Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
edited April 2018 in All Saints
On the vintage Ship, we had a thread of this title for farewells to public figures, etc. Figured we need one here.

(And, as Zappa said in starting it, "though not precluding individual threads too".)

Comments

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    --Barbara Bush, former first lady, wife of Pres. Bush 41, and mother of Dubya (Bush 43), died yesterday.

--Harry Andersen, magician and Judge Harry T. Stone on the popular sitcom "Night Court". I especially care about this one. I dearly love NC, and watching it always makes me happier. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, because it can be offensive. But it's universally offensive, poking fun at just about everything and everyone. It also has a lot of heart.

Here's Harry's NY Times obit. (Don't know if it costs a click.) I knew he used to run street-corner con games, before winding up on "Cheers"; but there's a lot I didn't know.

May Barbara and Harry both have peace and light, and may all who care about them be comforted.
  • Did you have any one in particular in mind, Golden Key?

I see Barbara Bush has died. I really know little of her. RIP.
    We cross-posted. See the post just above yours. :)
  • That must have been seconds apart as it was not there when I was writing. Thanks.
  • Joan RaschJoan Rasch Shipmate Posts: 24
    "Episcopal Cafe" writes of the passing of The Rev'd Ann Fontaine, a faithful worker in the Episcopal Church (USA). She was noted as the mainstay of the 'Speaking to the Soul' section of the site, blogged as what the tide brings in, was active with EFM, and church matters generally.
    "Well done, good and faithful servant. RIP - RIG.
  • Joan Rasch wrote: »
    She was noted as the mainstay of the 'Speaking to the Soul' section of the site, blogged as what the tide brings in . . . .
    A corrected link to the blog is here. Thanks for linking to it. It's an interesting and moving read.

Re Harry Andersen:

A TV station here is running a "Night Court" marathon today to commemorate Harry. Bliss.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Just saw a note posted by Union Theological Seminary on the death of James H Cone at 79. His work on black liberation theology had considerable impact in South Africa during the struggle against apartheid, especially in the late '80s.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    [Merged from "James Cone RIP" thread]

The father of black theology - at first disliked by women and gays for dismissing their struggle but came to realise it was the same struggle and that 'God is black'.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    [Merged from "David Edwards RIP" thread]

The shy, establishment liberal who was the editor at SCM who took the risk and published John Robinson's'Honest to God', held foes like John Stott in deep respect and wrote myriads of book reviews.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Hard to merge 2 very different, almost opposite, people
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited May 2018
    Leo, the merge is not of two people but merging your two farewells into the thread specifically for that purpose. The admin who did it wanted to make sure of the person who had died and found that David Edwards is a very common name.

Thread for this purpose is called General Goodbyes and RIPs .

Any more comments to the Styx please, although I think this post should be clear.

Lothlorien, AS Host

edited May 2018
    Actress Margot Kidder has died. She played Lois Lane in the Christopher Reeve "Superman" movies. She was also an advocate for people with mental health issues, based on her own experiences with bipolar disorder.
    (votive)
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Our local paper, the Brecon and Radnor Express, has a story in it about Margot Kidder coming to Brecon Library to research her family history! Apparently she was related to a Powell family who farmed around the village of Llanigon near Hay-on-Wye - and she presented staff who helped her with signed posters advertising the Daily Planet!
  • Dr Bruce Shepherd, the father of two profoundly deaf children and the founder of the Shepherd Centre for deaf children has died. I know children whom he helped and it is said he has helped many hundreds of deaf children.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Colin Morris - one of my preacher-models, former President of the Methodist Conference; omne of the lomngest serving contributors to Radio 4's Thought for the Day.
  • For Statisticians and Medics amongst you Doug Altman as in Bland and Altman and former Statistical Editor of the BMJ has died.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Rest In Peace, Anthony Michael Bourdain.
    I find myself mourning a man I never met. One whose show I'd watched only once and who, until recently, I'd not known much about. I still know only a little, mostly about how he stood by girlfriend Asia Argento. And he how he spoke against the men who had transgressed, even his friends. And not in a self-righteous or self-aggrandising "I did not do anything, shame on them", but in holding himself accountable for being part of the culture that fostered, ignored and didn't see those transgressions. It is a rare person who can examine themselves this way. One who examines beyond what they can directly be held accountable for. One asks why he didn't do better then and how he can do better now.
    The world is poorer for his passing. Not that he was a perfect person, but that he tried to be good despite not being perfect. So I find myself mourning a man I've never met. Anthony Michael Bourdain, Rest In Peace.
    So well written, lilbuddhe, thank you. I met Anthony Bourdain briefly on a media tour in South Africa, but didn't know him. I was struck by the raw honesty of Kitchen Confidential and his other writing, his outspokenness and respect for cultural diversity, his humility. A huge loss.
    And he got together with Pres. Obama at some little cafe/diner somewhere in Asia, and their conversation was televised. Cool. And it was nice to see Obama really kick back and relax.

