Notre Dame de Paris - Resurgam!

A Feminine ForceA Feminine Force Shipmate
edited April 17 in All Saints
I don't know where to put this thread, but the cathedral is on fire, they cant stop it, and it feels like the end of the world.

I am literally hyperventilating. I can't believe that Paris firefighters didn't have a plan for an edifice as important as this.

Jesus be a thunderstorm. Please.

AFF

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    :cry:
  • Well it says something about the Ship as a news source that I first heard of this here...
  • End of the world is right. How does Notre Dame burn down? I can't quite get my head round it. :cry:
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited April 15
    My tears are as useless as the courageous pompiers hoses. Spent a week across the river from her 2 years ago.
  • Never have been to Paris, yet this still breaks my heart.
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    Really sad to see this. Saw it on my fb feed. Too early to say what was the cause, but guesses are centring on the renovations currently being undertaken. Thinking not only of this amazing building, but of the incredible instrument, the organ, inside. Hopefully no-one is hurt and the fire-fighters will be safe as well. The blaze is super intense.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited April 15
    I visited over 20 years ago...a wonderful, sacred place.
    Beautiful. 😥

As we're down here, I see Tr*mp has given his advice in the form of using water bombers...good to know he's an expert in fighting fires too.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    This photo is utterly heartbreaking. :cry:
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Yea, I'm not sure why this here either. I'll try and get someone to shuffle this to ... All Saints'?

DT
    HH
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    Yea, I'm not sure why this here either. I'll try and get someone to shuffle this to ... All Saints'?

DT
    HH

Well I'm mad as hell that there is literally no plan for this.

I looked at All Saints rules and it didn't feel right there either.

But thanks for parking this properly.

AFF
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    It's horrible. The spire has fallen.
  • A Feminine ForceA Feminine Force Shipmate
    edited April 15
    The entire roof is gone and it's spreading up the bell towers. It took two hundred years to build and a few hours to collapse.

We will probably never see it restored in this incarnation.

AFF
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    And now there seems to be fire in the north tower.

Just heartbreaking.
  • Martin54 wrote: »
    My tears are as useless as the courageous pompiers hoses. Spent a week across the river from her 2 years ago.

My favorite hotel is right on the corner of the Rue St Jacques and the Quai St Michel - the Hotel le Notre Dame.

First footage was shot from the main room of the hotel.

What used to be a million dollar view ...

AUGH!

AFF
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    So very sad, Just so sad. Horrific photos on line this morning.
    edited April 15
    I am watching it live streaming ... why do I feel like my heart is being immolated with it?

La Coeur de la France est en brule. Kilometre Zero n'est plus.

AFF

• I'm not in the mood for blaming the fire brigade who are currently risking their lives trying to put the fucker out. I don't think you can anticipate a thing like this - it's one of those "black swan" events (something no one had even imagined happening... until it did). Cathedrals don't burn down in peacetime. They just don't.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Very sad. Although I've never been there, I've been associated with one cathedral or another for the last 40-something years, and my heart breaks for the people of Paris, the cathedral staff and congregation. :cry:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 15
    Sad, indeed, and <votives galore> for the staff, congregation, and (of course), the firefighters.

But.....I can't help hoping that France will rise to the occasion, and make sure (secular State though it be) that the Cathedral will be rebuilt.

What a wonderful witness to the Resurrection that would will be, in the sense that the Resurrection is a triumph over (apparent) death!
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Never have been to Paris, yet this still breaks my heart.

We must all go specially if we can. As an act of solidarity. Charlie Hebdo and Bataclan didn't put us off, on the contrary.

New York isn't diminished. Cities that have suffered, that have scars aren't diminished. On the contrary. They wear purple hearts. Look at London. Blitzed. A phoenix.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    Gut-wrenching. Ironically a metaphor for much that I have been saying in preaching and writing in recent months, about infrastructure and collapse and gospel, but always the gutwrench is first. So so sad. :cry:
    Yes Zappa. I heard about it when I woke early this morning and it was like a kick in the guts. I wrote earlier, but still feel like that.
  • BabyWombatBabyWombat Shipmate
    I weep for the people of France, and I weep for the bells, so recently cast, so recently chrismated and hung, in danger of falling into the inferno. I know that all things in the created order needs must pass away, but dammit, I'm heartbroken by this.
  • As a tiny sliver of good news, it appears that the relics, treasures and the artworks were removed in time.

AFF
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    As a tiny sliver of good news, it appears that the relics, treasures and the artworks were removed in time.
    Wow!

• I haven't read any confirmation of that here as yet, @AFF.

It's certainly hard to imagine Paris with a big smoking hole where such an immutable-looking building has stood for 800 years.

I'm not quite sure yet about just what effect this will have on our national psyche. @Zappa is right. Gutwrench first, analysis later.
    edited April 15
    Eutychus wrote: »
    I haven't read any confirmation of that here as yet, @AFF.

It's certainly hard to imagine Paris with a big smoking hole where such an immutable-looking building has stood for 800 years.

