Styx: Policy change: "big tent" / "portmanteau" threads

EutychusEutychus Shipmate
edited October 2021 in Limbo
In a tweak to our current practice, and partly in response to the discussion in the Styx relating to Epiphanies, henceforth we'll be discouraging broad, catch-all, "big tent" or "portmanteau" threads across all our forums.

General, "big tent" or "portmanteau" threads may have had the advantage of allowing space to explore around the edges of sub-topics without risking moving out of the "big tent", but have resulted in interesting discussions being lost in the big picture or some sub-topics dominating the discussion to the exclusion of others.

Some practical outcomes:

- We invite Shipmates to wind down posting on existing "big tent" threads. Don't be surprised to see more locked soon. Instead, start threads with a specific focus.

- Similarly, personal Hell calls are now going to have an expiry date to prevent them turning into "big tents". We're doing away with "permanent" threads with somebody's name attached.

- Any thread may naturally spawn tangents, and that's fine. But rather than allow them to turn a specific thread into a "big tent" thread, you can expect to see Hosts split tangents more frequently, and in some cases, split the tangent to a different forum.

- We invite anyone who wishes to continue with one of the specific topics previously raised on a legacy big tent thread to start a new, specific thread (you can of course include a reference back to a relevant post on the originating thread for clarity). If hosts don't think a new thread is in the right place, they'll move it accordingly.

(For the avoidance of doubt, moving and splitting threads don't in and of themselves imply a sanction).

These changes are part of an ongoing rethink. We haven't finished thinking, but we're keen to make some practical adjustments as of now, and allow some of the discussion that was cut short to resume in this adjusted environment. Have at it.

Eutychus, for the SoF admin team

Comments

• DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    This seems good.
  • An excellent idea, and I hope it works well.

Some of the big tent threads are, to say the least, confusing to Bears Of Very Little Brain...such as me.
    :wink:

• Apart from long-running calls to Hell, I don't understand how to tell if an existing thread is a big tent thread. For example (in both Purgatory and Hell) are the Trump threads big tent threads? The Coronavirus threads? If those aren't big tent threads, could you give some examples?
  • Ah, never mind. I see that big tent threads now have alerting host posts.
  • Miss Amanda, too, is stumped by what "big tent thread" means. Also "portmanteau thread". But she's going to be spending more time in her stateroom, as tempers are beginning to flare on desk.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    A solution in search of a problem.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    To take an example that's not currently active (so, I won't be treading on any toes!) which illustrates how we came to end up with 'big tent' threads.

When I started hosting Purgatory 20 years ago (yikes!) we'd have a dozen or so active threads on subjects like "was 'day' 24h long?", "how could X organ evolve? this disproves evolution", "why don't people carbon date fossils?" etc. Sometimes these threads would run for a few weeks and get hundreds of posts, sometimes they'd simply sink without anyone posting a reply, sometimes someone had asked an almost identical question two days before and the hosts would copy the OP and any replies onto the slightly older thread and close the new one. At the time we deleted old threads from Purgatory weekly, and so the 50 or more threads that hadn't been posted on for a couple of weeks got deleted (a small number went to Limbo if really worthwhile), which meant that the same question could often be discussed half a dozen times a year. When we created Dead Horses this particular subject was sent there, and in part because the lower rate of posts meant threads could hang around longer we found that a couple of these threads tended to gather a lot of posts and the tangents slowly spread out into the big tent "Creation and Evolution" thread that was moved back to Purgatory last year where there'd be a series of posts on the meaning of the word 'day', then either after a hiatus or running partially parallel a discussion on some aspect of how an organ evolved.

It's almost impossible to follow more than 2-3 separate discussion threads in that sort of 'big tent', which isn't necessarily a problem on a slow moving thread or on a thread which is following rapidly changing news events. But on a thread that's ticking over fairly steadily you can get problems where someone goes off-line for a couple of days and comes back to find that the particular subject they'd been discussing has been replaced by something else, or where a more heated aspect of the broader subject suddenly erupts on a thread where someone had been sharing some more personal stuff that deserves a more gentle discussion style.

