Are Things Getting Weird, or were they Weird Already

Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
Besides the COVID, we have had three supermoons, a very large meteor shower, several "cold" tornadoes in the area--they are called cold because they were not associated with warm fronts as is seen in the Midwest, a very large earthquake in a remote area about 150 miles away which we felt followed by several smaller aftershocks, steady rain for a week, a lot of wind as well.

Last night, around 00:01 there was a sudden flash in the sky. An exploding meteor. And then, low and behold, at 01:35 I suddenly woke up to something outside. Three minutes later, there was a crash in the back yard. What the hell was that? I looked out and my backyard was completely covered by a large willow tree that fell down from my neighbor's property. The pictures are astounding! Missed one shed, destroyed 1/3 of a fence, crushed a small pine tree, and obliterated another shed.

Next month there will be a lunar and solar eclipse, both of which will be in the Southern Hemisphere.

But I had to ask my wife, what else could go wrong? Maybe a volcano blowing its top? Wife reminded me that happened about 40 years ago.

We do live in interesting times.

Comments

• W HyattW Hyatt Shipmate
    It would be weird if things never got weird (;-).
  • What else could go wrong? There's always Yellowstone. :neutral:
  • edited May 23
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Maybe a volcano blowing its top?
    Rincón de la Vieja
    periodic phreatic explosions at Rincón de la Vieja continued to be recorded by the seismic network and webcams during 13-19 May

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The volcano Eyjafjallajökull was ten years ago and it was very weird indeed.

No planes in the sky, a weird sky for ages, everyone who was abroad stuck there. My son was in Switzerland and needed to get home for an import university exam. Nail biting times!
  • Not just nail-biting, or interesting, but clearly THE END TIMES™!!
    :fearful:
  • You need to remember that at any time there are about 20 volcanoes that are actively erupting somewhere in the world. "Actively erupting" not meaning "blowing their top", but involving significant releases of pressurised gases which may be accompanied by ash or lava - though even something like the Yellowstone caldera with regular steam excursions wouldn't be counted as actively erupting.

For the whole time I was in Fukushima, Azuma Kofuji, about 15km from where I was living, was closed to the public because it was actively erupting.
  • CactusCactus Shipmate Posts: 6
    Apparently the earth's magnetic field may be weakening over South Atlantic, leading to satellite malfunction
    https://www.wionews.com/world/earths-magnetic-field-weakens-satellites-and-spacecrafts-malfunction-300316
  • Be prepared, people - REPENT! REPENT!
  • No, we don't need to be prepared. We need to be ALERT.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    From the plot summary of the 1855 operetta "Trafalgar sur un volcan" by Jaques Offenbach:
    "Although Napoleon’s army has been beaten by the British, two French naval officers still hold the city of Dublin under their control...[they]...have barricaded themselves inside a big powder keg and are threatening to blow it up as soon as there is any sign of resistance in the city. This in turn would cause the volcano looming underground to erupt and lay everything to ruins."

If it can happen in Dublin, it can happen anywhere.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Firenze wrote: »
    From the plot summary of the 1855 operetta "Trafalgar sur un volcan" by Jaques Offenbach:
    "Although Napoleon’s army has been beaten by the British, two French naval officers still hold the city of Dublin under their control...[they]...have barricaded themselves inside a big powder keg and are threatening to blow it up as soon as there is any sign of resistance in the city. This in turn would cause the volcano looming underground to erupt and lay everything to ruins."

If it can happen in Dublin, it can happen anywhere.
    I'm sure there would be plenty of people belonging to various groups based in belfast or round about who would be happy to oblige.

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Boogie wrote: »
    The volcano Eyjafjallajökull was ten years ago and it was very weird indeed.

No planes in the sky, a weird sky for ages, everyone who was abroad stuck there ...
    We were on holiday in Orkney when Eyjafjallajökull blew; we drove back to Edinburgh and were supposed to fly to Stansted a couple of days later. Although our flight was still appearing on Easy-jet's website, it was plainly not going anywhere.

We ended up hiring a car and driving south: we had to be back in Canada by the next weekend as the service on the Sunday was being attended by the Princess Royal. Apparently she had made contingency plans for getting there involving an aircraft carrier; David wondered if we could have hitched a lift, as without him the service wouldn't have had any music ... :smiley:
  • Eyjafjallajökull was only ten years ago? Seems longer. I was sort of grateful to it, as I had never been to the Azores. My flight from Glasgow to Toronto was diverted there, so we saw a little of that beautiful place flying in and out.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    We were on holiday in Orkney when Eyjafjallajökull blew; we drove back to Edinburgh

I'd like to see the car in question...
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Speaking of things getting weird, let's not forget the Murder Hornets!
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    When I refer to a volcano blowing its top, I was referring to Mt. St. Helens which blew her top 40 years ago. About 1/3 of the mountain disappeared within minutes. Technically, it was an explosive eruption. When the Cascade volcanoes erupt, they are usually explosive. St. Helens is still quite active; but there are several others that are also considered dangerous.
  • W HyattW Hyatt Shipmate
    Re. Mt. St. Helens, see https://xkcd.com/2308/
    edited May 24
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »
    We were on holiday in Orkney when Eyjafjallajökull blew; we drove back to Edinburgh

I'd like to see the car in question...
    OK - with a boat trip en route ... :mrgreen:

We could see the ash-cloud in the sky as it sort of followed us on our way, and there was a fairly thick layer on the car.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Things were always weird, just in different ways. Your 'normal' was someone else's 'weird'.

This is how I understand passages like Mark 13 when the disciples are asking about signs of the end. Jesus essentially answers, "Eh, shit's always going to get weird. Be ready, be faithful."
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    edited May 24
    It gets worse. Clearly the leader of the world, machinating for One World Government™ , is Jacinda Ardern, popular, left-leaning, and permitting churches to open only with controlled numbers and government-held contact tracing details. She is an unmarried mother and a former Mormon, so clearly godless, evil and the Antichrist.

The English numerical value of her full name is 227. If you subtract 5 from 227, one third of 666. Five, of course, is the number of yeears that the city of Nephihah stood before being taken by Ammoron, brother of Amalickiah, the Ammoron, as recorded in the Mormon Annals of Alma (59:5-12) but this is a demonic distraction. The real significance of the number 5 is that it resembles the serpent of Moses, and that the Ten Commandments are divided into two sets of five, and if you have them on the wall of your courts and schools and toilets you will be saved by the Orange Servant of God and his minions angels. And of course "5" represents grace in Hebrew numerology and if you subtract grace you get anti-grace which is BAD.

The figure 1/3, indicates clearly that the evil Kiwi One Third of the AntiChrist ALLIANCE is entering into a satanic pact with Katrín Jakobsdóttir and Zuzana Čaputová (trust me on the alphabetical numerology ... I know these things) to reverse-emulate the Holy Trinity in a satanic trinity of witchcraft which will attempt to build the 3rd Temple in Jerusalem and force all Christians to worship a large yonnic statue, clearly prefigured in the craters of Eyjafjallajökull and Whakaari, whose eruptions were a portent and a warning from God which you have hitherto ignored. While there are no volcanoes in Finland one will suddenly erupt spewing Vikings' remains across one third of the sky as foretold in Revelation 9:18.

Things are getting weird but it was four told and you are been warmed.

[Edit: the devil tried to trick me into a typo]
    PS ... there was an earthquake in the southern part of the North Island of New Zealand this morning. Another sign.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Preach it Brother.

Put that on the right website and you could find yourself out earning the self-proclaimed bishop and his minions. :wink:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Are you quite well Zappa? Not yet the start of winter and your mind is wandering along strange paths. I wonder quite what that YEC maths teacher at a North Island school (IIRC) and formerly on the Ship would have thought of your biblical interpretations.
    What else could go wrong? There's always Yellowstone. :neutral:

When Yellowstone goes the ash will go east. Oddly, the Pacific Northwest will likely survive it.

I used to live in Southern Idaho. I remember a map that showed the movement of the Yellowstone Caldera from what is now South EasternOregon/ Northwestern Nevada through Southern Idaho to where it is now. Even today, there are still fissures in that area that will become active. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_hotspot
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited May 25
    Zappa wrote: »
    Things are getting weird but it was four told and you are been warmed.

[Edit: the devil tried to trick me into a typo]

Please tell me this was on purpose.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Z--

{Shakes shiny keys to break Z's trance.}

Here, look at the Zen Cam of the pretty Moon Jellyfish.

See? Pretty!
    ;)
  • Another one to watch is Campi Flegrei. When that goes it'll make the 79AD eruption of nearby Vesuvius seem like a small family firework display.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Golden Key, sincerely, thank you for that.. I needed something simple and beautiful. This has been a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day -to steal from Judith Viorst.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    What else could go wrong? There's always Yellowstone. :neutral:

When Yellowstone goes the ash will go east. Oddly, the Pacific Northwest will likely survive it.

I used to live in Southern Idaho. I remember a map that showed the movement of the Yellowstone Caldera from what is now South EasternOregon/ Northwestern Nevada through Southern Idaho to where it is now. Even today, there are still fissures in that area that will become active. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_hotspot

As I understand it if Yellowstone goes we're all pretty screwed, it's just a matter of choking to death in hours or days vs starvation in months or years.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    No, we don't need to be prepared. We need to be ALERT.

Exactly. The world needs more Lerts. They’re adorable little creatures and much undervalued in these strange times. I’d willingly adopt one myself, only with two dogs and a cat, our house is getting a tad crowded.

• Presumably Lerts don't get on well with those Round Tuits.
  • Such fauna are now being corralled here, @Baptist Trainfan!
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    {{{{{{{Huia}}}}}}}
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Presumably Lerts don't get on well with those Round Tuits.

They don’t. However, if you have transport available, we have some a grees over in Heaven in need of a friendly kennelmate.

Oh, and the 17-year cicadas will be coming out in the Deep South this year. They are loud, they swarm all over the place, they have sex and lay their eggs, then die. It is a big mess when they come out.
    @Zappa, dear, I can't work out if you've had too much GIN or not enough. :mrgreen:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 25
    Hmm. Difficult to say, I agree.

FWIW, I thought that post from @Zappa was the funniest thing I've read on these boards for some time...
    *notworthy*

...and so TRUE...
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Wonderfully bonkers, @Zappa, I needed a giggle this afternoon (we sure haven’t got much to smile about in the UK at the moment 😡)!
  • Yes, but it's scary to think that stuff not unlike that is spewed out by lunatic 'preachers' like Kenneth Copeland (he of the daemonic eyes)...
    :scream:
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Oh, and the 17-year cicadas will be coming out in the Deep South this year. They are loud, they swarm all over the place, they have sex and lay their eggs, then die. It is a big mess when they come out.

Are they edible ?
  • I don't see why not, most insects are. Locusts are tasty (though, they don't taste like chicken).
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited May 26
    They are, one woman brought a tray of them (fried) to my work on a never-to-be-forgotten day BEFORE I started there. (Thank goodness, and beware of missionaries.)
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Z--

{Shakes shiny keys to break Z's trance.}

Here, look at the Zen Cam of the pretty Moon Jellyfish.

See? Pretty!
    ;)

hhmph

(and it's okay, @mousethief - I've taken one of the little purple pills now)
  • We don't get raccoons and bluejays where I live. We have seen both this spring. I wonder how large a trap I need for one of these giant rats.

The blue jay is kind of pretty, but I watched it bully a whisky jack, so it's not welcome.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    We don't get raccoons and bluejays where I live. We have seen both this spring. I wonder how large a trap I need for one of these giant rats.

The blue jay is kind of pretty, but I watched it bully a whisky jack, so it's not welcome.

Bullin' the jack, eh?
    Never ate a cicada, but I have eaten African Red Locusts. Taste is a little spicy. Good source of protein,
  • Get accustomed to eating more of them. With population growth and growing appetite for animal protein driving prices up and causing ecological degradation, invertebrate protein is going to become increasingly - if not attractive - necessary. As early as 1980 I saw a recipe for what was playfully called "lice pilaf". It was, in fact, a variety of African termite. No, I haven't tried the pilaf - yet.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Termites are very tasty. They're a delicacy. You eat them when the tops of their mounds open and they fly. You fry them. I've eaten them.
  • yohan300yohan300 Shipmate
    We have cicadas in the UK too, although only in one forest in the south and they haven't been seen or heard for 20 years. However they also weren't seen from 1941 to 1961 so they could be due a reappearance soon. No doubt someone would claim such an event is a harbinger of a climate apocalypse or something.