I'm not quite sure yet about just what effect this will have on our national psyche. @Zappa is right. Gutwrench first, analysis later.

https://www.rt.com/news/456622-notre-dame-cross-crown-relics/

I weep for the destruction of the glass.

AFF
  • The glass and the beautiful Cavaille-Coll organ. Who knows if and when we will ever hear it again.
  • I hope that all the other cathedrals and their municipalities are looking at this and thinking of installing, updating, hi-teching their fire response.

There's a certain chapel painted by Michelangelo that would benefit from some 21st century tech upgrade in the fire prevention department if it hasn't already.

AFF

• Speechless. Horrified. Saddened. Prayers.
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    This is heartbreaking. A loss for the whole world.

Thoughts and prayers with the people of Paris and of France.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Some hope - I have just seen a headline that while the spire and roof are destroyed, the main structure has been saved.
    And reports also that much was saved from inside. I guess it will be quite a while before things are sorted as to loss, saved and possible reconstruction. I was so sad when I read the reports.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Those of us in my little corner of the world are heartbroken for the people of Paris, and all of France, and I pray especially of our Shipmates there. And for all of us. Notre Dame is a fixed constant in our minds; how is it possible that it would catch fire during Holy Week?

Daughter-Unit was just there in December. I'm so glad she made it. She had been wanting to go to Paris for so many years, and she loved the cathedral.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I hope that all the other cathedrals and their municipalities are looking at this and thinking of installing, updating, hi-teching their fire response.

There's a certain chapel painted by Michelangelo that would benefit from some 21st century tech upgrade in the fire prevention department if it hasn't already.

AFF

The Episcopal Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York (which had a very serious fire a number of years ago), had a fire in the basement Palm Sunday morning. Luckily the fire was contained there, and services were held outside.

And I do agree with you about that "certain chapel" with the rather impressive ceiling.

• EvangelineEvangeline Shipmate
    Thankfully it appears that despite catastrophic damage to the roof and the loss of the spire, the main part of the building is intact. Alleluia (OK I know we're in Lent but just for this).
  • OK we are boking for Paris for next week and we will be there for whatever service they want to put on in the courtyard.

AFF
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    (votive)
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    I don't even know how to feel. I've never been there, but it is so beautiful, and it has meant to much to so many for so long. The heart of a city, and of so many people. May God bring peace to all our hearts.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    From Barack Obama:

Notre Dame is one of the world’s great treasures, and we’re thinking of the people of France in your time of grief. It’s in our nature to mourn when we see history lost – but it’s also in our nature to rebuild for tomorrow, as strong as we can.

• I have seen it just once, from a plane. From the sky it was a tiny jewel. That's how I shall remember it until it rises again.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »
    From Barack Obama:

Notre Dame is one of the world’s great treasures, and we’re thinking of the people of France in your time of grief. It’s in our nature to mourn when we see history lost – but it’s also in our nature to rebuild for tomorrow, as strong as we can.

Maybe someday we will again have a president as statesmanlike as Barack Obama.
  • The Cathedral has seen bad periods before, during the Wars of Religion and the Revolution. It will rise up again.

Notre-Dame and its surrounding parishes sent the bulk of the Filles du Roi (Kings Daughters). It is in multiple ways the Mother Church of Quebec.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited April 16
    mousethief wrote: »
    From Barack Obama:

Maybe someday we will again have a president as statesmanlike as Barack Obama.

Yes - I'd thought of adding a comment about Trump, but concluded that everyone would know he'd be incapable of rising to the moment as Obama did.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Really sad - must be simply crushing for Parisians and the French.
    Pray none of the fire-fighters are injured.
    It's one of those places that is central to everyone's sense of identity and theology of place (whatever their religion or observance).

It reminds me of a story my maternal Grandmother used to tell me when I was a girl. That during WWII she would think "as long as St Paul's Cathedral is standing there is hope for Britain". So every day from New Zealand she would pray that in the [British] night St Paul's would not be bombed"

[Background:She was born in England and lived there till she was 29 then sailed to Aotearoa-New Zealand to marry my WWI ANZAC Grandfather and farm]
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    So shocked to wake up to this news. Heartbreaking.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Thinking of all my old school French teachers ... who had all been there. Which was a HUGE thing for us teenage kiwi's in the days of books in libraries, maximum postcards and television so very new.
  • The fire is out.

It’s strange to say, but mostly I’m quite grateful it wasn’t worse. The main structure is still standing, and AFAIK only one person has been hurt (a firefighter who’s expected to recover).
  • TBTG that it wasn't worse, indeed. <votive> for the injured firefighter.

There was a fear, AIUI, that one of the towers might fall. I see that both are still standing, but does anyone know what happened to the splendid new bells?

Not, of course, that that's exactly the most important thing for TPTB to worry about....
    From Barack Obama:

Trust Obama to be positive, even in such a dire situation!
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I believe the bells and towers are being assessed for damage. The organ is unburned but possibly affected by the amount of water used. Apparently there was a crisis simulation last year which meant that there was a plan in place, leading to the rescue of many artefacts. It is heartbreaking, but it could have been much, much worse.