Really?

Comments

• mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Is this news?
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    edited April 17
    Jesus is charged before the High Priest with being the Messiah (Matt 26: 63; Mark 14: 61; Luke 22: 67). John says that He is questioned about His teaching (John 18: 19).

But He is charged before Pilate as being King of the Jews (Matt 27:11; Mark 15: 26; Luke 23: 3; John 18:33). Luke adds perverting the nation and forbidding taxes to be paid to the emperor (Luke 23: 2). John says that the crowds prevent Pilate from releasing Jesus by saying that, 'If you release this man you are no friend of the emperor. Everyone who claims to be king sets himself against the emperor' (Luke 23: 2).

Jesus is executed under a sign saying 'King of the Jews' (Mark 15: 26; Matt 27: 28-30; John 19: 2-3). So the charge was probably subversion.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Pilate, Rome, found Him innocent. I love Patheos, but that article is... second rate.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    edited April 18
    Richard Rohr is first rate. He writes in his Daily Meditation that, 'Mark tells us that Jesus was crucified between two bandits, a word commonly used for guerilla fighters against Rome. Their presence in the story reminds us that crucifixion was used specifically for people who systematically refused to accept Roman Imperial authority. Ordinary criminals were not crucified. Jesus is executed as a rebel against Rome between two other rebels against Rome.'

When Paul is in Corinth his opponents brought him for judgement before the Roman Proconsul Gallio on a charge of worshipping God contrary to the law. However, Gallio refused point blank to listen, 'Since it is a dispute about words and names and your own law, settle it yourselves. I refuse to be a judge of such things' (Acts 18: 15). Pilate tried to do the same thing in the case of Jesus, 'Take Him yourselves and judge Him according to your law' (John 18: 31). You get the impression from the NT that the Roman authorities got fed up of constantly being asked to judge cases of religious law.
    Yeah, Rohr is otherwise great. This sadly undermines his intellectual credibility.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    edited April 19
    He is pretty great today as well in discussing the meaning of Jesus' death: 'Mark's story of Jesus' final week is a sequence of public demonstrations against the dominion system' - the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem, the cleansing of the Temple, the popular teaching of the crowds and the disputes with the scribes. 'Jesus was guilty of non violent resistance to local Roman oppression and local Jewish collaboration. This is what killed Him.'
    Caesar didn't see Him resisting anything. Rohr is projecting back down the telescope with a right-on eye.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    None of this is particularly new, it wasn't new either when Borg and Crossan wrote The Last Week in 2008, summarising all the research into accessible form - with references to the original research.
  • HarryotomHarryotom Shipmate
    "None of this is particularly new, it wasn't new either when Borg and Crossan wrote The Last Week in 2008, summarising all the research into accessible form - with references to the original research."

I think I need to read back on that again. Thanks for reminding me.
  • HarryotomHarryotom Shipmate
    By the way, just in case anyone's interested. My cousin George has a dog gate for sale. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Harryotom, this board is for the discussion of Biblep-related topics. I don't see how this fits in with the remit of Keryg.

Moo, Kerygmania host
    It's no good, it's too cryptic even for me.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    :lol:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I was thinking it was an allusion to some esoteric area of study.