South of Middle Earth

WormInTheGrassWormInTheGrass Shipmate
edited January 2 in All Saints
Welcome to all shipmates who dwell below the equator. Sadly, Lothlorien, who started last year’s thread has been promoted to glory, so I am attempting to start a thread for the first time ever. Stay safe, shipmates! (Hope this works.)

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks for doing that, WITG - good title!

Wishing all my antipodean chums safe and well for 2020.
  • Thank you, Piglet.
    Good house selling to you.
    WitG junior, our only offspring, is currently residing in York, and if he stays put we will probably visit him in October. If so, I think we would be planning a side trip to Edinburgh, and would be pleased to meet you in real life.
    That would be lovely! :)
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Lovely title for this thread and a very appropriate tribute to Lothlorien! Best wishes to you all and hoping you stay safe and well 🕯.
  • Appropriate, yes, but I'm afraid the title makes me think of the cruel Haradrim, who lived in those regions south of Gondor etc.

Mumak! 'Ware Mumak!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I love the title with an acknowledgement to Lothlorien. I will notice her absence on this thread more than anywhere else on the Ship. Thanks for the suggestion Cameron.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    edited January 2
    Well done, Worm!

And, @Bishops Finger , perhaps given the vacuous response to human need of some antipodean politicians, "cruel Haradrim" may not be far off the mark.

Not naming anyone. of course. Or any side of politics. This is a friendly thread.
  • O indeed. A Christian website, and all that.

Quite a few Polly Titians seem to be worshipping Sau**n of late...and not just those down in Far Harad...
  • Good to see the 'local' folk rallying, and I can see we shall not be forgetting Lothlorien when we drop in here.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Hi GG, good to se you posting. Hope Christmas and New Year went well for you.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I see there's a group of farmers here gauging support through the farming community to offer holidays for Australian farmers affected by the fires. Apparently there is strong interest in Canterbury due to the support received from Australian farmers during the quakes.

I hope it gets off the ground.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Well, quietly, with son, daughter-in-law and the foster family. As each year, I took my 83-year-old sleeping doll to church for her annual appearance as Baby Jesus in the manger. Her head is more loose than I remembered so I'll have to send her off to the doll hospital, which I suppose won't be cheap.
    Son is not marking exams this year so he and wife had a week at Matarangi before Christmas and have just gone up for another week, this time with their youngest who's just finished high school, and the French girl Rotary exchange student who's just joined them. As in the good old days when I was regularly relieving at Wellington High, where Murray now teaches, there are three of his colleagues going up for a week each, and loving it. I heard in the midday news of a whale stranding there and phoned them, but next thing daughter in Canada was posting photos on line of the thousand-odd who'd already turned up hoping to help, from the local Matarangi paper's photographer.
    Very peaceful here. Our thoughts are with Australians. The haze has reached Wellington.
    Joy be with you in the year ahead.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    What wonderful posts from both of you, much needed at this time. The Far South Coast is not an area we know well, but have been to Mallacoota, a peaceful and attractive little town. Dbeach missed damage in the more northerly fire a few weeks ago, lots of hard and skilled work by the RFS there.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I went to pick up my replacement tablet today. Beside each cash register was a large sign asking for donations to the Salvation Army in Australia for their work with those affected by the fires. Because I had actually paid for my tablet when I ordered it, the new staff member couldn't process a payment unless it in cash, luckily I had some with me.

I haven't seen any other places collecting, but given the largest banks are Australian owned one of them may be doing so too.
  • Some cool refreshing rain in the Northern Rivers today. A relief after the heat, but we need lots more than 7mm.
    I have put a diverter into a downpipe to top up the pool. Level 4 restrictions allow no watering whatsoever,
  • I have just seen that Lothlorien has gone to glory and I am too late to add to the thread.
    In 2009/10 when I was having a week of each month in Sydney we used to meet for coffee. I was wondering about training for chaplaincy at that time and she introduced me to someone who was a chaplain for St John's Ambulance and that helped in my decision to go for training.

I have just completed my training for inclusion in the Disaster Recover Chaplaincy Network and am wondering if I am likely to be called. The fires are all down south in NSW now.
    Level 4 restrictions allow no watering whatsoever,

grey water time?
  • Zappa wrote: »
    Level 4 restrictions allow no watering whatsoever,

grey water time?

Yes. We are bucketing out the washing machine water and have a bucket in the shower for the cold water that comes through first.
    And we can use our tank water, but not town water.
    Oh, the memories.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Fortunately the weather has been pretty warm. We're relying on lots of swimming and minimal showers, with the pool topped up with rainwater.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    31C here today, so it's just starting to become pleasant Zappa. :wink: Tomorrow 17c is the forecast high, which is much more my kind of day, with a sprinkle of rain thrown in for good measure.

I am sitting here dripping after a lukewarm shower. The idea of shaving my head floated through my mind earlier, but probably not a good idea I didn't want to give myself a fright when I looked in the mirror. The cat is sprawled on the bathroom floor looking like she has melted.

Tomorrow the plumber is coming so I am hoping he can sort out the leaky cylinder.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    [...] As each year, I took my 83-year-old sleeping doll to church for her annual appearance as Baby Jesus in the manger. [...]

An 83-year-old sleeping doll? - I'm afraid this immediately conjured up images of Cliff Richard et al for me, at Comic Relief, from some years back! - May their performance not offend, but raise a (wry) smile in the antipodes! :)

Huia wrote: »
    31C here today, so it's just starting to become pleasant Zappa.

