will there ever be a name change amnesty on the Ship-II?

Asking because I ended up with an underscore_ because I didn't know how to put spaces in a user name when signed up, and was being far too cute with the Ø.

I'd go with just "no prophet" were it possible to change it.

Comments

• I suspect someone will come along with a proper answer later, but ... very early on someone changed their name from that on the old Ship when then enrolled here and asked to change it back. It was in the first week or so. That change resulted in big problems of numbering across the boards because the software didn't cope. I'm not sure if that is a glitch that the programmers have looked at and changed, or if it is an immutable feature.
  • With the previous software, users had two names - a user name and a display name - and the could change their own display names unless this was disabled in the control panel - when some people kept changing their displayed name several times a week and confusing everyone we routinely disabled this. A "name change amnesty" was a simple matter of enabling that feature for a limited period.

With this software users have a single name, everything associated with your registration is filed under your user name and that is what is displayed. We had some initial problems when people registered here with their old user name expecting to enter a different display name ... we did change some names, but it's a bit of work for the admins to do that each time (and, we'd very much prefer not to tinker with the personal data in individual user accounts).
  • when some people kept changing their displayed name several times a week and confusing everyone we routinely disabled this.

I've said I'm sorry.

(And yes, I was one of those who caused these problems)

• Marvin the MartianMarvin the Martian Admin Emeritus
    when some people kept changing their displayed name several times a week and confusing everyone we routinely disabled this.

I've said I'm sorry.

(And yes, I was one of those who caused these problems)

I always remembered it as being due to the way some posters changed their names to political slogans during the 2004 US election.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I changed my name once and immediately regretted it. I missed the Miss Amanda persona. I was glad of the opportunity to change it back, and have never been tempted again.

Actually, there appears to be a length limitation with the new software. I had to drop the punctuation after the "B" plus the final "e" in Amanda B. Reckondwythe. Thus, I'm now Amanda B Reckondwyth but I can live with that.
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    edited May 15
    I've just changed my name. I used to be Ricardus with the Classical Latin pronunciation. I'm now Ricardus with the Church Latin pronunciation.
    edited May 15
    Martial would be proud of you!

My translation:
    You want to be called Cinna, do you, Cinnamus?
    I ask you, Cinna, isn't that barbaric?
    By that logic, if your name was Furius,
    We'd have to call you Fur, now, wouldn't we?
    Actually, "If your name wath Thephen, we'd have to call you Thief" is closer to what Martial wrote, although I don't know if he lisped.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    The occasional permission to change names was fun. When I got to a significant number of posts - was it 10,000 I can't remember, everyone who wanted to was able to change their name to something musical.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Ricardus wrote: »
    I've just changed my name. I used to be Ricardus with the Classical Latin pronunciation. I'm now Ricardus with the Church Latin pronunciation.

I'm not sure there's any pronunciation difference with that particular name anyway...
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    It's spelled "Luxury Yacht" but it's pronounced "Throat-warbler Mangrove"
  • Also, you call this ship-II? This is ship-IV at least, depending on whether you want to include the original magazines.