So, we're going to try and encourage a return to the practice of long ago and have lots more threads with much narrower focus. With the much lower rate of posting hopefully it will be easier to see if there's already a suitable thread on the narrow subject people want to discuss to reduce the number of duplicate threads compared to 20 years ago. We'll find out.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I've posted on the Oops Trump thread and the Coronavirus thread which are fairly obvious examples of big tent threads. It's not just a matter of length, but rather of various entwined topics under a general heading which does nothing to scope discussions.

Sure, there are cross-connections. There always are. The entwined topics can certainly be discussed separately and may benefit from that.
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Are 'big tent' and 'portmanteau' being seen as synonymous here, or are they two different types of thread?

Am I correct in understanding that, in future, thread topics must be far more specific and narrow? If this extends to all forums, what about the country-specific threads in AS? Right now, in the UK thread, for instance, UK people post about all sorts that's going on in their lives, and non-UK people also sometimes join in. It's incredibly broad, but how do you have casual chat threads if the topic has to be specific?
    fineline wrote: »
    Are 'big tent' and 'portmanteau' being seen as synonymous here, or are they two different types of thread?
    We couldn't agree on a term to describe the same type of thread - so we have 'big tent' for those who think in terms of covering lots of things, or 'portmanteau' for those who like fancy words for general. Take your pick which you prefer, they're the same thing.
    Am I correct in understanding that, in future, thread topics must be far more specific and narrow? If this extends to all forums, what about the country-specific threads in AS? Right now, in the UK thread, for instance, UK people post about all sorts that's going on in their lives, and non-UK people also sometimes join in. It's incredibly broad, but how do you have casual chat threads if the topic has to be specific?
    Good question. There may be exceptions where it doesn't make much sense to split things out. Though the regional threads have also spawned other threads at times anyway (most obvious the chat suggests a meet, then that is organised on a dedicated thread). We'll think about that one a bit more.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    Good question. There may be exceptions where it doesn't make much sense to split things out. Though the regional threads have also spawned other threads at times anyway (most obvious the chat suggests a meet, then that is organised on a dedicated thread). We'll think about that one a bit more.

I think Fineline has a good point about chat threads. Those threads, and the ever-popular TICTH :wink:, are usually a series of short discussions or comments, most of which aren't really worthy of a thread in their own right. But they're also not really problematic - people don't usually try and have significant serious discussion on them, and if they do, that can be split off into a new thread.

It's really the massive sprawly serious-discussion threads that aren't as functional as they could be, and absent a proper threaded interface, splitting them into small threads might be better.

There is a price to pay, though. At the moment, "all" the discussion about the current US President is corralled into one Hell thread and one Purg thread, so if you look at the thread index for Purg, you see a range of topics (right now, Police, racist statues, Covid-19, Trump, Biden, Autism, White privilege, etc., etc.)

@Barnabas62 suggested splitting the Trump thread into perhaps a double-handful of different threads. The next time Trump does something stupid, what are the odds that all the Trump threads will shoot up to the top of the Purg list, drowning out the other topics?

I suspect we'll have to let it run for a while and see what happens.
    Totally agree LC. I'm sure there will be a fair bit of 'suck it and see' going on.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    As the AS host, I maybe ought to put my tuppence-worth in about the country-specific threads. As Fineline says, they sometimes spawn Shipmeet threads, which run their own course; apart from that, each thread usually just runs for a calendar year, and is archived and replaced by a shiny new thread each January.

As for TICTH, it was relaunched in AS, IIRC, with the specific purpose of being able to sustain the odd tangent; I think we may have split off one that got rather long, but in general it's kept itself contained as a place for individual "rantlets", with provision for a modicum of support thrown in.

