Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Glad to hear you're on the mend, RoS - those post-Christmas bugs can be a right pain.

I took the trees and cards down and put the festive teddies away this evening, but the candle-bridges will stay up until Candlemas.

The Nativity characters have been moved to the table where the tree was, as there's enough space there for the Wise Men, who have arrived from roughly the east. The star is still in place because (a) "there it did both stop and stay"; and (b) I couldn't be bothered to climb up on a chair to get it down. :smiley:
  • We took our tree down last night, we were too busy on Saturday.it’s being collected by a local hospice charity in return for a donation.
    My youngest has just left for his first day back at school and eldest will be leaving soon and has an exam. I will be spending the morning catching up with my students via email and forums and then this afternoon I need to write a tutorial on ethics in end of life care and a study skills session on how to use PowerPoint.
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    I have a delightful morning ahead of me - a drive up to Toddington services and back to retrieve the handbag I left there yesterday. Bliss! Better make sure I have some decent music in the car (I get to choose the music as it's just me!)

Mention of panettone reminds me that I have one uneaten in the kitchen. I wonder whether my other half has forgotten all about it? That could be useful. I'm trying valiently to avoid the temptation of the Christmas chocolates - the one downside of a temporary bout of having to work from home while my office undergoes some urgent building work. Panettone has to be healthier than chocolate, surely. I mean, it has fruit in it.

Our decorations have been down for a couple of days. My task this afternoon is to turn my hobby room (or rather, dumping ground) into a bedroom before my sister arrives for a visit on Thursday and, more importantly, before the new bed arrives potentially tomorrow (Please let it arrive before Thursday, please!).

• We also have a panettone in the kitchen. I admit it does nothing for me and I have no urge to open it.
    Just got back from my morning walk having done some work earlier. I’m having a sit down with a cup of tea before wading back in.
  • Smudgie wrote: »
    My task this afternoon is to turn my hobby room (or rather, dumping ground) into a bedroom before my sister arrives for a visit on Thursday and, more importantly, before the new bed arrives
    A proper bed? Not a sofa-bed? Won't that be in the way when you want your hobby room for hobbies? Or maybe you have more visitors than hobby equipment?
    I had anticipated making bread & butter pudding with the panettone, but I don't think that is going to be necessary
  • Smudgie wrote: »

Mention of panettone reminds me that I have one uneaten in the kitchen. I wonder whether my other half has forgotten all about it? That could be useful. I'm trying valiently to avoid the temptation of the Christmas chocolates - the one downside of a temporary bout of having to work from home while my office undergoes some urgent building work. Panettone has to be healthier than chocolate, surely. I mean, it has fruit in it.

No, CHOCOLATE is good, too. It's made of beans, and beans are vegetables.

• Nenya wrote: »
    What kind of things make people here dodge church? Is it the form of service, who's speaking, who's leading the worship? Mr Nen isn't coming with me this morning and although he hasn't told me why I suspect it's at least partly because it's an all age service. Unlike me - I love an action song and hearing what the children say when they're asked about things.

Not encouraging any sort of judgement on each other - just interested.

As a salaried organist the short answer is nothing short of being so ill I can't get out of bed.

If I'm away then the only thing that makes me miss is if I cannot find a service early enough for my attendance at church not to inconvenience the rest of the party: that may mean only getting to an Evensong but I still try to get to church. Clergy child, habit... :grin:

• No, CHOCOLATE is good, too. It's made of beans, and beans are vegetables.

It also contains sugar, which is another vegetable, whether in the grass cane or beet form.
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    Smudgie wrote: »
    My task this afternoon is to turn my hobby room (or rather, dumping ground) into a bedroom before my sister arrives for a visit on Thursday and, more importantly, before the new bed arrives
    A proper bed? Not a sofa-bed? Won't that be in the way when you want your hobby room for hobbies? Or maybe you have more visitors than hobby equipment?
    I had anticipated making bread & butter pudding with the panettone, but I don't think that is going to be necessary

RoS, it is a daybed with a trundle bed underneath it. That way I can sit on it and read when not totally inconvenienced by visitors. The room has always had a sofa bed in it but we discovered that they're not that resilient to 20-year-olds jumping on them (yes, I know!). With my sister visiting on Thursday, I decided that the time had come to replace it. Trouble is, between getting rid of the sofa bed and gaining a day bed, the room itself seems to have disappeared under a mountain of post-Christmas gumpf.

