AS: Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

Comments

• caroline444caroline444 Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    @Boogie
    I have just spent ages checking out those threads!!! Absolutely fascinating and enchanting. Loved learning a bit about Guide Dog puppyhood (& mummyhood.) How interesting that guide dogs are a cross between GR and Labs. I always thought they were pure Lab. But of course GRs have the most amazing temperaments. Am curious as to why they do the cross? It seems that either breed would be perfect.

It was great to see all the pix - I particularly enjoyed the videos. Spencer is totally adorable, and is obviously brilliantly well suited to the life awaiting him. How lovely that during his puppyhood he also had the company of Tatze, and your (also adorable) previous foster dog too. Like others have said, I have no idea how you can manage to send them on to Big School, but I think you are doing a fantastic job. Talk about changing people's lives....

Finally, I also enjoyed all the icons on the threads! Especially the one where the dog appears to have his head in a bucket, and the one with the upside down toofy smile! Thank you for showing me that!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    Thank you again - yes, it is utterly heartbreaking when they go. But, at the same time, it’s utterly addictive.

Lab/GRs are excellent because you get the steadiness of the GR and the keenness of the Lab.

Guide Dogs use -

Lab/GR crosses - 59%

Labradors - 25%

Golden Retrievers - 8%

German Shepherds - 3%

Other breeds and crosses - 5%

:)

• As a child growing up in New Jersey, they trained "Seeing Eye Dogs" in Morristown, NJ. In those days I seem to recall all of them were German Shepherds. I can't remember the last time I saw a German Shepherd guide dog, so I'm surprised that they make up 3%.
  • @Boogie
    Interesting - thank you.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Adorable as always, Boogie!

Caroline, are you sure you want to get roped in as a cleaning volunteer? :mrgreen:

I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek here - when we were in St. John's I got talked into joining the Cathedral altar guild (and even becoming their secretary), but I found it a bit of a bind, and was quite happy to hand in my resignation as soon as I got a job. The social aspect was fine, but if I'm honest it wasn't for me - my cleaning, sewing and laundering skills aren't really up to it!
    It's a very warm day here (25° and sunny, but mercifully not humid). The air-con in the château has been deployed for the first time since last autumn, so I'm just the right temperature.

I might have a bit of an amble later when it's cooled down a little, although when I went out to put some rubbish in the bin it was actually very pleasant.

• It's so cold, wet and dreary here in the Deep Dark Forest that Mr. S has purchased a gas heater - one of those that runs on bottled gas. I loathe it- can't explain quite why - but it does provide instant and portable heat, which otherwise we don't have.

Hard to believe that this time last year it was too hot to eat out of doors...

Mrs. S, shivering under the winter duvet :angry:
  • Really cold here too - we got soaked wandering back from the supermarket yesterday evening. I had a coat on, but my daughter did not, so it was a strip change when we got back and into the washing machine. My heating thermostat on the combi boiler is set low for summer (daughter is a really chilly mortal) and it's come on a few times over the last few days.

Did anyone else see the news that the M25 is closed in Kent to deal with the two sink holes that have opened up under the month's worth of rain last night?
  • Yes, I saw that. It's been cold, wet and very windy all night, I didn't sleep well. On Friday we had the most torrential rain- and hailstorm with quite a lot of flash flooding.

Of course this isn't new: it's what they got in 1944 around D-Day. Last year my son took me to a marvellous play about it called "Pressure": https://tinyurl.com/y9x6py9y
  • Latest news is that the M25 re-opened around 0730 - the sinkholes are in the central reservation, rather than the carriageway itself, AIUI.

Sunshiny here this morning TBTG, with light showers forecast for tomorrow and Thursday, so rather more typical June weather!

The Stove is still alight - I've topped it up a little, so as to provide some ambient warmth and dryness for today. I'll probably let it go out overnight.
  • Are you sure that will be safe? It might go to the pub, drink too much, come back with a nasty hangover and be quite useless in the morning. Better to keep it in, I think - but you won't be popular!
  • Drizzle here in Cambridge. Today is my reading day and I was hoping to go and sit in the botanical gardens but am now planning to stay home. I might do some marking and get it done early.
  • ...so it was a strip change when we got back and into the washing machine.

cue visions of you and daughter climbing into the washing machine :lol:
    edited June 2019
    Wet, cold and windy. I love it! I have SAD but the other way round to the usual. Hate the heat. This weather (bar the issues it is causing for people, like sinkholes), is my idea of bliss. May even have to put on a cardi in a minute.... Hooray!
  • I'm enjoying this summer much more than I was last summer, but I normally love the heat and sun.
    edited June 2019
    Piglet wrote: »

Caroline, are you sure you want to get roped in as a cleaning volunteer? :mrgreen:

I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek here - when we were in St. John's I got talked into joining the Cathedral altar guild (and even becoming their secretary), but I found it a bit of a bind, and was quite happy to hand in my resignation as soon as I got a job. The social aspect was fine, but if I'm honest it wasn't for me - my cleaning, sewing and laundering skills aren't really up to it!

