BBCode practice thread

Comments

• Oh no,
  • :-1: OK, so -1 seems a little counterintuitive
    :+1: but if that is -1, +1 makes sense.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    :-1: just testing
  • Practice makes perfect, said Aristotle (alright, I know he didn't, but it's the sort of thing he might have said ).
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I don't seem to be able to give a short title to a URL link; if I link to the St. Magnus Cathedral Wikipedia page, using the URL thingy above, I get a long link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Magnus_Cathedral

and it doesn't give the option of giving it a short title like "St. Magnus Cathedral"

Am I just being more dense than usual?
  • The structure of the tags is exactly the same as with UBB code. If you use the url button it will take the address and post it with the url as the default text, which at that point will be highlighted so you can edit it within the reply window. So, for your example, click the url button, enter the URL, click OK then immediately type "St Magnus Cathedral". This will replace the text between the opening and closing tags.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Cripes. Two failures on this (which you haven't seen 'cos I deleted before posting), but I'm gonna try it again: [votive].
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    St. Magnus Cathedral

Success! Thanks, Alan! :)
  • MothMoth Shipmate
    Hmm, three things I hate:
    1. Lists
    2. Posts
    3. Irony
  • MothMoth Shipmate
    Also
    Pyramids
    Of lots of words
    Which are just very silly.
  • luvanddaisiesluvanddaisies Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Playing with smilies. Apologies in advance...

:neutral: :anguished: :cookie: :hushed: :error: :confounded: :angry: :naughty: :wink: :joy: :flushed: :mrgreen: :smirk: :no_mouth: :open_mouth: :persevere: :relieved: :sunglasses: :star: :yum: :pensive: :warning: :expressionless: :cry: :dizzy: :+1: :-1:

I also miss our little old gang of smilies
    :mrgreen: is my favourite of this bunch because it looks most like one of them! (This isn’t a complete collection, by the way!)
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2018
    • Things that are too obvious.
    • Secret messages.
    • Extrapolating.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    So theoretically, this should link to the page
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    I want to use an abbreviated quote of some's post so let's see if I can do it. luvanddaisies:
    Now to see if this part doesn't end up in the quote.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    :confused: Sigh. In order to quote part of a previous post do I need to hit the "quote" button and delete everything I don't want? Because in the post above I tried using BBCode to quote from luvanddaisies' post. When I hit preview it looked fine. Then I added a sentence next supposedly outside the quote. Luvanddaisies' quote disappeared and my next sentence moved in to replace it. Reversing the brackets, this is what I did:

Luvanddaisies: [quote[ I also miss our little old gang of smilies[/unquote[ Now to see if this part doesn't end up in the quote.

I thought I used the BBCode correctly. But no.

Help!
    Lyda wrote: »
    You're not far from getting it, there's just a couple tweaks to get straight. Here's the code for my quote of you above:
    [quote="Lyda;6471"]
    [/quote]

The things to remember are:
    1. Make sure the <quote> and </quote> tags go around the part you want to quote (except with square brackets, obviously).
    2. To get the handy "person wrote" with a link to the person's profile, you need the first quote tag to have the <quote="username"> inserted in the first quote bit.
    3. Finally, to sneak in the chevron-looking link >> to the specific post, you add in the post ID after a semicolon --> <quote="username;post ID". The unique post ID of any given post is visible if you hover your pointer over the time listed on the post. Or click on the time, and the post ID is included in the address at the end.
  • In the bottom example, you're not closing the brackets around each piece of code. You need to start ceding with [ and finish with ]. / is un whatever you did before.
    Also, the code for quoting is:
    [quote] [/quote]

It's also fiddly enough that if as when I got it wrong just now, I gave up posting on my phone to correct the draft.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Rook:
    The things to remember are:
    Make sure the <quote> and </quote> tags go around the part you want to quote (except with square brackets, obviously).
    To get the handy "person wrote" with a link to the person's profile, you need the first quote tag to have the <quote="username"> inserted in the first quote bit.
    Finally, to sneak in the chevron-looking link >> to the specific post, you add in the post ID after a semicolon --> <quote="username;post ID". The unique post ID of any given post is visible if you hover your pointer over the time listed on the post. Or click on the time, and the post ID is included in the address at the end.

Testing.

I tried to find the post number, but there are no time markers visible until I hover over the date. Then I get the time but no other number. That's why I put the "Rook:" outside the quotes.

Okay what I've done here is type Rook: then put the <quote>The things to remember....address at the end.</quote> Then below Testing etc.

Let's see.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Whoa. It worked. The only thing different from my first time was typing the quoted portion and the non-quoted portions at the same time and not adding the non-quote part after "preview" and adding the by an edit.
  • You need square brackets [ and ], not the triangular brackets
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    I know. I used the <> as Rook did to show what I had done internally without getting the final effect.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Now, if I only knew how to use the 6 minute edit. I hit the cute daisy and nothing happens. Nothing to edit.
  • You hit the 6 min message - or 4 minute - 3 minute, or ... (As I found when trying out smileys)
  • Lyda wrote: »
    I tried to find the post number, but there are no time markers visible until I hover over the date.
    If you click on the "QUOTE button at the bottom of the post then that will create the quote, with the post number already there. Then just delete anything inside the quote tags that you don't want.

Lyda wrote: »
    Now, if I only knew how to use the 6 minute edit. I hit the cute daisy and nothing happens. Nothing to edit.
    If it's within the edit time then clicking that icon should give you a drop down menu with a single entry ("Edit") which will then allow you to edit your post (the reason that it's a drop down menu is because there are other functions as well, but only hosts & admins get to use them).
    Mea culpa - I mis-remembered where the post ID number could be discovered.

