Purgatorial Profanity

On a Purgatory thread I wanted to describe something as a "toxic shitpile" but wasn't sure where the boundary of acceptable terminology was so I used the term "toxic dungheap" instead. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the change if it had been a Hell board. Are there any guidelines on what is or isn't acceptable within a Purgatorial setting?

Comments

• I removed a couple earlier today, but they were pretty ripe.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    In Hell, pretty much everything goes. I say, pretty much, because we did have an interesting debate about a particular gendered sexual swearword, and I'm not sure we reached a conclusion about that.

In Purgatory? I'd be happy reading about toxic shitpiles, but I work from home and don't have to justify anything that appears on my screen to the boss. I'm interested to hear from shipmates as to whether the presence of profanity (and what levels of profanity) would get them into trouble/cause them to stop reading.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    In Hell, pretty much everything goes. I say, pretty much, because we did have an interesting debate about a particular gendered sexual swearword, and I'm not sure we reached a conclusion about that.

In Purgatory? I'd be happy reading about toxic shitpiles, but I work from home and don't have to justify anything that appears on my screen to the boss. I'm interested to hear from shipmates as to whether the presence of profanity (and what levels of profanity) would get them into trouble/cause them to stop reading.

No trouble which wouldn't already be engendered by farting around on t'interwebs instead of working in the first place.

Not that I ever, etc...
  • Wait, what? Thought is had been pretty much a settled thing that profanity, barring possibly a few targetd ones, were pretty much acceptable.
    I seem to remember time and again n00bs complaint about naughty language and being to shut their gob and deal with it.
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    Wait, what? Thought is had been pretty much a settled thing that profanity, barring possibly a few targetd ones, were pretty much acceptable.
    I seem to remember time and again n00bs complaint about naughty language and being to shut their gob and deal with it.
    Or to be more precise, mocked with ITTWACW.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Tone policing is bad in any context. If someone is discussing something that upsets or angers them then that upset and anger is important to the argument. Appropriate language for expressing upset, anger and frustration helps, not hinders debate. Yes, I am talking about Purgatory here, it's not just for Hell.

'I'll not talk to you unless you calm down and use polite language is a way of closing down debate. If we are discussing topics that bring out strong feelings expect strong replies. I find it actually abusive when people try to shut me down.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    edited September 11
    And one can be perfectly abusive whilst being perfectly polite.
    Which is why we have hosts. Else, all the boards would need are the included profanity filters.
  • I concur.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Wait, what? Thought is had been pretty much a settled thing that profanity, barring possibly a few targetd ones, were pretty much acceptable.
    I remember Erin confirming that this is the case, even in All Saints.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited September 12
    LeRoc wrote: »
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    I remember Erin confirming that this is the case, even in All Saints.

This.
  • I don't often swear on these boards, but I'm fucking grateful for that ruling!
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Concur - I would (probably have) used strong language in Purg. Toxic shitpile is fine. The difference as I see it si that you have to use language appropriately in purg - it has to be relevant for your discussion and debate.

Possibly more - the post as a whole needs to be a debate contribution. An interesting recent example from Greenbelt - Brass Against did "Killing in the Name". The final lines of this are "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me". But before that, they had done a rant about the oppression, the abuse, the crap that they saw around them in the world. In that context the wording was perfect. It gave the language an appropriate context that meant it was not jsut gratuitous swearing.
  • Yes and remember the less you use the swear words the more effective they are. I recently used one in work, because I rarely swear it was immediately known I was not talking about a small blunder.
  • /tangent
    That jolly nice chap David Gower (ex-England cricket captain, Tonbridge School) used the F word live on air (Sky TV) yesterday, just as play was about to resume in the England v Australia cricket match. It went mighty quiet, then someone else stepped in.
    tangent/
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    /tangent
    That jolly nice chap David Gower (ex-England cricket captain, Tonbridge School) used the F word live on air (Sky TV) yesterday, just as play was about to resume in the England v Australia cricket match. It went mighty quiet, then someone else stepped in.
    tangent/

Is Sky TV purgatory or hell?
  • Gee D wrote: »
    sionisais wrote: »
    /tangent
    tangent/

Is Sky TV purgatory or hell?

This summer Sky TV Cricket has fluctuated between Heaven and Hell, with painful forays to Purgatory when G Boycott was blathering on.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Bring back Johnny Moyes.
  • That's enough cricket talk ...

Tubbs
    Hosting