Fuck this fucking virus with a fucking farm implement.

Comments

• KarlLB wrote: »
    It's just a game. It Doesn't Matter.

Not to you, perhaps. To many many others their football team constitutes a fundamental aspect of who they are, providing a sense of community, purpose and shared endeavour that is comparable to the role religion plays in other people's lives.

They still shouldn't be gathering like that, of course.

Sadly, given that the fuckwits concerned are Glasgow Rangers, this is religion (of the orange variety) playing its role in their lives.
    I'm wondering why no one has suggested that the SPFL react to the behaviour of Rangers fans by deducting points from them ... if the fan behaviour means that another team is crowned champion that would seem appropriate. If they can be kicked all the way down to the bottom of the league structure, a dozen points deducted shouldn't be that problematic.
  • I'd deduct points. I have no idea why that isn't being done.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    I thought that arresting all at the gatherings & fining them for breaking the law about numbers gathered together, then putting them into 10 or 14 day hotel quarantine (whatever the current limit is), for which they would be required to pay, would be an entirely reasonable solution.....
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    kingsfold wrote: »
    I thought that arresting all at the gatherings & fining them for breaking the law about numbers gathered together, then putting them into 10 or 14 day hotel quarantine (whatever the current limit is), for which they would be required to pay, would be an entirely reasonable solution.....

Too many of them.

Too many of them.

They could put them in tents on the pitch at Ibrox.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    KarlLB wrote: »

Too many of them.

I think the problem would be the manpower for the arrests in the first place.

Too many of them.

Generally, the police deploy several officers to make a single arrest (though, they could then go back to arrest someone else). So, arresting all of those people would need a very large number of officers ... who would then be exposed to the coronavirus if any of the people they arrest are infected. Which would make the potential super-spreader event even worse, rather than just the "fans" but also a lot of police officers as well. Taking photos of everyone there would be possible, instructing them to self-isolate for 10 days, and then issuing the maximum fines to all of them for both the gathering on Sunday and any subsequent breaches of the self-isolation instructions.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate

Too many of them.

Generally, the police deploy several officers to make a single arrest (though, they could then go back to arrest someone else). So, arresting all of those people would need a very large number of officers ... who would then be exposed to the coronavirus if any of the people they arrest are infected. Which would make the potential super-spreader event even worse, rather than just the "fans" but also a lot of police officers as well. Taking photos of everyone there would be possible, instructing them to self-isolate for 10 days, and then issuing the maximum fines to all of them for both the gathering on Sunday and any subsequent breaches of the self-isolation instructions.

Shame, though I'd settle for the photo & isolate option as a practical alternative. But making them pay financially for quarantine as well had a certain attraction.
  • Generally, the police deploy several officers to make a single arrest (though, they could then go back to arrest someone else). So, arresting all of those people would need a very large number of officers ... who would then be exposed to the coronavirus if any of the people they arrest are infected.

In my darker moments, I have visions of treating these virus-spreading idiots as dangerous wild animals, and shooting them with tranquilizer darts.
  • The police probably share those visions, but, alas, the law...
    :grimace:
  • Marvin the MartianMarvin the Martian Admin Emeritus
    Ruth wrote: »
    I don't understand the shared endeavor Marvin talks about - I watched my team win the championship last year, and it was awesome, but I didn't share in the endeavor. They did all the work, and I just sat on my ass and drank beer and cheered. OK, I was standing when the final out was called and they won. Still not a contribution to the endeavor.

Football fandom is more than just passively (or even excitedly) watching the game. The atmosphere generated by the fans is well documented as providing a psychological boost for their team - it's the primary reason why home advantage is, well, an advantage. The fans in the ground really are taking part in the game, even if they're not on the pitch.

There's also a form of "our champions shall battle yours" going on, though it's somewhat lessened now that very few players indeed turn out for their hometown club.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    I don't understand the shared endeavor Marvin talks about - I watched my team win the championship last year, and it was awesome, but I didn't share in the endeavor. They did all the work, and I just sat on my ass and drank beer and cheered. OK, I was standing when the final out was called and they won. Still not a contribution to the endeavor.

Football fandom is more than just passively (or even excitedly) watching the game. The atmosphere generated by the fans is well documented as providing a psychological boost for their team - it's the primary reason why home advantage is, well, an advantage. The fans in the ground really are taking part in the game, even if they're not on the pitch.

There's also a form of "our champions shall battle yours" going on, though it's somewhat lessened now that very few players indeed turn out for their hometown club.

That makes sense. This is less of a thing in baseball -- homefield advantage in baseball derives from the structure of the game more than from the presence of fans, and it was actually stronger in 2020 without fans than it usually is.

I do understand wanting to experience the game and celebrate with other fans. I normally would have watched every game of the World Series in a sports bar packed full of screaming Dodgers fans, and watching from home with just my boyfriend, who supports the wrong team, wasn't even close to being the same. But I did the sensible thing and stayed home.
  • There's also a form of "our champions shall battle yours" going on, though it's somewhat lessened now that very few players indeed turn out for their hometown club.

It's been "our mercenaries shall battle yours" for almost two decades now, and why it more or less comes down to which owner (also usually having zero connection with the city concerned) has the deepest pockets.