• RoseofsharonRoseofsharon Shipmate
    edited January 7
    Smudgie wrote: »
    Trouble is, between getting rid of the sofa bed and gaining a day bed, the room itself seems to have disappeared under a mountain of post-Christmas gumpf.
    Because the sofa-bed is the largest 'click-clack' type I could get (to accommodate Younger Son and his 8month pregnant wife at the time of purchase) everything has to be put away before I can use the room for gathering the post-Christmas gumpf together for packing away.
    I have not been feeling up to the task so far, so atm every other room in the bungalow is under its own mountain of such gumpf.

• I took all the baubles off the tree and removed it to the garden, The Wife is not only putting them in boxes but also a Big Clean. I am taking all the boxes upstairs (2 flights) for later translation to the loft and I have stripped and remade the Marital Bed (I hate changing duvet covers!) Our meal tonight will be fish and chips or something to be Quickly Warmed Up from the supermarket.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 7

No, CHOCOLATE is good, too. It's made of beans, and beans are vegetables.

It also contains sugar, which is another vegetable, whether in the grass cane or beet form.

O - I had forgot that!
    :grin:

Quite right......thanks for the salutary reminder!

Now, where did I put those lovely SUGARY, CHOCOLATELY, Christmas biscuits?? I feel the need for a veggie hit....

Ah! O Joy! I hear them calling from the Episcopal Sideboard....
    :yum:

• It also contains sugar, which is another vegetable, whether in the grass cane or beet form.

Don't say that or my five a day will be two double rums and a curly wurly...
    And pannetone is full of fruit, so must be one of your five-a-day, mustn't it?

After the choir party, there was a slow-cooker half-full of chilli left over, whose owner said she didn't think she'd use it all, so we took some and had it for lunch today, and very nice it was too. A wee bit hotter than I make, but v. nice all the same, and all I had to do was cook up some rice to go with it.

It's a cold but cloudless day here: no sign yet of the sn*w we're supposed to be getting in the next couple of days.
  • It also contains sugar, which is another vegetable, whether in the grass cane or beet form.

And your problem with that is...??
    :wink:

• NenyaNenya Shipmate

And your problem with that is...??
    :wink:

I was going to say - sounds pretty reasonable to me. :wink:
  • Trying to eat a rainbow diet, but the fridge is looking pretty empty, so I think I will need to go out and buy something green tomorrow, and probably something purple-ish, although I think there are a few blackcurrants somewhere in the freezer
  • A rainbow diet sounds fun and healthy, I might think of that next time I go shopping.
    Officially my day off/ study time today but I have something to write this morning. I fancy a long walk later.
    Hubby’s birthday and alongside the perfume he wanted and the Japanese board game, I got him a banneton proofing basket with a sourdough starter.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Trying to eat a rainbow diet, but the fridge is looking pretty empty, so I think I will need to go out and buy something green tomorrow, and probably something purple-ish, although I think there are a few blackcurrants somewhere in the freezer

Beetroot sandwich - yum!

• Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited January 8
    Trying to eat a rainbow diet
    Just beware when you start crunching on the pot of gold at the end. Could be bad for your teeth (but at least you'll have the wherewithal to pay the dentist).

• Well, my nearest supermarket is Sainsbury's
  • I’m sure they aren’t just selling gold leaf for steaks though, it’s usually used for chocolates and cakes (I have some in my cupboard).
    Hm, I might buy some steak tomorrow and surprise my husband, lol!
  • I wasn't thinking of gold leaf, but ingots (or, at least, bullion) in a crock ...
  • That's just wishful thinking. I usually aim to eat a rainbow and am trying to up the portions of fruit and vegetables we're supposed to eat to the ten we're supposed to eat a day following the most recent advice.

Lovely day here, actual blue sky after days of grey dullness. Having got out for a walk yesterday morning, I'm planning to walk this afternoon.
  • It has been quite nice here too though it's clouded over a bit. Still much better than the dim damp dreariness of the past few days. I have washed the sheets and hung them out.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    edited January 8

GIN is better. Make a very dry Martini, and you can put an olive in for another vegetable. Many cocktail recipes can contribute to your five a day.
  • Heed the words! O how creative we all are with our fruit and vegetable intakes!

