New Software Snagging List

Marvin the MartianMarvin the Martian Administrator
edited February 28 in The Styx
Welcome to the new Ship of Fools boards!

We all hope you'll settle in quickly and easily, but if you're having any difficulties or have any questions or comments about our new software then please post them here.

Please avoid using this thread for trivial or personal complaints like "I don't like the font" or "can you make the header orange instead of blue", as we'll probably be busy enough with serious things like people not knowing how to use or do things. Also, because the answers will be "tough" or "no" respectively.

Comments

• We apologise that for a brief moment some of you had the ability to use signatures. As advertised on the old boards, we have decided not to use the signatures plugin so this has now been disabled for everyone.

I know many will be upset about that, but it's what we'd advertised so you knew it was coming.

Sorry again.
  • So, the question is why? The reasoning given on Ye Olde Ship was that the capability was an add-on that hadn't been added.
    It seems that it a feature already on the New Ship, so why the hate?
  • How can we see what posts are new since we last read, and what posts were already here?
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    You should have a Notifications setting on your profile, which then links to the little planet icon top right.
  • BroJamesBroJames Shipmate
    edited February 28
    Different question. If I click through to the homepage, it takes me back to the old familiar SoF website. If I click 'Community' there, it takes me to the old forum pages. Does that need to be tidied up?
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    So, the question is why? The reasoning given on Ye Olde Ship was that the capability was an add-on that hadn't been added.
    It seems that it a feature already on the New Ship, so why the hate?

We are discussing the matter behind the scenes. I'll let you know when we have an answer.
    Eventually, yes. Bookmark the forums page for now.
  • EutychusEutychus Purgatory Host
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    You should have a Notifications setting on your profile, which then links to the little planet icon top right.

Or use "recent discussions", which is fast becoming my preferred entry point. I think if you click on the threads, it takes you to where you left off. I think.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    How can we see what posts are new since we last read, and what posts were already here?

The "Discussions" section shows you which threads have been posted on since you last looked at them.

When you open a thread it should take you directly to the first unread post.

This should be linked to your profile rather than device.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    Different question. If I click through to the homepage, it takes me back to the old familiar SoF website. If I click 'Community' there, it takes me to the old forum pages. Does that need to be tidied up?

Yes. Yes it does.
  • Not sure if this is a snag or a "feature", but one can type a word, select it with a mouse drag and one-click bold, italicise or strike through. However, it is not reversible without directly editing the text.
    This is a benefit of the UBB?
  • Although the old familiar SoF website is due to be overhauled as well, so we may just wait until that's complete.
    Not sure if this is a snag or a "feature", but one can type a word, select it with a mouse drag and one-click bold, italicise or strike through. However, it is not reversible without directly editing the text.
    This is a benefit of the UBB?

At least you can do it with one drag-and-click the first time!
  • An oddity turned up due to my imbecility. I select on edit for my icon choice and then did nothing before I saved it and ended up with either a small random area of background or just pure white. I fixed it for myself by re-editing and selecting most of the picture. I suggest not worth 'fixing' but worth having a note of because I suspect I am not alone in my imbecility.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »

Note, you can choose what notifications you want to see. There's a notification settings link from the planet icon, or from your own profile settings page.
  • I mentioned this on the New Ship forums launch… thread a couple of days ago, but I don't think it got answered. Do higher resolution versions of the old 'standard' avatars exist? If so might we have access to them? Mine looks fine as a thumbnail, but not great on my profile page (Oh and BTW is anyone going to do anything about that speck of dust on the ship's bell? :mrgreen: )
  • OK, so the forum auto-saves a draft as one composes. This is terrific. And one can purposely save a draft. That is also good. What is mildly annoying is that if one decides to not post, it is also saved. There doesn't appear to be a delete draft and deleting the text in the window doesn't stop the text from appearing the next time one visits a thread.

• Yes. I noticed that too. A bit of a risk if your wiser self decides not to post something, and you return to the thread and hit the wrong button.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    OK, so the forum auto-saves a draft as one composes. This is terrific. And one can purposely save a draft. That is also good. What is mildly annoying is that if one decides to not post, it is also saved. There doesn't appear to be a delete draft and deleting the text in the window doesn't stop the text from appearing the next time one visits a thread.
    If you go into the "drafts" folder and open the draft in question there is a teeny tiny cross at the top right which enables you to delete it.

(That was one of the icons that was literally invisible in beta-testing...)

• sabinesabine Shipmate
    edited February 28
    I can't seem to figure out how to get to my profile. Feeling dumb about that.

sabine
    sabine wrote: »

sabine

If you click your icon, your edit profile option appears.
  • Click your ship name near the top of the page on the right
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    A minor snaggle when I registered using my iPad: once the terms and conditions (10 commandments) had popped up I couldn’t figure out how to close them again. I ended up using Safari’s back button, but that took me off the registration page and I had to start again.
  • sabinesabine Shipmate

sabine
    BroJames wrote: »
    Click your ship name near the top of the page on the right

Thanks. Got it
  • sabinesabine Shipmate
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    sabine wrote: »

sabine

If you click your icon, your edit profile option appears.

Thanks, I got there.
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    rufiki wrote: »
    A minor snaggle when I registered using my iPad: once the terms and conditions (10 commandments) had popped up I couldn’t figure out how to close them again. I ended up using Safari’s back button, but that took me off the registration page and I had to start again.

I just went back to check, and the little x is top right and obvious when the 10C’s first open. But if I scroll to the bottom and back up, the x appears to have been raptured.
    I mentioned this on the New Ship forums launch… thread a couple of days ago, but I don't think it got answered. Do higher resolution versions of the old 'standard' avatars exist? If so might we have access to them? Mine looks fine as a thumbnail, but not great on my profile page (Oh and BTW is anyone going to do anything about that speck of dust on the ship's bell? :mrgreen: )

Here is a link to a larger version of that image.
    http://www.jazzeddie.f2s.com/images/Hoffnung angel40.jpg
  • You’re very kind :smiley:
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    edited February 28
    A couple of notes:
    1. clicking the quote option within Safari on the latest iOS doesn’t do anything unless one holds and uses the option Open in New Tab.
    2. The only options above the posting window on the same are bold, italics and a drop down for quote, code and spoiler.
    Edited to add: I am incorrect on note 1. The click does work, but the page does not automatically scroll down to the posting window. This is not added as a complaint, but for awareness.
    I mentioned this on the New Ship forums launch… thread a couple of days ago, but I don't think it got answered. Do higher resolution versions of the old 'standard' avatars exist? If so might we have access to them? Mine looks fine as a thumbnail, but not great on my profile page (Oh and BTW is anyone going to do anything about that speck of dust on the ship's bell? :mrgreen: )
    http://www.jazzeddie.f2s.com/images/Hoffnung angel40.jpg
    Larger version. Profile pic should be 250 x 225. The software reduces it to the thumbnail
    A couple of notes:
    2. The only options above the posting window on the same are bold, italics and a drop down for quote, code and spoiler.
    That's the default for mobile devices. Space constraints have limited what options we could include.
    A couple of notes:
    1. clicking the quote option within Safari on the latest iOS doesn’t do anything unless one holds and uses the option Open in New Tab.
    A couple of notes:
    That's the default for mobile devices. Space constraints have limited what options we could include.
    A couple of notes:

Fair enough. Though I would note that means links posted will be bare. No hiding within the text. And that will be messy.
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    How do you discard a post if you think better of it? It seems that if I write some nonsense, browse away from the thread, and then come back, my nonsense is still there :open_mouth: .

• And I've managed to sort out the avatar. Coo! Easy to use, or what? Nice font, too.
  • ChelleyChelley Shipmate
    Would it be possible to have the larger version of my profile pic? I haven’t got the original now and my saved one from the profile is blurry.
    Did try taking a new pic (still of boots of course) on my mobile but it says too large to upload! There’s an alternative question there - how do I change that?
    rufiki wrote: »
    How do you discard a post if you think better of it? It seems that if I write some nonsense, browse away from the thread, and then come back, my nonsense is still there :open_mouth: .

