Chasing the black dog

1242526272830»

Comments

• Wonderful news, Simon Toad!
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Thanks all. Still pretty chuffed. :smile:
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    PDR wrote: »
    On the whole, I would have to say this weak as been a bit of a b*st*rd so far. The missus has had a relapse, but nowhere near as awful as some of the previous trips around this particular mulberry bush, but nonetheless a relapse. Unfortunately, bad news has a tendency to 'pile-on' and I have discovered that a good friend of mine has cancer. Needless to say, there was a certain amount of private eye leakage this afternoon, and I am in one of those moods where I am inclined to regard any light at the other end of the tunnel as being in all likelihood a train coming the opposite direction, but at least there is no dog on the hearth rug so far. The cold bright weather, and the fact it is Lent, is helping with that.

It was odd to look at the date on this post, and realize that I wrote it 3 months ago.

The good news is that Moddey Dhoo is in his passageway at the moment and showing no immediate sign of reemerging. My good friend is responding well to treatment, and although it is basically a exercise in modifying the timetable, it looks like he will have longer with us, and much of it in fairly decent shape. We have even resumed our habit of driving out to the local German Restaurant for Schnitzel and a beer every couple of weeks.

Also in the good news category is that my wife finally has a diagnosis.

Bad news. I thought the 24-carat downer for this week was going to be some idiot garbage truck driver doing $17,000 worth of damage to the church school. When flinging - I mean emptying, the B&G Club dumpster, he clipped the fibre optic cables, which, unfortunately were attached by a bracket that could have held the Ark Royal. The weakest point turned out to be the Flemish bond brickwork of the school building. However, that was pipped at the post by my wife's diagnosis of lymphoma, which has taken four years to be arrived at. We now have to wait for all the tests to be undertaken to determine which sort, what stage, treatment options, etc..

She is strangely calm, and my reaction is also that I am strangely calm. There is hope that in the short term they can do something to reduce her pain levels, improve her quality of life, and help her live more normally. The down side is that we do not know how long that future will be. My instinct is that if it comes to a trade off between quality of life, and length of life, she will go with quality, given the number of times she has expressed a desire to die in the last couple of years. Whatever happens, it will be an interesting ride. I am keeping a weather eye out for a certain black dog, but at the moment knowing is infinitely better than not knowing.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I read this post of bad news, and my immediate response is "great stuff". I feel like I have won a victory when I react normally to bad news. It makes me feel like I have some degree of control of my mood, and, most importantly, that I am well. Sadness, distress, all of that is a proper response, and that might come later. But a sort of straight bat defensive stroke like you seem to have played is fantastic. I hope the cricket metaphor is meaningful.
  • PDR, thank you for updating us. I’m glad that, despite the trials you are currently facing, you are experiencing some peace and long may it continue. My prayers for you and your wife, and friend.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh, what a mixed bag of news, @PDR, prayers for you all 🕯
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    I read this post of bad news, and my immediate response is "great stuff". I feel like I have won a victory when I react normally to bad news. It makes me feel like I have some degree of control of my mood, and, most importantly, that I am well. Sadness, distress, all of that is a proper response, and that might come later. But a sort of straight bat defensive stroke like you seem to have played is fantastic. I hope the cricket metaphor is meaningful.

I am glad that you had a normal reaction. It does represent a victory. Cricket metaphors work for me as I used to play, though moving to the USA put a stop to that. I am usually at my best when I know the problems with which I am dealing. I usually can apply a straight bat to the big problems; I tend to go off the deep end when I get something minor but unexpected when I already have a plateful.
    Doone wrote: »
    Oh, what a mixed bag of news, @PDR, prayers for you all 🕯

Mixed bag describes it nicely. I handle uncertainty very poorly unless I can relegate it to the category labelled "irrelevance." So, on the whole, knowing is better for me. The limbo we were in before absorbed a huge amount of energy on my part. Couple that to a feeling of hopelessness, or being stuck, and the whole mess starts sucking energy like a dying A/C system making it very difficulty to function normally for all but the most routine tasks. I think we are going to be on an emotional roller coaster for a while, so the prayers are appreciated.
    PDR, thank you for updating us. I’m glad that, despite the trials you are currently facing, you are experiencing some peace and long may it continue. My prayers for you and your wife, and friend.

Thank you for the prayers. The calm is a little odd, but it seems to be my initial reaction to something serious. The one thing that is already proving a little difficult is that my wife doesn't want my friends to know what is going on, which makes things awkward. I just hope she lifts that embargo after a while.