ION, a fine sunny day here, too, with a fresh nor'westerly breeze, one of the better winds, IMHO. (Easterlies/nor'easterlies always make my Ears feel too Tight, and it's not really feasible to give them a quarter-turn to loosen them up a bit).
  • I like fruit and vegetables, I've already eaten 5 portions today without trying: banana for breakfast, homemade coleslaw and veggie burger* and oven baked crispy kale (and polenta chips) followed by grapes for lunch

* Jack Monroe's kidney bean and carrot burger, which I make regularly, freezing the extras.
  • I haven’t had a veggie burger in years and quite fancy that one (I’m not veggie but was for about a decade many moons ago and still have a taste for it).
    I’ve got my presentation written and am now contemplating my second walk of the day; it’s sunny here too.
  • I finally got the spare bed, camp cot & bedding put away, and made a start on returning the various re-located bits of furniture back to their proper homes before my back seized up. Mr RoS can bring in the boxes from the garage tomorrow and I can finally take down the Christmas decorations and pack away all my nativity sets Hopefully we will have all Christmas-related items back in the loft at the weekend.
    10 portions of fruit and veg a day??? You'd be doing nothing but eat!

I like the idea of eating pretty colours though; there's a rather off-beat restaurant here that serves roasted beetroot and goat's cheese sandwiches, and they're yummy. Sadly I can't replicate them at home, as D. really doesn't like beetroot, and there wouldn't be much point in getting it just for me.

The threatened sn*w hasn't come to much yet: although it was snowing when D. went out a few hours ago, it stopped for a while, and I shovelled the end of the drive so that he could get back in more easily. What makes it such a pain is there's a sort of base of really hard-packed ice, and even a proper snow shovel is about as much use as the little spades kids use to make sand-castles.

Expecting a fairly big load tomorrow though ... :cry:

Have I mentioned that I hate snow?
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    I like my meals to be rainbow coloured too - I just thought that was a personal quirk of mine! Didn't realise it was a thing. My purple today was beetroot burgers that I got reduced in Asda. They're really nice - always on the reduced shelf, too. I think vegetarian options aren't popular where I live. I got some green and purple hot dogs reduced from M&S a while back. Today, red has been tomato, orange has been carrot, yellow has been yellow pepper, green has been sugar snap peas and broccoli, and I combine blue, indigo, violet as anything purply, which was my beetroot burgers.

Something nice I've been eating lately is cheese on toast using a variety of leftovers of nice cheeses I bought over the Christmas period.
  • The rainbow diet was a campaign for people to eat more fruit and vegetables and a variety thereof. And today I've eaten white cabbage, carrot, spinach, orange, yellow and red melon, red kidney beans (purple), apples and grapes. I often eat blueberries as my blue option (and could have put some in my daughter's pudding of pear and ginger).

One of Jack Monroe's suggestions for using up cheese after Christmas was to add mincemeat to the toasted sandwich. I did try it - nice, but very filling.
  • Productive day so far, I’ve put 3 bags of children’s clothing out for a charity collection and walked to Waitrose with my shopping trolley for the weekly shop. Now having a few moments sit down before planning another tutorial, this one an overview of health service provision (prevention, cure and care).
    While out shopping I bought several colours of veggies, kidney beans and some bean burgers for lunch; this thread exerts a powerful influence!
  • All this talk of vegetables is making me feel quite faint (and guilty....).

Chicken, bacon, and pasta bake for lunch today (it's still in the oven - I tend to rise late these days, which makes mealtimes a little eccentric).

Pineapple chunks, and natural yoghurt, to follow, though, to keep my conscience clear.

ION, the weather in SE Ukland continues fine, dry, and a little chilly, with a light nor'westerly breeze. I'm certainly not complaining, as it means less coal or wood being burnt in the Palace Stove, but it does seem very mild indeed for January.

Of course, we all know (courtesy of The Odious Orange Ozymandias across the pond) that global warming is a myth, invented by the Horrible Yellow People in China, but....

