Private forums

SimonSimon Editor
edited August 24 in The Styx
Alongside our public forums, we also host private forums which are run by individual shipmates. They can only be seen and posted to when you become a member of each particular forum. Joining them is at the discretion of the hosts, so talk nicely to them. Only shipmates (members of the public boards with 50+ posts) can apply to join. The private forums are:

Waving, Not Drowning

Here's a safe space for shipmates with any kind of mental health difficulty, from depression to personality disorder, and all stations in between. It's a place for mutual support, not unwanted advice; a place where if you feel you are drowning, you can wave and others will swim alongside. It could be a lifesaver. Comments one board member: ‘This board is something very special and important. For many of us, what we experience and feel makes us seem like nutcases to most of the people we meet. And yet here there is likely to be someone else who has experienced something akin, or at least can empathise.’ Please note that the requirement for joining is 100 posts on the public forums. If you’d like to join, message Esmeralda.

Via Media

This forum is dedicated to the proposition that discussion of specifically Anglican issues – by Anglicans, for Anglicans, and ranging from theology to tat, from surplices to sexuality, from bishops to bell ringing – does not necessarily have to be inflicted on the rest of the Ship. Anglicans are an intensely diverse group of Christians, but we have basic principles in common. This is a place where we can explore them together. Sympathetic fellow-travelers are, of course, welcome to join us. If you’d like to join, message Margaret or Rossweisse.

SuppAut

Whether you're formally or self-diagnosed on the autism/Asperger's spectrum, this forum is for mutual support and sharing views and experiences. If you’d like to join, message Jacobsen

Want to set up and run your own private board? Message Simon to find out how.

If you're trying to contact on of the hosts of these boards and get no response, contact one of the admins.

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    First, my co-host Margaret and I need to gauge interest in the Via Media board before we accept members. Please PM me in any event!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    So, do we have to build up posts from scratch, then? Our record from the old boards don’t count towards eligibility?
  • As far as possible, anyone who was a private board member before will be given access to the same boards here. Bearing in mind that the admins do not have a list of members, people have changed names and other complications there will be hic-cups. There had been information given on the old Waving board to allow us to identify members and give them access as we approved registration.

The "50 posts+ Shipmate" was only ever a part of the eligibility for private board membership. Especially for something like Waving, the hosts had to be as sure as they could that members would be trusted, that means enough posting history to make that judgement.
  • QohelethQoheleth Shipmate
    Fair Havens was a private board on Old Ship for discussing the impact of being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered (or LGBT-curious) on our spiritual lives and our relationships with God, the church, our families, our partners, etc., in a safe and respectful environment. It was a great place for support, encouragement and some fun and humour! It was not a place to rehash DH issues. I'm curating a fantastic archive of LGBT+ history, going back to 2006. So much pain. So much healing. So many stories. So much love.

However, the Haven has been very quiet these past few years, probably reflecting a more inclusive society, of which the Ship is a microcosm. Please PM me if you think it would be worthwhile considering re-establishing Fair Havens on New Ship.
  • Thus far we’ve only recreated those private boards that had a decent level of traffic prior to the switch. If the owners of the other boards think there’s will be sufficient future interest to merit them being recreated then we’ll think about it.
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    Members applying to join new boards have to have made 50 or 100 posts - not quite sure which ATM -. How can we gauge this since we all began at 1 when transferring to the new Ship? Realising that frequent posters of course have high post counts. But I seem to have lost my 8,000+. So, in the case of less frequent posters, how can we know?
    The penny has just dropped that after 50 posts one is no longer an apprentice but a shipmate. However, my query still applies where 100+ are required.
  • I would suggest that when someone applies for membership of a private board that they provide their screen name on the old boards, if they were registered there. That would allow private board hosts to decide on whether to grant membership based on their posting history on both boards.
    Thanks, Alan.
    A new private board is being set up, SuppAut - the Autism support board
    If this would be of interest to shipmates who are either self- or formally diagnosed as being aspergers/ on the autism spectrum, please pm me. If your name as changed on the new ship, please say what you were previously called.
    Via Media is now open for business! If you're interested, please write to @Margaret or me, and let us know. Please say whether you were a member on the Old Ship, and, if it has changed, what your old handle was.

Thank you!

