Here is a Palm Sunday Idea

Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
edited April 10 in Ecclesiantics
Matthew has Jesus entry into Jerusalem and the people spreading palms in front of him.
Luke has Jesus entry into Jerusalem with the people spreading their cloaks on the ground.

It might be too late to do this on Sunday, but the next time Luke rolls around in the RCL, have the congregants bring in gently used coats to spread down the aisle or at least put at the end of the pews (chairs). Then, collect the coats after the service and donate them to a local shelter.

This would be more in keeping with what Luke reports.

Comments

• Very scriptural, and not at all to be sneezed at.

There is a rather fine Swedish hymn that mentions the strewing of clothes, though it's being used here in the context of a Sunday Advent Eucharist:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ACF2Ua5wkh8

Verse 2 'Stro palmer, bred ut kleder'.....

BUT please make sure the used coats are CLEAN (or CLEANED) before donating them onwards.....
    :wink:
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Very scriptural, and not at all to be sneezed at.

There is a rather fine Swedish hymn that mentions the strewing of clothes, though it's being used here in the context of a Sunday Advent Eucharist:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ACF2Ua5wkh8

Verse 2 'Stro palmer, bred ut kleder'.....

BUT please make sure the used coats are CLEAN (or CLEANED) before donating them onwards.....
    :wink:

Good point. I guess you can do it later in the year, but in Sweden Advent would be kind of late to collect coats. Maybe by first of October at the latest--just saying
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I mentioned this to my Rector, who liked the idea. Maybe next year...
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 11
    The hymn I mentioned - 103 in the Church of Sweden's hymnbook - seems to do double duty for both Palm Sunday and Advent.

English linky:
    https://hymnary.org/text/prepare_the_royal_highway

It's in The Lutheran Book Of Worship 1978, but I don't think it's in any mainstream Anglican hymnbooks.

• Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited April 11
    I intend to introduce this little ditty as our "children's" song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jtDqKkdS1M
  • Nice one, Pastor!

It reminds me vaguely of a somewhat earlier Palm Sunday Im for Kidz - 'The morning breezes softly blow o'er Olivet so fair' -which we sang at the Church of my Yoof. I think the Im comes from America.....

Here's the tune - I haven't been able to locate the words, but IIRC the chorus included lots of Hosannas!
    :smile:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ZVhJk_pyaI
  • The hymn I mentioned - 103 in the Church of Sweden's hymnbook - seems to do double duty for both Palm Sunday and Advent.

English linky:

It's in The Lutheran Book Of Worship 1978, but I don't think it's in any mainstream Anglican hymnbooks.

It is included in our much-maligned Australian hymnal Together in Song as hymn number 346
  • O well done, Oz!
    :grin:
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    The hymn I mentioned - 103 in the Church of Sweden's hymnbook - seems to do double duty for both Palm Sunday and Advent.

English linky:

Yes, some verses are more “Adventy” and some are more “Palmy.” We have the Advent verses in our (PC(USA)) hymnal as Prepare the Way, O Zion. (Other than the first line, the words are pretty much as what you linked to, absent the second verse.)

This Sunday, we will be singing two of the Palmy verses, in a version that includes Hosannas in the retrain, as Prepare the Royal Highway, with words printed in the bulletin.

I see it is in our Evangelical Lutheran Worship (ELCA), and the Lutheran Worship as well (LCMS).
  • Well, 10 out of 10 to the Lutherans!

I'll see if I can download the music, and an English translation, (legally, of course), to add to the growing number of extra hymns/songs for occasional use at Our Place. I've come across several hymns of Swedish origin that may well be useful additions to our Anglican repertoire.

My fellow Lay Reader is in charge of this project, printing out the various items on nicely-laminated cards, Congregation for the Use of, and he is most careful to observe copyrights, etc,.
    I'll see if I can download the music, and an English translation, (legally, of course), to add to the growing number of extra hymns/songs for occasional use at Our Place. I've come across several hymns of Swedish origin that may well be useful additions to our Anglican repertoire.
    That shouldn’t be too hard to find. And it is a fun tune to sing.

• Indeed. Thanks!
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    Not to be a party-pooper, but the OP presupposes that a significant proportion of the congregation has old coats to spare ... That seems a questionable assumption to me.
    edited April 13
    Ricardus wrote: »
    Not to be a party-pooper, but the OP presupposes that a significant proportion of the congregation has old coats to spare ... That seems a questionable assumption to me.
    Well, I applaud the idea and like the symbolism intended. But I’ll admit to being a bit of a party-pooper too, in that the timing seems off, at least in my part of the world, where Palm Sunday comes at the time of year when coats will likely not be needed for another 8 or so months. (Which is why large-scale coat collections happen here around prior to Christmas.)

Maybe the answer lies in expanding “cloaks” to “garments,” which is what liturgies often seem to refer to. That way, the congregation isn’t limited to coats.
    Ricardus wrote: »

I am not suggesting everyone has to participate. Those who do not have clothing to spare, probably should not. But as pointed out above, it can expand to other garments.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    <snip> I’ll admit to being a bit of a party-pooper too, in that the timing seems off, at least in my part of the world, where Palm Sunday comes at the time of year when coats will likely not be needed for another 8 or so months. (Which is why large-scale coat collections happen here around prior to Christmas.) <snip>
    Ah, but in The Hemispere That God Loves™ ... :wink:

Zappa wrote: »
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    <snip> I’ll admit to being a bit of a party-pooper too, in that the timing seems off, at least in my part of the world, where Palm Sunday comes at the time of year when coats will likely not be needed for another 8 or so months. (Which is why large-scale coat collections happen here around prior to Christmas.) <snip>
    Ah, but in The Hemispere That God Loves™ ... :wink:
    Which is precisely why I said “at least in my part of the world.” I’m well aware that some of y’all have it backwards. :wink: