Sarum rite Office Book

OrdoOrdo Shipmate Posts: 7
I am looking for an Anglican version of the Sarum Use Divine Office with decent sized print ! I just need the name and then I will search and buy it. I have THE HOURS OF PRAYER FROM LAUDS TO COMPLINE and SARUM DIURNAL and DAY HOURS (Mowbray), PRIME AND THE HOURS, but although they are all excellent diurnals they all have rather small print.
Does anyone know of a Sarum use diurnal with good print - a bit like the old Monastic Diurnal ?

Comments

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Not strictly Sarum, but might the Anglican Breviary suit you? The order page has some close-ups of the text but it's still hard to tell what font size is used.
  • OrdoOrdo Shipmate Posts: 7
    Thanks very much; the Anglican Breviary must be one of the "great" liturgical productions - along with the English Missal and I suppose the English Office.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Hardly. I'd have thought the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom and its settings beats anything we in the CofE have ever produced hands down.
    Ordo wrote: »
    Thanks very much; the Anglican Breviary must be one of the "great" liturgical productions - along with the English Missal and I suppose the English Office.
    That's as may be. But is it what you are looking for or have you already dismissed it for your purposes, for whatever reason?
    Enoch wrote: »
    Hardly. I'd have thought the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom and its settings beats anything we in the CofE have ever produced hands down.
    Now you're not comparing like with like. You could reasonably compare an Anglican Divine Office with a full Horologion, but ideally you would need to supplement it with the complete Menaion as well.

• PDRPDR Shipmate
    Lancelot Andrewes Press has reprinted the Monastic Diurnal, and Monastic Matins as two smallish volumes which are a lot easier to manipulate than the Anglican Breviary. Personally, I find the Monastic Diurnal very useful when travelling, or falling apart.
  • OrdoOrdo Shipmate Posts: 7
    Thank you all. Yes, it's really a good sized print of the Sarum office that I am looking for. The Monastic Diurnal is really good and it has good,clear print, unlike the other "Sarum style" Office books, as mentioned above. I just wondered if anyone knew of any others ?
  • CyprianCyprian Shipmate
    It isn't an Anglican edition, but there is a (very costly) edition of the Sarum office in multiple volumes, originally published under the auspices of the New York diocese of the Holy Synod of Milan, which later became the centre of The Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of North and South America and the British Isles. Importantly, it is complete - so often these books do not contain the music, which is very unhelpful.

Only two volumes seem to be available on Lulu at the moment but I'm sure they would be willing to supply the others.

Much of the material from the Office and Mass also seems to exist in the form of PDF scans from the actual books.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    PDR wrote: »
    Lancelot Andrewes Press has reprinted the Monastic Diurnal, and Monastic Matins as two smallish volumes which are a lot easier to manipulate than the Anglican Breviary. Personally, I find the Monastic Diurnal very useful when travelling, or falling apart.

Is the subject of the verbal clause "falling apart" you or the Monastic Diurnal?

Actually you don't need to answer as we can't do therapy on the boards, but I do love the English language.
  • PDRPDR Shipmate
    edited July 26
    Probably me. It usually happens when I have too much on between parish, diocese, and theological institute and someone then manages to add an external stress factor. At that point I switch to a far more structure lifestyle to organize my time better and prevent the falling apart. I don't think anyone stays in ordained ministry for 25 years without learning a thing or two, or three, or four about surviving spiritually and practically.
    @Ordo Just by chance I came across this post today which may be helpful to you.
    What on earth is going on in that picture? A couple simultaneously smooching and mutually assassinating while some nonchalant bystanders hold a curtain over their head. Just not working for me.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    And the red one is an angel?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Well, my curiosity was piqued - so here it is.
    well that's made my day - all rather beautiful, really