1. Save your draft.
    2. Go to "drafts" folder
    3. Click on draft
    4. Click on tiny near-invisible cross at top right
    5. Preview psot is even more your fiend on these boards.
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    Thanks @Eutychus!
  • BroJamesBroJames Shipmate
    edited February 28
    [Deleted post because I was repeating myself. Software unfamiliarity rather than senility (I think :flushed: )]
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Where do we ask about the font?

I am dyslexic and fonts which are sans serif make boards much more accessible for me. This one is far from the worst I’ve come across, but it is harder and more tiring for me to read.
  • magicroundaboutmagicroundabout Administrator
    edited February 28
    Hi @Boogie,

I'm the developer that helped make and style the forums. Thanks for this feedback.

We had some discussion about readability of the font, but dyslexia (sadly) never came up.

I'm definitely keen to address the accessibility issues that arise on the site, so I'll add this to the list and hope we can fix it soon.

As an option in the meantime, can I ask: do you ever use browser extensions to change styling on websites? Is that something you'd be open to trying?
  • Finding the font quite difficult myself but hoping I will adjust. Thanks for posting that, Boogie.
  • @Lily Pad Is it just the main text font that's tricky? Are the buttons and menus OK?
  • I haven't really looked at the main things - it is the jumpiness of the text in the font of the discussions. For instance, on my screen - old computer using Chrome - the word "tricky" has the letter "i" and "c" so close together that it looks like a different word. This is in many many of the letter combinations - difficult --- the f's are combining with the second i and readability - the ili combinations bear a strong look again to figure it out. It feels like I am reading one of those memes where they say you are really smart if you can still read it despite the shifts of letters to numbers. :
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Hi @Boogie,

I'm the developer that helped make and style the forums. Thanks for this feedback.

We had some discussion about readability of the font, but dyslexia (sadly) never came up.

I'm definitely keen to address the accessibility issues that arise on the site, so I'll add this to the list and hope we can fix it soon.

As an option in the meantime, can I ask: do you ever use browser extensions to change styling on websites? Is that something you'd be open to trying?

Yes I would, and thank you :smile:

• Boogie wrote: »

Yes I would, and thank you :smile:

OK, would you mind telling me what web browser you are using? If you know that piece of information?

• goggog Shipmate
    Would it be possible please to have a "mark as read" that would do all the boards/categories at once, rather than having to go through each one in turn - especially if not wanting to read all the threads on each one.
  • Not urgent, but wondering if there will be a permalink to the old boards somewhere, and as an extension of that, if there’ll be a link within boards to their previous incarnations - particularly Glory, for example.

It looks very pretty, and seems easy enough to use (although I did post on a thread earlier, but then it turned out to have been posted on another thread that I didn’t even think I’d opened. Maybe it was the auto save draft thing that seems to happen and maybe I clicked to another screen without knowing it and assumed I was still on the Welcome Aboard thread.
  • OK. Per my post regarding links on mobile. If you think sigs take up space, you have not paid attention to the lengths of hyperlinks. Some can be massive. If you think people are going to learn, and use properly, UBB hyperlink coding, you have not paid attention on the old site.
    And I predict a fair number of posters will not figure out how to embed their links inside of text on the desktop either.
    OK. Per my post regarding links on mobile. If you think sigs take up space, you have not paid attention to the lengths of hyperlinks. Some can be massive. If you think people are going to learn, and use properly, UBB hyperlink coding, you have not paid attention on the old site.
    And I predict a fair number of posters will not figure out how to embed their links inside of text on the desktop either.

I think they should get draconian. Fuck up the hyperlink, we delete your post.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    OK. Per my post regarding links on mobile. If you think sigs take up space, you have not paid attention to the lengths of hyperlinks. Some can be massive. If you think people are going to learn, and use properly, UBB hyperlink coding, you have not paid attention on the old site.

I think they should get draconian. Fuck up the hyperlink, we delete your post.

Then no one uses hyperlinks, but quote vast swaths of text which get deleted.