:mrgreen:

I think we briefly nudged the mid teens yesterday ... then the heavens sighed and opened :cry: ... sigh
    When I left Scotland on Thursday morning, it was 3°; when I got back to Fredericton that night, it was -17°. Does that make you feel any better? :mrgreen:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    What is this -17 of which you speak? my thermometer doesn't go down that far. I know Canada is a lovely country and all that, after all hasn't formerly senior royalty chosen to live there, but I'm so glad my ancestors hopped on the NZ bound ship in the 1850s, from what I've been told it was a close run decision. ( the family story is that the father was claiming money in a court case and there was an attempt on his life, so he skedaddled in a hurry taking most of his family with him. His father followed several years later).
    Wow - that's quite an exciting tale!

Like quite a few Brits, my family nearly emigrated to Australia in the 1950s*, and D's nearly did in the 1920s, so our lives might have been very different from what they were.

* Some of them already had - two great-aunts went from Orkney to Australia in (I think) sometime aroud the First World War, and we met several of their descendents during the 70s and 80s when they were "doing Europe".
  • Yes, Huia, there was mention on the Canadian thread of -45C. The record minimum temperature for the whole of Australia in the time records have been kept is -23C, and locally the record is about -10C. We get single digit negative temperatures on most clear nights in winter. So -45C is a bit mind-boggling!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    W.I.G, your post made me wonder about stats here.

Highest in both NZ and Christchurch is 42C, lowest in NZ is -25.6C and in Christchurch a mild -7.1C.

I admit that the highest scares me more than the lowest. I honestly think there would be deaths here with 42C. I think the highest temperature I've experienced is 33C.
  • Northern Rivers NSW has moved from water restrictions and fire dangers to heavy rain ~ 150cm.
    The Gold Coast has had some flooding.

However, LKKspouse is still heading to Tumut in the Snowys on Monday to work for the government in disaster relief for fire-affected people.

I have recently received my Disaster Relief Chaplaincy accreditation and so could get an SMS asking for my availability.
    150 centimetres of rain??? That's 59 inches ... :flushed:
  • I think that is mm but the report I saw was in excess of 300 mm (12 inches).
    That's still more than enough! Is it falling in the places where it's really needed, where the fires have been?
    I believe it's been a big help, let's put it that way. But there is a long way to go in the fire season.
  • WormInTheGrassWormInTheGrass Shipmate
    edited January 20
    Meanwhile, mysterious forces have been Stoning the cars of Canberra. They have also washed the last of the current round of smoke out of the air. And I and my car managed not to be out in it!!! {Phew!}
  • Piglet wrote: »
    150 centimetres of rain??? That's 59 inches ... :flushed:

It should have been mm.
    Now accumulated to 225 mm.
    Water restrictions reduced but not ended.
    Even 225 mm is pretty impressive! :flushed:
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Shirley Erena Murray, hymnwriter, has died.
    Her son told me she just wanted it to be over a week or so ago.
    May flights of angels sing her to her rest ...
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Googled her, Galilit -- what an amazing woman, RIP. I must listen to some of her hymns.

Here we have had unseasonable rain and low temperatures for high summer and it feels like autumn. My rosemary bushes are all blue with flower. We'll be back in veldfire season soon enough.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    Anyone else been staying up too late watching the tennis? First we had an incredible match the other night when Federer eventually triumphed after a close and exciting game and tonight Nick Kyrigos won a tight game that went for hours and which could have gone either way. I'm exhausted and yet I haven't even left my chair!
    Galilit wrote: »

A few years back a media outlet - Radio New Zealand by memory but I may be wrong - made something of a blue when it referred to " 'The Servant Song' by well-known Kāpiti hymn-writer Shirley Murray." The actual author of said song was somewhat bemused, perhaps even miffed. But that aside, a long and fruitful life well lived. May she rest in peace.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    A. much-loved friend for many years; harder to keep in touch with age and restricted movement.
    Her hymns are sung around the world. Last time I visited Iona (on our farewell trip in 2011) and worshipped in the Abbey I found myself singing Shirley's familiar hymns.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    The new Australian of the Year is Dr James Muecke, an eye doctor from South Australia, who campaigns against diabetes and the sugar intake which fuels it.

A worthy winner, but I can't help wondering what if another nominated doctor, Dr Mujid al Muderis had won. He is now a leading orthopedic surgeon, but arrived in Australia as a refugee from Iraq via a people-smuggler's boat, which resulted in his spending years in a prison camp for such people. I can imagine him refusing to shake hands with Prime Minister Morrison, who hands out the awards and whose greatest boast is that he "stopped the boats".
    I don't think I'd blame Dr. al Muderis if he hadn't wanted to.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks Galilit. So sad there will be no more new hymns from her, but she has a remarkable body of work for us to keep singing.
    A new book (her sixth) was published a few months ago
    Zappa wrote: »
    [... a long and fruitful life well lived. May she rest in peace.

But, like so many super-talented women of that generation, so much of it spent dealing with Manse and children; in addition to an unending stream of waifs, strays, intense young things (self included) and innumerable unrecognised contributions. Only after that phase was was over (and the world had changed a bit) could she really express her own immense writing gifts

• We sang For everyone born, a place at the table in church this morning.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have the Pastoral email about Shirley Murray sent out by the Presbyterian Church of NZ. If anyone wants a copy I can email it to you if you send me your email address. (I promise not to send you Spam about increasing the size of body parts - or anything else. :innocent: ).
  • You might find yourself singing Shirley Murray's hymns almost anywhere in the world. On a final visit to Scotland n 2011 I worshipped in the Abbey on Iona, and sang two of Shirley's hymns.
    Shirley was my Matron of Honour when we married ('a kind of elderly bridesmaid' according to her boys) and her husband John officiated.
    Yes, indeed. A friend in The Borders (Scotland) made a wee speech and they sang there