• verityverity Shipmate
    I've been invited to join the Autism board, but I can't because of not having 50+ posts - I was definitely listed as a shipmate on the old forum.
    Can I please still join that board, as the owner of the board invited me? Or do I have to build up 50 posts on the new ship?
    It's very confusing, because of changing vessels.
  • verityverity Shipmate
    okay, so it turns out i was still an apprentice.
    I knew i didn't have enough posts to be a shipmate, so couldn't work out how i was one :blush:
    There's every chance I had been dreaming about this and saw "shipmate" next to my name in the dream....
  • Decisions about admission to a private board are up to the hosts of that board. There is no automatic qualification line, even with 50 posts they may still consider someone unsuited to their board. The 50 post criteria was a convenient way to identify those who had been around long enough, with enough posts, to allow private board hosts to assess the suitability of someone who wants to join their board.

Given the different way the post count works here the private board hosts may wish to consider how they decide on membership of their boards. But, that is their decision to make. The private boards are largely independent of the Ship. As long as there is nothing that will reflect on the Ship generally the hosts of private boards can run things how they like.
  • verityverity Shipmate
    edited March 10
    okey dokey, thank you.

As i say, i was invited to the board by the host, and i got an email from them saying that i had to have the 50 posts first.
    So I don't know whether that was their choice or whether that was just their understanding of the rules.
    @Margaret and I would like to welcome all those interested specifically in the Anglican Communion to join us on the Via Media board, which is now open for business. We have a nice conversation on church music started. Please PM Margaret or me to sign up.

Thanks!

• balaambalaam Shipmate
    verity wrote: »
    okey dokey, thank you.

As i say, i was invited to the board by the host, and i got an email from them saying that i had to have the 50 posts first.
    So I don't know whether that was their choice or whether that was just their understanding of the rules.
    Play games in the Circus. That's the quickest way to boost a post count.

As the host in question, it was my understanding of the rules. It's really not that difficult to achieve; -when I was challenged to up my 7,000+ posts to 8,000 before transferring to the new ship, I had a good time waltzing in and out of threads doing it. As I said, all it takes is a smiley or 27.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    Does one message the host to rejoin a private board (ie do they have the power), or an admin?
  • Contact the host.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    The private board Host must review the request, then if approved they poke the Admins to pull the appropriate levers behind the scenes like so many surly monkeys.
  • How would we know about a private forum in order to request membership? Is there a list somewhere, or is it just the 3 or 4 mentioned in this thread? (suddenly paranoid there's a "valleyabiding" forum devoted to mocking all things cliffdweller... )
  • At present the three mentioned here - Waving not Drowning, Via Media and SuppAut. When the rest of the new Ship is sailing and we have a decent FAQs there'll be a list there as well.
    Cliffdweller, if All Things Anglican interest you, drop me a line for Via Media!

• Oh, thank you so much for the invite, but I'm not Anglican (although my son is Episcopalian), so I don't know what I could contribute!
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host, 8th Day Host
    How would we know about a private forum in order to request membership? Is there a list somewhere, or is it just the 3 or 4 mentioned in this thread? (suddenly paranoid there's a "valleyabiding" forum devoted to mocking all things cliffdweller... )

Oh no - the games up. We've been found out.
  • MSHBMSHB Shipmate
    Does anyone know what is happening with the Suppaut private forum? I tried messaging Jacobsen, who posted here some time ago that he/she was the board admin, but I have had no response. When I look at Jacobsen's posting history on the Ship, there has been nothing since May.

Is Suppaut still running? Is there anyone else I can message about joining?
  • SupAut still exists, though it isn't very active. The Admins will grant access at the request of one of the hosts, but in this case Jacobsen is the only host so there is no one else to ask. If other members of SupAut are reading this maybe they could discuss appointing an additional host who could then approve applications and PM admin for us to give access.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    What is SupAut? Is this a private board for autistic people? May I join please? There wasn’t such a board years ago when I was enquiring about such a thing.
  • MSHBMSHB Shipmate
    fineline wrote: »
    What is SupAut? Is this a private board for autistic people? May I join please? There wasn’t such a board years ago when I was enquiring about such a thing.

Likewise. This is one of the reasons why I haven't been around much the last year or so. I have found other places to discuss autism related issues. But the Ship is where I first discovered that I might be on the autism spectrum (through Amber).

The Ship is still a useful place for discussing being autistic and a Christian.

SuppAut was mentioned here: https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/comment/5536#Comment_5536

But the host Jacobsen hasn't posted on the public boards since May: " Last Active May 16 "
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host, 8th Day Host
    I also asked to join.

Is Jacobson OK, does anyone know? I am always worried when an active poster like her appears to vanish suddenly.