Gadgets For God pages, and reported sightings?

Hi. Did the Gadgets For God pages sail off on their own when we transferred here? And the Styx list for that sort of thing?

I haven't found either on this Ship, and I'm finding some good stuff!

Apologies if I missed them somewhere.

Meanwhile, a current sample:

"Jesus Is The Light" glow-in-the dark Easter eggs (Oriental Trading Company).

"The Resurrection Shaped Me" putty-filled eggs (Oriental Trading Company).

Thx.

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse 8th Day Host, Hell Host
    Bad taste is timeless!
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited February 2019
    The Resurrection Shaped Me product's description forms an 'interesting' link...
    Instead of candy, these eggs are filled with rainbow-colored putty that little ones can shape as Jesus' resurrection shaped so many people's lives.

Thanks GK!
  • Easter. A great time for all sorts of egg-centricity.
  • (groan) (eyeroll)
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    edited October 2019
    Perhaps an item for Gadgets for God? From the Independent:
    Jesus Shoes containing holy water selling for £3,000

ETA: I suppose Gadgets for God has been rebranded 'Junk for Jehovah', is that correct?
  • I think it sort of died a death because it was becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between what was genuinely tacky & bad taste or deliberately ironic.
  • This is kind of cool, because of a special feature:

Plantable Cross Mini Slot Card Favors (Botanical Paperworks).

BP makes all sorts of seed-paper items. Here's the description for the cross cards:

These lovely cross favors are a beautiful and symbolic gift to give your guests in celebration at a christening, baptism, Holy Communion or perhaps even a baby shower. The plantable cross shape is infused with wildflower seeds and the quote "Faith plants the seed. Love makes it grow." is featured on the front. You can customize both the front and back with a name, date and message and even change the quote if you like!

I occasionally give seed-paper items, and they've been well-received. Lots of companies online.
  • What a super idea!
    Do you tear it into wee bits or thin the seedlings out when they begin to germinate?
  • I haven't tried them yet, 'cause I don't have outdoor space, and I'm not sure I want wildflowers growing indoors. (Hayfever; mostly in remission, but not sure if it would be triggered.) Though I see that some items have herb or vegetable seeds.

However, here's the company's "How Plantable Paper Works" page. The instructions are about 1/2 way down the page. They're for planting in a pot. But some people plant them in their outdoor gardening; or even sprinkle some in abandoned/derelict places to do a little "guerrilla gardening", restore habitat, etc.

From what I've seen elsewhere, some people do tear the card into pieces and spread them out, so as to give all the seedlings their best start. (Not necessarily pieces as small as just one seed, though.) There are pics of the plants down that page.

NOTE: IANAL; but AIUI guerrilla gardening is illegal in most places. I am not encouraging illegal activity--just providing info about the ways seed paper is used.

Anyway, BP can even use seed paper for personalized wedding invitations, memorials, etc., and even for business promotions.

(And no, I have no connection with BP. Just came across this as I was shopping for seed paper cards.)
  • Galilit--

Given that you're outside the US and the seeds are geared for US wildflowers, you might want to look for a company where you are, or that at least has seeds for wildflowers that occur naturally where you are. Otherwise, they could eventually redistribute themselves into the local environment, and possibly cause difficulties for the local plants.

Also check the regulations for importing plant material.

FWIW, YMMV.
  • A search for ‘seed paper gift uk’ shows several options here, though I’m guessing a cross might need some searching for. UK sellers on Etsy might be an option.
  • A friend of mine has been seen wearing this. Should've waited till March 25th, but still: https://benwildflower.com/products/magnificat-t-shirt
  • A friend of mine has been seen wearing this. Should've waited till March 25th, but still . . . .
    Or appropriate for Evening Prayer any day.

It has sort of a Virginian “Sic Semper Tyrannus” look about it.

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been seen wearing this. Should've waited till March 25th, but still . . . .
    Hadn't thought of that. Sadly they don't do a "Nunc Dimittis" one although that would require a quick change during the service (or layers!)

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been seen wearing this. Should've waited till March 25th, but still . . . .
    Hadn't thought of that. Sadly they don't do a "Nunc Dimittis" one although that would require a quick change during the service (or layers!)
    Only for the Anglicans, I think. For most if not all the rest with Western (not Orthodox) daily prayer liturgies, the Nunc Dimittis is for Night Prayer/Compline, not Evening Prayer.

• RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Folks, you can continue this on the garden thread in Heaven or in Ecclesiantics.

Thanks,
    Ruth, Styx host
  • Sorry, Ruth.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    No worries! (And I was a little tickled that it could go either way.)
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Apropos hand-washing for the pandemic:

Black & White 'Jesus and Germs' Hanging Canvas (Zulily).
    Wash your hands, say your prayers because Jesus and germs are everywhere.

• tclunetclune Shipmate
    A real treasure-trove of Godly fleece is catalogued here.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Apropos hand-washing for the pandemic:

Black & White 'Jesus and Germs' Hanging Canvas (Zulily).
    Wash your hands, say your prayers because Jesus and germs are everywhere.
    The restroom in our vesting area at church has a bottle of liquid hand soap with that saying on it.
    :smile: