Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... My wedding dress was made (by my Mum) from an original 50s pattern ...
    I remember you posting the photos - you looked lovely! :)

When I saw the BBC article about the Regency bloke, I thought, well, good for him, but couldn't help being reminded of the standard photo of that creep Rees-Mogg in his top hat.

We're having a rather lethargic day today: hiding from the 30° heat in the air-conditioned château. We're going into town later to try and book our flights home (the computer in D's office is more efficient than ours) and then meeting up with some of the choir for supper, as we usually do on Thursdays in the summer when we're not rehearsing.

• Spent yesterday evening at a modern dance presentation on sexual trafficking followed by discussion (friends run the dance company). Very interesting, the focus was on consumption and the need to change attitudes towards sex tourism in Europe (stag parties, conferences, etc). Struck home to me, the girl who sat next to me at school became a prostitute age 17 and I nursed several prostitutes in Luton after attempted suicides, a heartrending job as we would arrange to discharge them to refuges but then their pimps would turn up and they would leave with them.
    Younger son has gone on a 3 day geography trip to the Eden project and a couple of Somerset examples on coastal erosion and flooding. Older son plans to disappear later today to play Dungeons and Dragons elsewhere. So I’m all alone for the day and evening. I have some reading to do and then I might do some spinning.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Wesley J wrote: »
    I am deeply impressed by Heavenlyannie's commitment to period clothing, and have just found this article from The Grauniad, entitled 'I don’t see jeans in my future’: the people who wear complete historical dress – every day'. :)

It's so heartwarming, and cool at the same time! :)

However, I do wear full flowing early 1970s Laura Ashley maxi dresses as ordinary daily wear as I collect them. If anyone goes to Greenbelt I’m very easy to spot.

I own three of those Laura Ashley dresses which I bought while at college in London in 1974/5.
    I recently wore one at a ‘70s themed party but otherwise wouldn’t dream of wearing them for normal wear. And to think I would happily travel the Underground gathering up armfuls of fabric on the stairs.
    Wouldn’t dream of parting with them though.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    Yes, those are the ones! Tonnes of fabric in the skirts, I’m only 4 foot 11 so most of mine are floor length even when I alter them. Good practice for Tudor and Victorian, mind you, because I am an expert at holding up my skirts on stairs.

Boring day today, just housework and a little crochet done.
    I followed into the Laura Ashley dress phase in the 1990s, when a branch opened in Belfast. I would look at the new season's stuff and decide what I was going to buy when the sales came on - I very rarely bought one at full price. I had several needlecord ones in various colours for winter, and pretty floral summery ones; I loved them, and they refused to wear out. Sadly, there's rather more of me than would fit into one these days ... :cry:

It's a very hot day here (34° but feeling like 39), so after the Cathedral concert (given by D. as the players we'd booked had to pull out), our main criteria for a lunch venue were (a) air-conditioning; and (b) parking - it really was too hot to contemplate being outdoors more than absolutely necessary.

We decided on the Hilltop, a bar with a very decent lunch menu, after which we decided to abandon any ideas of doing anything active!

Things are getting bad when I'm looking forward to the relative coolness of 26° we're being promised for Sunday ... :flushed:
  • I had a single Laura Ashley dress in the late 70s/early 80s, which I wore maybe twice before giving it to my next sister down, having decided that she was a better match for the English Rose shape of Laura Ashley, rather than me with rather more bust and less hip than the dress was designed for. It was about then I gave up trying to buy dresses to fit and started buying separates, as that way I could buy a size smaller bottoms than tops.

It's been really sunny here the last few days. I was shifting earth on Thursday in full sun, and decided before 11am and after 3pm was wiser.

Years ago, we agreed with the landlord we could use one of the bin stores as a bike and toy shed. It was useless as a bin store as the path to the road was too narrow for the bins. It was well used for a few years, then got broken into and a lot of the better bikes stolen, including mine.

Roll on ten years later, we have a new tenant leaving her bike out in one of the car parks and it getting damaged, a much bigger tree hiding the bin store and an overgrown area, inches deep in leaf mould. Gradually over the last few weeks, we, but mainly me, have climbed in and have been clearing it out, chopping down the ivy, brambles and baby trees growing in there. I did still have a couple of keys for the padlock and got that off, and working again.

Yesterday was the removal of the leaf mould, which I used to sort out another little mess, filling in where a tree came down after cutting back the thistle patch which had established itself instead. The new tenant's bike has been safely locked away in there for a while, and she has one of my keys for the padlock.
    Impressive stuff, CK! <notworthy>
  • Well done
  • A big pat on the back for all your hard work!
  • Firenze wrote: »
    It’s an unstaffed property - and a small one (half an hour’s worth say) - so there’s no one on hand to check your membership (there’s probably an honesty box somewhere if you feel really guilt-ridden).

Otoh, if you have only a couple of days there’s doubtless a stack of other stuff to do.

The website says £3 to get in... Some friends now live in Colinton, so next time we are there it looks like a place that Herself will enjoy. I do not much care for formal gardens - I prefer the open country a few miles more out on the Lang Whang, where we briefly lived numerous decades ago.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    I mentioned elsewhere that we should (GW) be moving again but today I went to the Cardiff Food Market at Cardiff Bay. Plenty of interest but I am desperately disappointed at cheese stalls which seem to deal in various mini-truckles of Cheddar, ignoring the other two hundred varieties of British cheese.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Good work Ck!
    sionisais wrote: »
    ... I am desperately disappointed at cheese stalls which seem to deal in various mini-truckles of Cheddar, ignoring the other two hundred varieties of British cheese.
    That's a shame - you might as well go to Sainsbury's for that!

There's a lovely cheese shop at the farmers' market here, where I could spend a fortune if I had one.
    It's been a horribly hot, humid day here: it was 30° but feeling like 39 this afternoon, and even with both heat-exchangers and ceiling fans going it still felt warm in the house. However, the skies started darkening at about 4 o'clock, bringing a fairly respectable thundershower with a few flashes off lightning, and that seems to have cooled things a bit - Deo gratias!

As a result, I've done very little today except turn a chicken carcase into stock for freezing; some of it may go into SOUP at the beginning of the week if the weather doesn't get too hot again.
  • Damp, drizzly morning here in Meridian Cliffs. I am loving it!
  • Yes, damp & drizzly here. Just the right weather for going to Church!
    :wink:
  • Apropos of nothing ... we have just returned from a marvellous holiday in Jersey (we'd not been there before, though we were in Guernsey 20 years ago). Almost unbroken sunshine, no rain, glorious beaches and coves, splendid hotel ... and the sun is still out so I can do the washing!
  • Welcome back. I had noted your absence and was hoping that it meant you were enjoying a well-deserved holiday. I loved Jersey when I went a few years (decades) back.
  • Did you go to the Zoo in Jersey? Having read all of Gerald Durrell's books, it was a must-see when I was there 30 years ago.
  • In fact we didn't (though we passed it several times) - something for a future visit, perhaps.
    It's a glorious day here: sunny, 21° and a wee bit of a breeze. Having said that, it was bl**dy hot in church this morning. The west doors were open during the procession and we got a lovely little waft of air as we passed, and then some blithering idiot (quite unnecessarily) closed them once the service started.

May whoever it was roast - we had to! :rage:
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    [...] May whoever it was roast - we had to! :rage:
    You oughta have sung this Lutheran hymn, and very loudly, with booming organ!

Sorry to hear about the bl**dy hot flushes! :(

• Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Did you go to the Zoo in Jersey? Having read all of Gerald Durrell's books, it was a must-see when I was there 30 years ago.
    I read all his books as a child and so wanted to visit his zoo, I must put a trip to Jersey on my to do list.
    Went to a party last night and have been knackered all day, I seldom go to parties and it has exhausted me.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    We went to Nottingham for the night on Saturday to catch up with some old friends. Friend whose house we met in has a pizza oven in his garden, so I'm still feeling a little overstuffed from all the fantastic food.
    Today I'm continuing clearing my mums flat (she's moved into a home). Very odd thing to be doing, but I'm trying not to get too sentimental over anything. The cereal bowl I remember from my childhood is going home with me though.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Did you go to the Zoo in Jersey? Having read all of Gerald Durrell's books, it was a must-see when I was there 30 years ago.
    I read all his books as a child and so wanted to visit his zoo, I must put a trip to Jersey on my to do list.
    Went to a party last night and have been knackered all day, I seldom go to parties and it has exhausted me.
    We were in Jersey about five years ago and went to the zoo, which was lovely. But they don't call it a zoo anymore. Though I forget what they do call it....
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    Actually, they do call it Jersey Zoo, although "officially" I think it's the Durrell Conservation Trust.

When our plane landed, the Red Arrows, Lancaster and two Typhoons were ready to take off. We all stood at the foot of the aircraft steps (even the baggage handlers) and watched them go (except for the Lanc.)!
  • Don't they? The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust site definitely refers to Jersey Zoo. I loved it when I went a few years back.
  • I believe the Jersey Zoo is owned and operated by The Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, formerly known as Wildlife Preservation Trust International (and, IIRC, the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust before that).

Whatever it's called, it was the first zoo whose purpose was to save and breed endangered species -- a major goal for many zoos today (including, I'm proud to say, the Phoenix Zoo).
    Another hot day here: 27°, but at only 29% humidity, not too uncomfortable.

We've (finally!) got our flights booked to Scotland for my niece's wedding in August, and a place to stay the night before and after. Now just need to sort out a hire car (we've got a friend who works for Enterprise and can get us a good deal), and book the ferry to Orkney for a few days the week before the wedding.

I'm getting really quite excited - we haven't been away since my dad's funeral 18 months ago, so I think we're overdue a wee break!
    It's really been quite a productive day: as well as getting our flights sorted, sheets hade been laundered, and SOUP has been made for tomorrow's lunch.
  • Oh, Piglet! Oh, Orkney! I shall raise a glass of Highland Park and think of "my" border collie, Bobby.

Have a wonderful time at the wedding.
    Thanks, PG! The wedding is actually in the Borders, but we couldn't really go over without trying to get up north.

It'll be the first time we've been to Orkney without a real "family" reason, and it will feel a bit strange, but it might be fun to pretend we're proper tourists, and do some of the things we've never had time for before.

I hope I'll get the chance to catch up with a few old school friends as well - I usually send a few Facebook messages before I go and we end up having a very protracted chat!
  • So, imagine you are at work one Wednesday afternoon and one of your colleagues arrives with a box of those ice-pop in a tube things as a treat for the team. Thank you P, very kind of you. How do you eat said frozen treat without (a) getting drips all over your desk and (b) making a load of undignified sucking slurping noises that you’re convinced can be heard all over the office?

Asking for a friend :wink:

Meanwhile the house move is getting to the critical stage, where almost everything is boxed up including the crockery and the rest. The furniture has started to be taken apart. Captain Pyjamas is deeply frustrated because it’s all so interesting and he’s not allowed to touch any of it. (Also did I mention that Captain P has started walking and is on his way to becoming the peril of the High Seas?) More annoyingly, our stupid internet / phone provider has transferred our contract to the new place too early and now we have no landline phone or home internet :angry:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    Just go ahead, and make lovely slurping noises. If anyone else doesn't like them, that's their problem. Enjoy the ice-pop thingy!
    :wink:

(BTW - making slurping noises at the gallant Captain might distract him from the packing etc., and concentrate his mind on The Storm At Sea, and the possible effect thereof on his Vessel and Crew. Do I take it that the Young Master is displaying both Imagination, and Enterprise?).
  • Well done Captain Pyjamas! The world is now his oyster.

I'd second what BF said - slurp away.
  • Much excitement last night.

The son of the owner of our current building has an apartment on the courtyard side and has periodically been making the neighbours’ lives a misery for the past year or so with loud partying until 5 a.m. and other similar anti-social behaviour. He is a spoiled little rich kid who’s never been told no in his life and when he disturbs the whole building Daddy tells him off for being a naughty boy but doesn’t do anything to actually make him behave.

Last night he had been drinking (and IMO probably taking banned substances as well) and took to yelling, smashing windows and throwing projectiles into the courtyard, including glass bottles. We called the police. Who turned up for once (when you phone to complain about noise, they never do anything) and, to our immense schadenfreude-laden satisfaction, carted the little ****** off for a night in the cells. Serves him right.

We are glad to be moving out.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Sounds like a wise move on various fronts LVER. I wonder if daddy will be forced to re-consider where his son lives after that escapade. Hope the move goes smoothly when it happens. Are you sending Captain P to play with friends? Our son was six when we did out first move and we got friends to take him out so that when he got to the new place all of a couple of hundred yards away, his bedroom was all set up with his things.
  • Nice one, LVER. I hope the police were not too gentle...

I once saw some policemen in action in Brussels (dealing with an argument at a café, which became rather heated - the argument, that is).

The officers who turned up (with all the bells and whistles one could wish for) did not go gently into that good fight...
  • Thanks for that BF.

Years ago we had a local sergeant who looked like the Incredible Hulk but had the manner of a superior butler. His invariable approach to what over- indulgent parents called high spirits was to point out to them that if they failed to apply adequate and suitable guidance in childhood then the law would impose it to the detriment of the parental bank balance and family reputation in years to come.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Much excitement last night.