This is not to deny the skill and passion shown on the pitch. But it doesn't instil any great loyalty.
  • Marvin the MartianMarvin the Martian Admin Emeritus
    That makes sense. This is less of a thing in baseball -- homefield advantage in baseball derives from the structure of the game more than from the presence of fans, and it was actually stronger in 2020 without fans than it usually is.

I guess in American terms it would be more like how football crowds get really loud when the away team is on third down, because it makes it harder for the QB to call the play and thus helps the home team.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Screaming hometown crowds really matter at basketball games too. In baseball games home field advantage is more about knowing the ballpark, as they're all different, batting last, and sleeping in your own bed the night before. The players say they really missed the fans last year, though; they found it harder to get excited about the games in empty stadiums.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    My friend’s husband died last night of Covid19 after being on a ventilator for three weeks. He was 40 years old, fit and with no underlying conditions.

This is not over yet. Be careful everybody. :cry:
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    {{{{{{Everyone}}}}}}}
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    So sorry to hear that, @Boogie 🕯.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    I'm so sorry to hear that @Boogie .
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    So sorry, Boogie. 40 is far too young. :cry:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Boogie, I'm so sorry and so sad for your friend.
  • Oh @Boogie, that’s much too young.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Just when we thought the AZ vaccine was safe again, up pops an irrefutable link to a dangerous clot - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56452412
  • :lol:

Maybe this time the vaccine will disperse the Clot?

IYSWIM...
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Given that anecdata suggests that one gets a worse reaction from the jab if one has had the Dread Disease, it might knock him off our screens for the weekend.
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    Rushing off to light a candle.....
  • One useful reaction (and I haven't heard that this has ever happened) might be the loss of the haystack he wears on his head.

What other *world leader* (as he likes to picture himself) looks such a scruffbag? O the shame...even Kim Jong-Un looks neat and tidy, despite a rather odd haircut...
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    even Kim Jong-Un looks neat and tidy, despite a rather odd haircut...
    And don't forget fat. Kim Jong-Un is fat!
  • It's always such a good look for a leader when their people are starving.
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    The Beano drew him the other week with a blonde mop that completely covered his eyes.
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    Sounds like a lot of mainland Europe is going into another lockdown wave. BBC news report
  • I felt a shudder, when I saw that, 3rd wave. Can the UK keep it out. Fast forward to September and Boris is saying, reluctantly, we have to lock down.
  • Is this how it's going to be for the foreseeable future?

God have mercy on us all.
  • Multiple waves is the pattern of contagious disease. In this case, the increasing infection rates in Europe seem to be due to the variant that appeared in SE England after the UK government let the virus run wild. Which is what the UK has been dealing with for the last few months, so it probably won't be the immediate cause of a further wave of infection here. The risk for the UK at the moment is complacency over vaccination - a belief that once all the most vulnerable have had the vaccine the job is done. If the vaccine induced reduction in transmission (a combination of both the inherent effectiveness of the vaccines, the effectiveness to different variants, and the proportion of the population vaccinated) is too small then the virus will continue to circulate, even if the vaccine reduces transmission in the UK there'll still be virus circulating from international travel. The virus in circulation risks an increase in covid19 as the vaccine effectiveness wanes (unknown when - possibly as little as 6 months after second dose) which will impact the most vulnerable as they're the first to be vaccinated, and also risks the evolution of variants that the vaccine isn't as effective against.

The job isn't done until enough people globally have been vaccinated that the virus is being suppressed globally. Until everyone is safe, none of us are safe.
  • If and when I ever get vaccinated (it's slow here) and there's a politician and the media hovering, and the politician does a thumbs up to me I'm giving them the finger. Because I'm in a sour foul mood about these constipated wingnuts continuing to practice that speciality of "political medicine".
  • If and when I ever get vaccinated (it's slow here) and there's a politician and the media hovering, and the politician does a thumbs up to me I'm giving them the finger. Because I'm in a sour foul mood about these constipated wingnuts continuing to practice that speciality of "political medicine".

I don't blame you - but be careful! If No-Pity Patel has her way, it'll be classed as an *illegal protest*, and you'll end up in Jug...
    :grimace:
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    Only if he moved from Canada to the UK and did it there.
  • Only if he moved from Canada to the UK and did it there.

Yes, of course. I was forgetting...!

Mind you, with our shiny new *Global Britain*, who knows? We've just bought an equally shiny new aircraft carrier, to wave at other countries...
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    Well, fuck. I have Covid-19. The cough is the worst. Spent eight hours in a Seattle emergency room and was approved for the Federal government's experimental drug cocktail that donald trump got. So, that's good. Very, very weak.
    Unfortunately, I was given erroneous medical information from supposed medical "professionals" and exposed my two future roommates to it...and now they have it. Too tired to type anything else. Love to everyone here. I meant that. Even Rook, who never liked me.
  • I'm so sorry. The drug cocktail sounds good and hospital medics are now much better at treating and getting patients through C-19 than a year ago. 🕯
  • Praying for you @The5thMary
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    Thanks, The Organist and questioning. I appreciate all prayers and well-wishes.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sorry to hear that @The5thMary, but hoping the cocktail of drugs works well for you too. Fingers and toes firmly crossed.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    We are all thinking of you.
  • Praying for you 🕯
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Get better soon
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Thinking of you @The5thMary .
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Adding my prayers for you @The5thMary.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    Prayers from me too @The5thMary
  • DooneDoone Shipmate