....I miss the distinctive cry of the Redshank, usually a sure sign that winter is here, but he doesn't come this far south unless he has to:
    https://rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/redshank/

• Another walker was quite certain the spitty-spottles of precipitation were snow this morning. Personally I thought it was icy rain. And that wind is not nice. The sunshine is welcome in between the clouds.

It looked as if it was going to be a glorious day, so I headed out for a walk at 7:20am, to try and get to a vantage point for photography by the advertised time of 8:03am for dawn. A much longer walk than planned before breakfast later, my wind-scoured cheeks are still glowing.
  • No winter here in Cambridge, we haven’t even had frost here.
    Work finished til Friday and I’ve caught up with a few more chores. I’m just making some spicy kale crisps from some elderly kale.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    On the multi- coloured veg theme, I had red pepper, orange carrots, yellow corn, green beans and peas with my cottage pie.
    I have no blueberries but maybe grapes and raisins for a snack later ( they may actually be in the form of Christmas Cake ) will complete the rainbow.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Christmas cake. Mmmm. I don't make one, as I would eat it all, but there was some going at work this week so I thoroughly enjoyed a slice with my coffee.

Weather news - bright and cold.
    Sausage and tomato pasta for lunch chez Piglet today, which was pretty decent, though I say it what shouldn't.

It's definitely an Indoor Day here though - although the snowfall warning is ended, we've had freezing rain, and now it seems to have gone back to snowing again. If it carries on as it's doing, we could end up with Quite A Lot. :cry:

In other news, my long-awaited pension seems to be on the move at last: it's left their account, but hasn't quite found its way into mine yet. I assume this must be because the little electronic pixies are rowing it across the Atlantic ... :mrgreen:
  • Moussaka here, so that took care of the red (tomatoes), green (spinach) and purple (aubergine). I had some kale crisps earlier too.
    There were a minimal amount of carrots in my bean burger at lunch and now I’m having a beer for the yellow contingent ;)
  • Today's rainbow: Red from strawberries, red kidney beans, red pepper & tomato, orange - carrot, yellow - not sure if the apples count, lots of green - cabbage x 2 (stuffed leaves and coleslaw), lettuce and cucumber, blue - blueberries, indigo - blackberries, violet - red grapes (all from a pot of mixed berries). Portions, 2 apples, fruit pot - nearly 3 (220g), veggie stuffed cabbage at least 2, supper's salad 1 - so 8 I guess.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Breakfast. Toast - brown. Coffee - brown.
    Lunch. Salad - multicoloured.
    Dinner. Venison - brown. Pastry - brown. Peas - green. Wine - red.

I think Brown wins.
  • No sign of winter here on the southernmost tip of the SouthEast.
    I am really wanting several days frost so my blackcurrants know we've had some winter and start preparing to supply me with fruit in the summer.

Frost wanted for killing off all these cold/flu/lurgy germs, too!
  • Yoga class this morning followed by coffee with the ladies. Today is my day off and I fancy spending the afternoon curled up with a book.
  • Go for it, Heavenlyannie! Nothing like a good book for renewing one's energy! ;)
  • What can I say? I always lose weight over Christmas and New Year. Not sure why, but I think it may have something to do with not being around to prepare meals and to eat properly and a frequent "graze" is a vegetable stir fry with a few rice noodles thrown in, or a 2 egg mushroom omelette and salad. This last Christmas the weight is down by roughly half a stone.
  • I would duck and run, TheOrganist, duck and run.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 10
    Well done, @TheOrganist , though I sympathise if you happened to miss out on some of the more toothsome festive menus/dishes.....
    :confounded:

Supper calls - Beef Consomme SOUP, crusty French bread, and some nice old Amsterdam CHEESE....

Jus the thing to enliven (!) a cold, grey, still evening, with Frost to follow.
  • That soup, bread and cheese sounds lovely.
    Falafel and houmous for lunch here, chicken burgers and salad for tea (bunless for me as I’m on a low carb diet). Followed by a G and T :)
    I’ve just got in from my evening walk and the weather is trying, unsuccessfully, to rain. It feels slightly cooler today but the BBC weather page tells me it is 6 degrees so it’s still very mild.