Misattributed Quotes

Has anyone else noticed that quoted posts are sometimes showing up with an attribution to the wrong shipmate? A few weeks ago, @SirPalomides
quoted another post in a post of his, and the post he quoted was attributed to me, even though it was from a post by @Gramps49, as I noted at the time.

Then yesterday, @Rossweise quoted me in a post, but the quote is attributed to @Pigwidgeon, and if you click on the “>>,” it goes to a totally separate post (as in not part of a chain that Rossweise might have been quoting) by Pigwidgeon.

I’ve seen this happen with a few other posters, too. Any clue what might going on here?

Comments

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I think it is happening when people are editing quotes, and getting it slightly wrong. You only need to delete the wrong ‘[ quote]’ or ‘[ /quote]’ and everything goes downhill very fast.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    I think it is happening when people are editing quotes, and getting it slightly wrong. You only need to delete the wrong ‘[ quote]’ or ‘[ /quote]’ and everything goes downhill very fast.
    Except in the examples I cited, the misattribution wouldn’t have been in the quote to start with. In the one cited above from SirPalomides, for example, the post he was quoting was the one immediately before his own post. Neither I nor anyone else had quoted it, so there wouldn’t have been multiple [ quote]s or [/quote]s to lead to editing problems. And SirPalomides also thought it weird; had he also quoted me and then deleted everything of mine that he had quoted, my hunch is that he would have offered that explanation.
  • Yeah that was a straight quote I did without any alteration. Leaving off a few slashes or brackets wouldn’t result in the quote being attributed to a completely different person. I think it’s definitely Kremlin hackers.
  • But I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of: “Live, laugh, love!” - Lao Tzu
  • But I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of: “Live, laugh, love!” - Lao Tzu
    :lol:
    Sorry to disappoint.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    But I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of: “Live, laugh, love!” - Lao Tzu
    Ten points!

• RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    edited August 26
    Is it possible that this comes from having a post already in draft, and then clicking 'Quote'? So the draft, which may be a reply to a different person, ends up stuck before the quote you intended to post.
  • If that happened then, yes, you would get the post you describe - a reply to someone else followed by the quote. It wouldn't change the attribution of the quote or the link to the original post.
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    edited August 26
    Yes, I meant if the poster then noticed the intrusion and tried to delete it but ended up deleting the wrong [ quote ], as suggested by BroJames.

[ETA: I've just noticed that if you post a [ quote ] (without spaces) and without a [ /quote ], the software assumes that everything to the end of the post is a quote.]
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    The link in the post in question goes back to a post by Nick Tamen nearly two weeks previously. Is it possible that Sir Palomides had started a reply to Nick’s previous post, or had accidentally clicked the quote button when scrolling through*, either case resulting in a quote which was only incompletely deleted when Sir Palomides was composing his new post?

*I’ve done this more than once on touch-screen devices.

Here’s me fouling up and misattributing to Nick Tamen
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Except in the examples I cited, the misattribution …
    [/quote]

and here’s me fouling up and misattributing to Nick Tamen but the link actually goes to the quoted post
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Except in the examples I cited, the misattribution…
    [/quote]

All I need to do is tidy up the trailing [ /quote] and the thing is complete