Post Retrieval?

It just occurred to me that it would be helpful for a private matter for me to retrieve a specific post. I think that it was autumn 2019. I remember the substance of the post, I know that it was in Purg, but I couldn't tell you the thread header. The thread was of a political nature, as I went on at some length delivering a counterblast to an Episcopalian priest in Washington state about the current psychology of Russian projection of power and the irrelevance of the physical size of armies in modern warfare. Is its retrieval at all possible? How would I go about excavating the post? Or is it lost to the mists of time?

Thanks much.

Comments

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    PG, I had a quick look around, but haven't time right now to go through long threads. Might it have been one of these?

https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/3141/american-imperialism-and-colonialism-the-monroe-doctrine-and-their-spatial-nature

(old Ship)

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=2;t=020187

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005734;p=1

In my experience, nothing ever entirely vanishes in the Ship's memory vaults, you just have to be prepared to stare into the abyss until it deigns to stare back.
  • The more words you can remember using (especially if any of them are fairly unusual) then the smaller the number of results you'll get from the search function. It's a long way from the best search function but ... or, you can use a web search with the site specified. The post is almost certainly still there.
  • Thank you, ML, but those weren't them. However, I was shocked, as I scrolled, how many of those shipmates have disappeared.

Thank you, Alan, very good idea. There were unique words.
  • So, I did some digging. Am I right that the search option goes back only to March 2018? The post that I recall seems to be further in the past than I thought. Are my options exhausted?
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Try Google, or whatever search engine you usually use. Include “Pangolin Guerre” in your search, as well the name of the forum—Purgatory or whatever—and the distinctive words you’ve been searching for.

• I tried that, but you've just given me an idea....
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    So, I did some digging. Am I right that the search option goes back only to March 2018? The post that I recall seems to be further in the past than I thought. Are my options exhausted?

Don’t forget the new Ship only goes back to about March 2018... (technically February, but I think we went up on February 28 or something).

• EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    edited March 30
    To your search query, add the following exactly as written:

site:forums.shipoffools.com

or for the old Ship

site:forum.ship-of-fools.com

The "site" command restricts the search to the URL in question.

PS it may well also be that on the new Ship, your post has simply been deleted after a thread prune. So far as I know not all threads (and the posts they contain) are kept indefinitely these days.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited March 31
    I'll try it this way....
    Does anyone remember an Episcopalian priest who was posting for not very long - and for all I know, he may well be lurking - of a somewhat conservative disposition? When I say not very long, I mean only a few months. I'm pretty certain it was on the new ship, because I can't visualise what I wrote as being in the old font. We was from the American Pacific northwest - for some reason, Washington sticks in mind, but could have been Oregon. I think that If I did a Boolean search on our names I could isolate the post.

BTW, I do appreciate people actually paying attention to this thread. Thank you.
  • Vaguely, but too vaguely to come up with a name, I'm afraid...