The son of the owner of our current building has an apartment on the courtyard side and has periodically been making the neighbours’ lives a misery for the past year or so with loud partying until 5 a.m. and other similar anti-social behaviour. He is a spoiled little rich kid who’s never been told no in his life and when he disturbs the whole building Daddy tells him off for being a naughty boy but doesn’t do anything to actually make him behave.

Last night he had been drinking (and IMO probably taking banned substances as well) and took to yelling, smashing windows and throwing projectiles into the courtyard, including glass bottles. We called the police. Who turned up for once (when you phone to complain about noise, they never do anything) and, to our immense schadenfreude-laden satisfaction, carted the little ****** off for a night in the cells. Serves him right.

We are glad to be moving out.

I understand you have connections with the South-West of France, where rugby is the game. Could one or two from that part of the world pay a visit? From what I have seen of French rugby it is some of the hardest in the world; like small town South African rugby.

I'm not advocating violence, but a couple of players could Have A Quiet Word, which would probably do enough.
    You're definitely better out of that flat, La Vie.

And go Captain Pyjamas! :smiley:

We're out of town for the Diocesan Choir School, but in a v. nice hotel, where we haven't sussed out how to work the coffee maker. It's one of those Keurig thingies with little pods, and when D. tried to make tea in it, it came out stone cold. :confounded:

Must go now - ridiculously early start in the morning.
  • ThomasinaThomasina Shipmate
    Ah, Captain Pyjamas! There are so many exciting things for you to explore now! I'm sure it won't be long before you learn to climb onto things to get higher up! You sound wonderful!
    And good luck with the move, LVR!
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    Years ago we had a local sergeant who looked like the Incredible Hulk but had the manner of a superior butler. His invariable approach to what over- indulgent parents called high spirits was to point out to them that if they failed to apply adequate and suitable guidance in childhood then the law would impose it to the detriment of the parental bank balance and family reputation in years to come.

Reminds me somewhat tangentially of a former rector of mine who, on being cut up while driving, responded "Some day I hope to have the pleasure of marrying your parents."

• Our erstwhile Fr F***wit, to his credit, would respond to ill-mannered or aggressive drivers by simply blessing them with the sign of the cross...
    :grin:

@la vie en rouge, I do hope you are about to present Captain Pyjamas with his first Model Train Set. Yes, I know he's a tad young for anything too elaborate (such as live steam), but get him started now, and it will be a fascinating hobby for him life-long.

I am not being entirely facetious here, but speak of What I Know! Alas, my original Hornby clockwork trains were disposed of many aeons ago, but Old Age (assisted by eBay) has its compensations...
  • Yes, I know he's a tad young for anything too elaborate (such as live steam),
    A "Piddler" won't do, then ... https://tinyurl.com/y4rnaq3s ... but more appropriate versions are available.

• Piglet wrote: »
    You're definitely better out of that flat, La Vie.

And go Captain Pyjamas! :smiley:

We're out of town for the Diocesan Choir School, but in a v. nice hotel, where we haven't sussed out how to work the coffee maker. It's one of those Keurig thingies with little pods, and when D. tried to make tea in it, it came out stone cold. :confounded:

Must go now - ridiculously early start in the morning.

Plug it in....
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It's one of those Keurig thingies with little pods, and when D. tried to make tea in it, it came out stone cold. :confounded:
    It's probably Called The Union and gone on strike. Tea, indeed!

• Yes, I know he's a tad young for anything too elaborate (such as live steam),
    A "Piddler" won't do, then ... https://tinyurl.com/y4rnaq3s ... but more appropriate versions are available.

Indeed - and didn't the Captain's maman mention a Balcony at the new apartment? Just right for some 'temporary' track...
    :grin:

• DardaDarda Shipmate
    Yes, I know he's a tad young for anything too elaborate (such as live steam),

I remember an engineer friend built a more modern version of a "Piddler" some years ago, but the kit was sold under the more polite name of "Carpet Dribbler".
  • Re: Keurig...

The inventor has said publicly that he regrets having done so, because of the ecological impact of waste pods (or whatever they're called). He was quoted on CBC R1's Under The Influence programme episode that focussed on people who regretted the things that they had developed. Interestingly, the Wright brother who lived longer was horrified by the military use of the airplane.
  • I’m 50 today and we’re just having breakfast before popping off to London for a bit of exploring old haunts and afternoon tea somewhere nice.
This discussion has been closed.