For various reasons I am pretty limited in what I can do. A bit of light cleaning, early in the morning, just about sums up my capabilities. I will be pathetically grateful if this proves to be feasible. People at the cathedral have be deluging me with suggestions for possible voluntary work there. Feeling a pathetic prat of the first order, I have just had to say "No, no, no, no, no, no.....and more no." I can well see how one might easily be overwhelmed, even if healthy and robust :O(

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    House sinking into squalor around me as I type. Fell over a French pavement last week and reaped one bruised knee, one very bruised knee, sprained wrist, bruises on hand and elbow.

I can manage washing pans and loading the washing machine, but anything requiring a bit of welly beyond me. The thing that is really so far beyond as to be over the horizon, is changing the bed. We have this king size mattress stuffed with Yorkshire sheep (possibly the entire animal, not just the wool). It takes two good arms and a knee to just about heave up a corner. Just as well I have the brown sheets on at the moment...
  • I’m very glad for a gap in the rain - I have a relative coming from Afar to visit the nearby nature reserves today, and although we’re going to a wetland area I would far rather walk there than swim.
    edited June 2019
    @Firenze
    Sorry about your various ailments after the fall...especially the sprained wrist. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Your description of your king size mattress stuffed with a sheep made me laugh! I went for a 'natural' mattress too, one stuffed with cotton. I couldn't believe it when I tried to make the bed, let alone turn the mattress!

• Are you sure that will be safe? It might go to the pub, drink too much, come back with a nasty hangover and be quite useless in the morning. Better to keep it in, I think - but you won't be popular!

Hah! No outing for the Stove, as it has a broken grate, so has had to be extinguished early...

...but Mr eBay to the rescue - a replacement grate is on its way.

Didn't I read somewhere that you were supposed to be having a Sahara-like heatwave? Actually, now I think about it, it may have been a Google news-feed headline from the Daily Express, so probably b*ll*cks.

It's still warm here - currently 23° - but due to start raining any minute now, so ambling today may be restricted to a circumnavigation of Costco.

I had a nice little amble along the road and back last night, and although it was still 25°, it was pleasantly unhumid, so really quite comfortable.
  • @Firenze That's really lousy. Hope you're on the mend soon.

There must be something in the air at the moment. I know two other people who have had bad falls in the last couple of weeks, one of home broke a couple of ribs and her neck (a hairline fracture, but still).
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    What heatwave???? All we have is rain. Sainsbury's car park is flooded again, and I keep forgetting that my shoes are no longer waterproof. I'm wet, cold and fed up. At this rate I'll need the hot water bottle; a feral cat at the end of the bed isn't enough.
  • Hah! No outing for the Stove, as it has a broken grate, so has had to be extinguished early...

...but Mr eBay to the rescue - a replacement grate is on its way.
    That is a grate expectation.

• Yes, I shall be duly grateful when it arrives, as the weather is still rather coal-ed.

Time now to log off, I think...
  • What, you have a woodburner as well?
  • The Stove will eat burn anything...
  • How greedy! - it clearly has no manners, but a good digestion.
  • Actually, that's about right. It burns me sometimes, and I have the scars to prove it...

It's rather like having a small, and not 100% tame, Dragon, to look after.
    :flushed:
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    Our heating is on and I'm back to wearing a winter fleece. Flaming June???
  • Priscilla wrote: »
    Our heating is on and I'm back to wearing a winter fleece. Flaming June???

Well, "flamin' June", anyway!
    Oh dear - you are having a rotten time. I won't say what our current temperature is ... :blush:

By application of Murphy's Law, surely when BF's new grate arrives, the sun will come out in all its glory?
    ION, I don't think I mentioned it here, but ou Permanent Residence cards arrived last week, on the first application! We can now think about making bookings to cross the pond for my niece's wedding (and get to meet her new nephew).

Mind you, this afternoon is going to be occupied in getting passport photos for D., who's just noticed that his passport expires in October, and filling in the online application; and getting documents that we need to send to the lawyers who are selling Dad's house. Why they should need 12 months' proof of my address is anyone's guess.

Must go now and cook the sausages to go with the cheese PIE for lunch.
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host, 8th Day Host
    It is oddly nippy for June, and I got caught in torrential rain the other day when walking in the woods. Though I prefer a bit nippy to very hot - I remember last summer feeling awful when it was very hot.

