Events and festivals

It occurs to me that some of my shipmates might want to know about one another's events.

For Aberdeenshire people, this Saturday's come and sing of the Messiah in Doric is going to be a lot of fun. It's also free, which can't be bad right? I got my sheet music yesterday. I'm singing through the Doric to get the words into my head. Aa we lik sheep hiv gane agley...

Cattyish, Doric student since 1994.
Tagged:

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I wondered what you meant by "Doric" in that sense - now I see what you mean. Hope it goes well! :)
  • CattyishCattyish Shipmate
    Thank you Piglet!

I shall now further declare that I shall be singing various opera in this Haddo concert on the 24th of March. This one's ticketed, but if anyone wants a freebie we're looking for volunteers to serve booze during the interval. I've got my brother and my Dad and various friends coming. I know a couple of local folks might be interested, though they've probably seen this on social media already.

Cattyish, just needed to check it was ok to post all this.
  • On Sat 5th May the flute orchestra that I play in will be playing overseas.... on the Isle of Wight, at Osborne House. Exact timings have yet to be confirmed but I believe we are playing once in the morning and again in the afternoon. We've also got a gig at Carisbrooke Castle on the Sunday, but they will be playing without me. Here's hoping for pleasant weather as both gigs are open air.
    Completely flutes? All standard ones, or have you alto, tenor and bass ones as well? I saw a clip on Facebook a while back of some amazing-looking flutes with bends and twists that looked more like plumbing than musical instruments ... :grin:
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I was thinking of taking the flute up this year. I want one of those ones Piglet saw! :smile:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Completely flutes? All standard ones, or have you alto, tenor and bass ones as well? I saw a clip on Facebook a while back of some amazing-looking flutes with bends and twists that looked more like plumbing than musical instruments ... :grin:

yes, plumbing too - we have piccolos, c flutes ("standard"), alto, bass, contra bass (it really is made from drainpipes! We're saving for a silver one). We don't have a sub contra which has lots of bends in it. When I tried a contra I was surprised that I could easily get a note out of it, but I do prefer to hide in the back row with other c flutes!

I'd love to have the chance to try one of those. I'm a (very) lapsed flautist; I still have my old flute somewhere, and although I haven't touched it in years, I can't quite bring myself to part with it.

[tangent]
    I noticed on Facebook the other day that Orkney Islands Council were asking for no-longer-used musical instruments so that they would still be able to offer instrumental tuition, and the loan of instruments to children who couldn't afford them, and thought what a good idea it was. Whether I'd have given up my flute if I still lived there, I'm not so sure though ...
    [/tangent]
  • daisydaisy wrote: »
    On Sat 5th May the flute orchestra that I play in will be playing overseas.... on the Isle of Wight.

Probably a good thing we won't be on the Island till Autumn - Darllenwr has the "3 bears" - Mammy bear - alto, Daddy bear - bass - and Baby bear - concert.
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Maybe Darllenwr could have joined in :wink:

Our itinerary has been confirmed: Sat 5th May Carisbrooke Castle (11:45 & 2:15), Sun 6th Osborne House (12 & 2) and Mon 7th the Donkey Sanctuary (12 & 2:15). The latter persuaded me to take my Wheeled Tin Tent over for the whole weekend instead of just commuting to The Island for one day. Most of the orchestra are staying in a hotel, but I decided to rebel.
    You deliberately chose a caravan over a hotel? :astonished:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    You deliberately chose a caravan over a hotel? :astonished:

Considerably cheaper, plus I won't have to deal with the chef panicking about what I can't eat (not being able to give me rice, oats or dairy seems to send them into a bit of a spin) as I'll be able to self-cater. And above all I won't need to share a room.
  • My immediate thought was that hotels are not good at catering for allergies, or keeping the atmosphere allergen free.
    When you put it like that, it makes more sense.

I realise how lucky I am that the only things that have ever caused an allergic reaction in me were some eye ointment, cheap jewellery* and a nickel-plated flute.

* What a perfect excuse ... :wink: