theology might be quite different from mine, but their practical loving I have no quarrel with. I am incredibly grateful and every time I catch a glimpse of my purple letterbox it lifts my heart.💜(not sure if that will show up, but it's a purple heart.)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Definitely a purple heart! What a great start to spring/summer, Huia.
  • Oh Huia, where's that spinning smiley when you need it? That sounds fabulous :heart:
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Huia that sounds amazing, what practical theology. I have a pink azalea that makes me smile every time it flowers, which is around my birthday in May here.
    Hurrah and praise that my niece, L, has found what could be her dream job. It means she'll be moving to London so we may get to see a bit more of her.
    Long story but thanks to the very kind woman that looked after another niece, T, who had a seizure on the way to see my mum. I came across said niece flat out at a bus stop with the woman phoning the ambulance service and T's mum. It was just outside my mum's place so after she was checked over and it was decided she didn't need to go to hospital we went on to mum's for a cup of tea and then put her in a taxi home
    Gosh, Sarasa - I hope she's going to be all right.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    Sounds like a Good Home to me!

Two items for P & T:

1. My friend D., who helped me buy, transport, and install a new fridge for the Palace, and to get rid of the old one, despite himself being Not At All Well;
    2. Those who design things for the less-able, to wit, walking-stick, picky-up-thingy, bath seat, folding trolley (heavy items for the transporting of), all of which have recently been added to the Palace inventory.

Yay for clever and helpful peeps!

IJ
  • My morning bus stop is about ten yards beyond the corner. Easy enough to walk back when I'm dropped off. Several of the drivers know me and stop right at the intersection, so I can just step off the bus and onto the sidewalk on my way. Strictly against the rules of course, but at 4am there's never any traffic to complicate things, and I do appreciate the gesture.
    I've done a fair bit of complaining about the local bus service; it's nice to say something good about it.
  • More Yay! for helpful bus drivers!

IJ
  • After some years of nagging I have succumbed to wearing spectacles. My excuse is that I have never driven but o my gosh do they make a difference! I have just about got used to walking around with them on and they are no use for reading, but that's not what they are for.
  • So glad to be able to tell you that our dear friends S and E, for whom I requested prayers at the time of Florence, suffered no ill-effects. They stayed away a week and on their return to Oak Island found no damage to their house (only tree damage) and no power loss, even! Thank you to all who prayed for their safety :heart:
    Huzzah for S and E!

• Thanks Ross - yes indeed, huzzah!