Both of these situations work for me; I'd be happy to hear any other views on the subject.
  • How does this relate to the XY thread, if at all?
  • EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    The XY thread in Epiphanies is a relevant example of a "big tent" thread, and everything said in the policy announcement about "big tent" threads here applies to it.
  • Miss Amanda, too, is stumped by what "big tent thread" means. Also "portmanteau thread". But she's going to be spending more time in her stateroom, as tempers are beginning to flare on desk.

oh bugger. I always enjoy your posts.
  • Eutychus wrote: »
    The XY thread in Epiphanies is a relevant example of a "big tent" thread, and everything said in the policy announcement about "big tent" threads here applies to it.

Are you now able to be a bit more explicit about why it was closed a few days before the announcement, and not given a ‘winding down’ order and left to break into other, more specific threads elsewhere, as happened with the other big tent threads? It seems it was more singled out - is that to do with the vision of Epiphanies? As it is, I’m still feeling in the dark as to whether, for example, a thread on male suicide would belong in All Saints, Epiphanies or Purgatory, especially if the Epiphanies guidelines are not to change.

Thanks.
    Re spin offs from the XY thread. Recognising the legitimate concerns expressed, and after examination, Purgatory Hosts are now confident that our current Purgatory Guidelines are sufficient to enable new spin off and more specific exploratory threads from the closed XY thread to thrive in the Purgatory forum. Anyway, I suggest you give it, and us, a try.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    While I can see the logic in this, I would advise a light hand here. Personally I like the way many threads ramble and shoot off in unpredictable ways. (Many years ago I remember a thread on something completely different becoming a discussion about which was most important in a novel: plot or character. A Host closed it, and started a new thread specifically on that topic. It was a sensible decision, but it killed the discussion.)
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    Purgatory and Purgatory-like discussions are the main ones that Hosts will have their eye on. They absolutely have the discretion to both spall off interesting tangents and cojoin related threads.
  • What do shipmates need to do to avoid having their grog stopped and being assigned to clean the scuppers? I've started a number of topics over time and wonder if any recent might transgress. Calling a thread "Amazon Grace" for example. Is this a "portmanteau" in this ruling? Though my understanding of "portmamteau" is more like inventing new words to represent concepts. Putting this together with "big tent", has me at a loss. https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/2610/amazon-grace-how-sweet-the-price
    Portmanteau, adj General or generalized

And, no the Amazon Grace thread isn't a generalised or 'big tent' thread, but an example of the sort of specific thread we're encouraging.
  • Wow. That's lit! If we're unsure shall we ask questions on this topic or would that turn this one into a Big Tent?

(If my understanding is developing in the right direction, I think I'm asking a recursive question and have answered myself.)
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    There is a price to pay, though. At the moment, "all" the discussion about the current US President is corralled into one Hell thread and one Purg thread, so if you look at the thread index for Purg, you see a range of topics (right now, Police, racist statues, Covid-19, Trump, Biden, Autism, White privilege, etc., etc.)

@Barnabas62 suggested splitting the Trump thread into perhaps a double-handful of different threads. The next time Trump does something stupid, what are the odds that all the Trump threads will shoot up to the top of the Purg list, drowning out the other topics?

I suspect we'll have to let it run for a while and see what happens.
    I have to admit, I wonder if we’re already paying a price. For the last few days when I come to the Ship (via the Recent Discussions. page), I see perhaps as many as six Trump threads on page 1, not counting the thread on the 2020 election. It’s frankly a bit overwhelming if that’s the right word, not to mention depressing to see “Trump” so many times. I fear it will only get worse as November draws closer.

And I’m finding that they all sort of run together, in the sense that I lose track sometimes of what posts were in which threads—especially since I’m seeing the same thing discussed in more than one thread.

But maybe it’s just me.

• @Nick Tamen

It's not just you.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Too much Trump. I like being able to avoid the one Trump thread. The new policy so far is a fail.
    edited June 2020
    Perhaps 8th Day needs to trial a stress topics board, to contain the topics currently most likely to be avoided to maintain mental wellbeing. We could nominate Trump & Covid for the next three months.