It's the summer holidays for me now - I'm giving myself a challenge of walking in the woods every day, to a part of town where there's a library, and then I go there and sit and read for an hour.

I've also lately been using up the blackberries in my freezer, eating them with banana and yogurt - I have loads and loads of them, from all my blackberry picking last summer, and so it occurs to me it would be a good idea to eat them and then I can refill the bags with more when they start appearing this summer.

Lots of elderflower in the woods at the moment. I like to pick it and put it in tea. I drink black tea, and it's lovely with a sprig of elderflower.

Piglet, congrats on getting your permanent residence - that's fantastic.
  • Mmmmmmm, walks in the wood, blackberries and elderflowers....
  • ....yes, if only it would stop bl**dy raining!
  • Confession - I love it! This is my favourite You Tube video, especially on overly hot summer days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0sToWtatw
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    That is unnecessary, c444
  • We have had torrential rain and the drop in temperature is such that I had to use the windscreen demister when I went out :grimace:
  • That wet, and drippy, video had me racing to the loo after about two minutes...
    :grimace:
    edited June 2019
    I confess that as long as I don't have to be out in it, I quite like listening to the rain on the roof; this is the first time we've lived in a bungalow, and it's that bit more immediate. If there's a spot of thunder and lightning as well, so much the better - especially if it's been really close and muggy, and it clears the air.

You do have my sympathy with your soggy June, but with any luck they'll have run out of rain in time for Wimbledon ...

If it's any consolation, our forecast for next week seems to be hot (20°+) and mostly wet - not my favourite combination!
  • Oh Piglet - rain on the roof - love it! Heard a wonderful Radio 4 play some years ago based on the monsoon season arriving in India. It started with just one splat of rain on a corrugated iron roof, which slowly built up into a crescendo to a furious drumming.... Lucky you with your bungalow weathery roof!
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host, 8th Day Host
    I love the cosiness of being inside when the rain is pouring down outside. I'm not sure if it's the sound of the rain I like, or the fact that I'm dry and not outside! I also love it when I go for a walk and it's dry, and then it starts to rain just as I get home, or get to my indoor destination.

I'm also very happy that the leak I had in my house has finally been fixed properly. I had a few years of not liking the rain even when I was indoors, because it leaked through my bathroom ceiling, and no one could find where it was coming from, but they finally found it and fixed it.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    I don’t mind the rain, I have waterproof everything and have no choice but to don them and get out.

The cold I’m not so keen on. 🥶 🥶

So today’s puppy training will all be indoors (shopping centre and tram ride). I don’t do shopping, I hate it - all my shopping is done online. But I have to walk round shops with the pup regularly, I occasionally buy one item to give the pup practice at queuing. He’s very good at it, bless him. Yesterday we were in a queue at the garden centre and a Guide Dog was behind us. Spencer was interested but well behaved. :heart:
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    That wet, and drippy, video had me racing to the loo after about two minutes...
    :grimace:
    See, and that's just why The Ship is now available in improved form for mobile phone users! :)
  • @fineline

Eeeeek! No, rain and leaking roofs are not a good combo :O(
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Should we rename this thread "Way too Cool Britannia ..."?
    I'm quite enjoying the currently cooler Continental climes, like some others are in Blighty, as we see from this thread. Not being much into summer heat myself, I'm afraid cannot fully agree with 'Brrrr... - exit!'
  • :anguished:

Wesley J, you really need to have a word with your script-writer...
    :lol: anyway...
    edited June 2019
    You think that's bad? Check out the Waterford Whisper News! :)

But you're right, it's my day off and the sun and increasing heat are getting to me. Must.Do.Better. I'll get my towel.
    It's currently 21° and beginning to cloud over, but not unpleasant - there's a wee bit of a breeze. We're invited to the Holy Joes' annual barbecue this evening, and although the eating will be done indoors, I hope the rain doesn't start until the forecast says it will (7 o'clock).
    ION, I'm starting yet another battle with bureaucracy - this time with the Law Society of Scotland. For some reason, they need a shedload of ID information from me in relation to the sale of Dad's house - including 12 months-worth of proof of my address, which we've just gone to considerable trouble to get from our bank - and when I went into the web-site to fill it all in and upload things, the site wouldn't accept my address because it's not in the ****** UK.

Give me strength ... :rage:
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Sorry about your bureaucratic nightmares @Piglet - hope they are soon over.

I’m fed up.

Depressed with the political situation here. I keep finding some hope, then things get worse! I can’t begin to believe that so many people want us to simply cut all ties with the EU. I so wish we’d moved to Germany when my son did. Too late now. :cry:
This discussion has been closed.