Bless AB and everyone affected by his loss.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    And he got together with Pres. Obama at some little cafe/diner somewhere in Asia, and their conversation was televised. Cool. And it was nice to see Obama really kick back and relax.

I believe that they were in Hanoi. Good choice.
  • Peter Thompson, the Australian golfer has died st 88 from Parkinson’s disease. Winner of many tournaments, he also had outside interests and took part in many public fora.
  • Golden Key wrote: »

I believe that they were in Hanoi. Good choice.
  • neandergirlneandergirl Shipmate
    edited June 2018
    Harlan Ellison has died.
    Claude Lanzmann, film director who made the Holocaust documentary Shoah, has died at the age of 92.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    A very, very long documentary, he took risks as it was very controversial amongst Poles.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited July 2018
    As is our usual habit when a Shipmate dies, I've opened a separate thread for posting tributes to and memories of Janine, including the four comments already posted.

Piglet, AS host
  • If you have or know of kids of a certain age you may recall Robbie Rotten (Stefan Karl Stefansson) from LazyTown. I'll admit he made me laugh.
  • Senator John McCain has passed away at the age of 81, after choosing to stop treatment for glioblastoma earlier this week. I did not agree with his politics most of the time, but I admired his independence and integrity. He was a hero, and we will not see the likes of him in American politics again.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    May he rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    A great American. Would that there were more.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    He will be sorely missed. We need more principled men like him. May he Rest In Peace and Rise in Glory.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    A man of integrity, but wrongly accused of lying by the Trump camp.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    He fought the good fight, and his heart and integrity made a difference, especially in the last year. May he rest in peace.
    Yea and amen to all of the above. RIP Senator McCain.
    Good.
    As noted, he was a man of principle. Why would he want that creature in attendance?
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    edited August 2018
    Amen. I'm another that did not agree with a lot of his politics, but I sure admired his courage, his principles, and his willingness to work with folks across the aisle.

As a side note, back in the 60's, my BFF had one of the Vietnam POW bracelets. The person on the bracelet was John McCain. He was showing his excellent character, even back then.
    I hope your friend kept that bracelet!

• RIP John McCain.
    Ahh-men, Nicole.
  • A nuanced review of McCain's life. A contradictory contribution.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    An interesting article, thanks.
  • Sad to hear that Jacqueline Pearce, who played Servalan in Blake's Seven, has just died.
  • Burt Reynolds. RIP
  • I will always remember Burt Reynolds for his nude centerfold in Cosmo back in the 70s. RIP, Burt Reynolds.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    I don't know how many X-philes there are out there, but I remember his turn as Mr. Burt/God fondly in the episode "Improbable". Instead of playing chess with Death, the gals played checkers with God.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    I will always remember Burt Reynolds for his nude centerfold in Cosmo back in the 70s. RIP, Burt Reynolds.

This turned up in my Twitter feed more than once. I have the setting for hiding "sensitive" things turned on, so now I'm wondering what is actually sensitive. Not that I have any complaints about seeing this centerfold!
  • Burt Reynolds always came across as a decent man with a well-developed sense of humour. And the nude centrefold thing was a hoot.