We could call it the Apocalypse board.
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    I would probably add British politics to that, for at least the rest of the year. (Particularly the impending event that starts with B ).
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Perhaps 8th Day needs to trial a stress topics board, to contain the topics currently most likely to be avoided to maintain mental wellbeing. We could nominate Trump & Covid for the next three months.

The US general election isn't till November, and covid will be with us well into next year at the very least!
  • Perhaps 8th Day needs to trial a stress topics board, to contain the topics currently most likely to be avoided to maintain mental wellbeing. We could nominate Trump & Covid for the next three months.
    From my perspective the issue isn’t one of avoiding the threads, although I can see it might be for some others. And I always start at the “Recent Discussion” page—I suspect many others do, too—rather than through individual forums, so I would see them regardless of which forums they’re in. I can choose not to click on ones I don’t want to read.

The question for me is whether 6+ active threads on Trump are better than one Purgatory thread and one Hell thread. I know the idea is that the new threads are supposed to be more narrowly focused, but I’m seeing the same things talked on multiple Trump threads.

I can see how it’s helpful to spin off tangents that take on lives of their own. But I find myself wondering if the “big tent” threads on subjects like Trump or Brexit or COVID-19 keep the boards on the whole from getting cluttered and harder to follow.

• Yeah, I agree @Nick Tamen.

When I think back over the years, some of the most memorable and interesting threads have been the big, long sprawling ones where conversation had meandered about around a lot of tangents. If the policy had been to break them up, then the Ship would have been poorer for it.

I understand the new policy, but I don’t think it’s a one-size-fits-all. It’s right to split some threads up; it’s right to leave some alone. I know that the H&A have already put a lot of thought into this, but I think deciding on a general policy of which threads to split, and leaving it to the discussion of the Hosts would be a better approach.
  • How about "Trump and the importance of chocolate"?
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host

Good idea.

💡

• mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited June 2020
    Perhaps we could sequester all the political threads in a new board. All the Trump threads, the Boris threads, the umpteen Brexit threads, the upcoming election threads, the occasional Canadian, Australian, New Zealander threads on politics. Give them their own board and let them be fruitful and multiply as they see fit. And we can call it "Render Unto Caesar."
    Ooh I like that title
  • I have no freakin' idea what this "big tent" kerfuffle is about. You aren't obliged to 'splain it to me, either. I only found out what a thumb drive is, yesterday. I am a long-time SoF reader. I visit only a few places, and I don't mix with the intellectual persons here. I wouldn't dare. Since the New SoF came about, I feel even more on the outskirts of the discussions. So, what's my point? If I'm very uncomfortable, then set me adrift. It is a nasty year we're having, socially, medically, church-wise, politically, and for me, elderly-wise. Make this place as good as you can. Bless all of you. Be kind. PB4S
  • A 'Big Tent' thread keeps it all in one place making it easy to avoid but that one thread on a topic gets unwieldy and it's hard to keep track of one aspect or argument within it. Many threads on related topics around one basic big issue may work but splitting T threads makes how they're divided an issue. Half a dozen is too many if created by hosts, it's a bit confusing knowing where to post and still dominates other topics in Purg.

I'd suggest having a labelled temporary sub-forum (within Purg) for each temporary 'big tent' issue. This allows normal purg not to be swamped but everyone knows where to go to discuss any aspect of that topic. This is is a bit like Dead Horses (or the stress topics idea), putting some issues aside but each broad issue is labelled and has its own space.
    edited June 2020
    It could be done with some sort of standard rule - split topics as planned, if there are more x live threads on a purg topic at any one time for more than y days, they go to the apocalypse board.
  • For those of us that browse via "Recent Discussions", extra boards don't make a difference.
  • For those of us that browse via "Recent Discussions", extra boards don't make a difference.

Good point. It would be nice if one could tick a box on a thread for "don't show me this in the recent discussions window". If one wanted to turn it off one could go find the thread on its board. If I ever write online discussion site software, that's what I'll include. Chances of my writing online discussion site software are as near zero as Zeno could wish.