Also: The edit time is 5 minutes, as measured by the server.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Testing the edit time.

OK - when I click the cog wheel (that's what I call it for other programs) - I get a line that says:
    Edit (6 minutes)

If I take several goes at editing this (as I did when I was trying to work out which smileys used shortcuts), so click the SAVE COMMENT box and try editing again, when I click on the cog wheel, I have seen the line say:
    Edit (4 minutes)
    Edit (3 minutes)
    Interesting. That's a fun discrepancy between function and documentation. But not a problem.
  • votive
    ==>

==~~

||||
    tm

• WildHaggis wrote: »
    It took me a while to get as I was caught in a loop. Now I'm on but........................
    I no long have my avatar.
    Can someone send out a search party for it please.
    Just using your post to test if I can break up a quoted text. Hope you don't mind!!
    I think it will have to be mountain rescue with the snow here in Wales.
    Hmmm, will now post ...
  • SusanDoris wrote: »
    WildHaggis wrote: »
    It took me a while to get as I was caught in a loop. Now I'm on but........................
    I no long have my avatar.
    Can someone send out a search party for it please.
    Just using your post to test if I can break up a quoted text. Hope you don't mind!!
    I think it will have to be mountain rescue with the snow here in Wales.
    Hmmm, will now post ...
    Nope - didn't work!

can someone please point me in the direction of how to (a) break up a quoted post to insert comment, (b) how to multi-quote?
  • To break a quote is the same as the method on the old boards. Where you want to top the quote insert a closing tag </quote> and then put an opening tag <quote> where you want to pick up the quote (replace the <> with square brackets), and put your response between those tags.

The quote from multiple posts (on the same thread), click the "QUOTE button for the first post you want to quote, add in your response. Then go to the next post you want to respond to and click "QUOTE for that one. The second post will now be quoted at the bottom of the reply you're working on.

If you want to bring a quote in from another thread then you're still going to need to press the "QUOTE there and then copy the text and code to paste into the reply on a different thread (note you may end up with an unwanted draft that you would need to delete)

• To break a quote is the same as the method on the old boards. Where you want to top the quote insert a closing tag </quote> and then put an opening tag <quote> where you want to pick up the quote (replace the <> with square brackets), and put your response between those tags.
    Practising...
    The quote from multiple posts (on the same thread), click the "QUOTE button for the first post you want to quote, add in your response. Then go to the next post you want to respond to and click "QUOTE for that one. The second post will now be quoted at the bottom of the reply you're working on.
    Okay - I'll find another post to quote
    If you want to bring a quote in from another thread then you're still going to need to press the "QUOTE there and then copy the text and code to paste into the reply on a different thread (note you may end up with an unwanted draft that you would need to delete)
    Still testing ...
    RooK wrote: »
    Mea culpa - I mis-remembered where the post ID number could be discovered.

Also: The edit time is 5 minutes, as measured by the server.
    Will now post to check ...

• Okay - that seems to have worked!
  • Practice: +1 -1 (using keypad
    {1 using NP - I think
    Don't forget the colons. :+1:
  • ::+1 on key pad :-1

:+1 :-1on number pad - I think

SuperNova uses the NP for other functions so I have to do Num Lock on or off I think
  • I'll give up for now! I'll stick to : ) and : D and try again later
    edited March 2018
    You're missing the end colon. If you quote somebody else's post, you can see exactly the code for what they did.
    :+1:
  • RooK wrote: »
    You're missing the end colon. If you quote somebody else's post, you can see exactly the code for what they did.
    :+1:
    Ah, Thank you. I didn't realise there was a colon afterwards too.
    :+1: :-1:

Crosses fingers and posts....

• I thought I'd edit to add a smiley since I can now do the thumbs up, but haven't yet worked out how to edit. I clicked on 'edit', but nothing seemed to happen.
  • Having clicked on quote, sometimes I hear 'so-and-so wrote' and sometimes I hear 'show previous quotes'. What does the latter mean?

By the way, my SuperNova software seems to be very compatible with this new format. I particularly like the way I can hear how many new posts there are in the same place as thread title.
  • To edit a post, click on the cog icon at the top right of the post. That will then give a drop down menu with an edit button (also time left before the end of the 5 minutes you have to edit the post). You'll get the chance to edit the post more or less where it appears (it doesn't load into the reply window at the bottom).

There is an edit button below the reply window at the bottom (between preview and save draft) but I don't know why. It doesn't actually appear to do anything.
  • To edit a post, click on the cog icon at the top right of the post. That will then give a drop down menu with an edit button (also time left before the end of the 5 minutes you have to edit the post). You'll get the chance to edit the post more or less where it appears (it doesn't load into the reply window at the bottom).

There is an edit button below the reply window at the bottom (between preview and save draft) but I don't know why. It doesn't actually appear to do anything.
    Ah! That accounts for the fact that nothing happens when I have clicked on it!! I haven't seen a cog icon yet - I'll make finding it my next step forward!

• No, I cannot find the cog - with magnification up, I can see there is a blue time. Is the cog to the right or left or under that?e
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    No, I cannot find the cog - with magnification up, I can see there is a blue time. Is the cog to the right or left or under that?e
    I think the cog will only stay on top of your post for 5 minutes.

• LeRoc wrote: »
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    No, I cannot find the cog - with magnification up, I can see there is a blue time. Is the cog to the right or left or under that?e
    I think the cog will only stay on top of your post for 5 minutes.
    Thank you - I'll keep my beedy (peripheral!) eye on the next post I do to see if I can spot it!
  • No, no luck. :-1:
  • Someone else described it as a daisy, in case it's there but you see it as something different from a cog.

Above a post will be a line of text: your name, status (Shipmate) and time. The icon is at the right hand end of that..