Is a collect prayer needed?

2»

Comments

• angloid wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    The background of the collect is that after the hymn of praise, the liturgist calls on the congregation to pray. There should be a short pause to allow the congregants to pray by themselves. When I am the liturgist, I will give a 60-second pause. At the end of the pause, the liturgist sums up all the prayers in the collect.

'The liturgist'??? Don't you mean the presiding minister? (Priest or otherwise).

Presiding minister--you are correct.
  • Zappa wrote: »
    In many American Lutheran congregations, the congregants themselves are invited to recite the prayer of the day in unison.

*shudders*

At least all those in attendance are on the same page when they recite it.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    Zappa wrote: »
    In many American Lutheran congregations, the congregants themselves are invited to recite the prayer of the day in unison.

*shudders*

At least all those in attendance are on the same page when they recite it.

That is far from guaranteed if Lutheran congregations are anything like Anglican or Presbyterian ones. There will be a heck of a lot of mumbling accompanied by shuffling of paper until at least halfway through.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    There's a reason the bits that are the same every week, or are the same every week until we start the next liturgical season usually belong to the congregation, and the bits that change every week are usually the ministers'. It keeps the paper rattling and the looking lost down to an acceptable level.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    I love the liturgical poetry of

"Now we'll all just read the collect which you'll find just under the notice for the toy library on the fifth page of the newsletter unless you've got the newsletter on the blue paper because we ran out and then that hasn't got a fifth page so it's on page 547 of the red prayer book. But oh wait a minute ... first the sentence ... "
  • In the early days of the ASB I was a curate. My vicar was always saying, "We'll turn to pg 879 and say paragraph 4 together, as the Proper Preface". It's not a habit I continued when I left his care.

"Now we'll all just read the collect which you'll find just under the notice for the toy library on the fifth page of the newsletter unless you've got the newsletter on the blue paper because we ran out and then that hasn't got a fifth page so it's on page 547 of the red prayer book. But oh wait a minute ... first the sentence ... "

This is why we use PowerPoint. :naughty:

This is why we use PowerPoint. :naughty:

Or, perhaps, leave the presidential prayers to the president (celebrant)?
  • In the early days of the ASB I was a curate. My vicar was always saying, "We'll turn to pg 879 and say paragraph 4 together, as the Proper Preface". It's not a habit I continued when I left his care.

Yeah. I don't have time for that nonsense either.

I just pray what I pray. If people are following, they know what's happening; if they're not, they don't. It takes time for people to get to know the services, and I think that's ok. Now our regulars just immerse themselves in it because it's part of the regular pattern and rhythm for them. I'm not going to interrupt that with spoken stage directions.
  • Preach it brother! The joy of liturgy, if you like that sort of thing, is that you can relax in it. Unnecessary instructions get in the way.
  • "The liturgy is of comfort to the disarrayed mind. We need not choose our thoughts; the words are aligned like a rope for us to cling to"

Sister Monica Joan (of Call the Midwife)