Waste of Oxygen of the Day Award

DafydDafyd Hell Host
edited July 2022 in Hell
This thread is for venting about figures in public life who do not deserve their own thread. Please take sustained discussion elsewhere.

Today's candidate is George Osborne: the Guardian is reporting that he secretly lobbied Boris Johnson on behalf of Uber while he was Chancellor and Johnson was Mayor of London. Exactly how corrupt does one need to be before Uber concludes that lobbying Johnson directly would be more difficult.

Comments

• I want to nominate the congresswoman who keeps sending me emails thanking me for contacting her. I have no idea who she is, and have never sent her so much as an electronic wave.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    I want to nominate the congresswoman who keeps sending me emails thanking me for contacting her. I have no idea who she is, and have never sent her so much as an electronic wave.

Do you at least live in her district, or somewhere near?
  • stetson wrote: »
    I want to nominate the congresswoman who keeps sending me emails thanking me for contacting her. I have no idea who she is, and have never sent her so much as an electronic wave.

I don't even live in the US and half my spam folder is far right "news" sources, gun nut mail shots and campaign emails from every GOP lunatic wannabe from North Carolina to Georgia.
  • stetson wrote: »

No. She's a thousand miles away or more.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Group nomination - the empathy free hateful bleeders who've crept out of the social media woodwork to spew their bile against Mo Farah for being a victim of people trafficking.

What motivates these people? Do they run on pure vindictiveness?
  • edited July 2022
    KarlLB wrote: »

Yes = they are powered by hate-pumps.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    edited August 2022
    Can I pick Boris please or does that just go without saying?
  • He's history, or soon will be (The Great Old Ones be praised), but there are plenty of Wastes of Oxygen to replace that odious oaf.

Priti Patel is one - she insists (as does Bizzy Lizzy, Queen-in-Waiting) on her inhumane Rwanda scheme:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/25/home-office-planning-new-deportation-flight-rwanda
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Hugal wrote: »
    Can I pick Boris please or does that just go without saying?
    He has his own thread.

• So he does - a thread currently being enlivened by someone not unknown in this Nether Region...
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    While I personally enjoy the lucky dip feel of not knowing quite what the current tangent on any given thread will be about, the Ship does try to keep threads not too far off the ostensible subject.
  • KarlLB wrote: »

Yes = they are powered by hate-pumps.

I had the misfortune to encounter a report of a political rally featuring Donald Trump Jr the other day. He was talking, to loud cheers, about how they were going to "make the liberals cry".

I just don't get it.

Being motivated by defending your rights (whether or not that "right" is something I think you should have, or is reasonable) makes sense. Being motivated by improving things for some group of people you think are currently poorly treated? Makes sense.

Being motivated by upsetting the other people? You're a sociopath.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    So he does - a thread currently being enlivened by someone not unknown in this Nether Region...

Boris’ nether regions have been enlivened enough.
  • I beg to disagree - I'd enjoy kicking him in the nether regions from here to somewhere else, and back again.
  • Would you like to borrow my cricket spikes when I've finished with him, BF?

Obviously if we kick him there, we run the risk of kicking other people in the head at the same time...
    Liz Truss (who may get her own thread come 5th Sept) ... declaring that the "jury is out" on whether France is a friend or foe of the UK. Following in the tradition set by Johnson of Foreign Office ministers having no clue about diplomacy, nor awareness of who our allies are and who isn't.
  • Quite. As President Macron remarked, England has serious problems if unable to distinguish between *friend* and *foe* - two words which have (as enny fule except Fizzy Lizzy kno) very different meanings. I expect Fizzy Lizzy was cross because the French now control our borders...

@Sandemaniac - as to kicking Failed Leader down the road, that in itself would be a waste of oxygen, time etc. etc., and, as you rightly say, the innocent might be endangered. Not that Failed Leader is exactly a small target (let the reader understand).
  • Truss is pleasing her right wing with comments about Macron, well, about every thing. Whether she will continue like this as PM, dunno.
  • Yes, I think you're right - but it still doesn't bode too well for the (hopefully short) reign of Queen Elizabeth III.
    Truss is pleasing her right wing with comments about Macron, well, about every thing. Whether she will continue like this as PM, dunno.
    It's not a promising start that she thinks pissing off someone she will have to work with (if she becomes PM) is worth a few votes from the right wing of her party - especially as most of them have voted already and anything they say now won't make any difference.

How will Macron feel about meeting her as they discuss how the UK will build sufficient facilities for staff at Dover to check passports (once those facilities are there France can send more staff over), or what measures can be taken to get refugees on the north coast of France safely to the UK without criminal gangs profiting from sending them in small boats, or how to stop UK sourced pollution entering French waters, or the interconnection between the UK and France that's vital to electricity supplies, or how to work together for peace in Ukraine ...
  • I expect M Macron will take a leaf out of HIM Napoleon I's book, and will not interrupt his enemy/friend/ally (delete as appropriate) whilst she is making a mistake...
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I will nominate our current health secretary who was put in his place by a member of the public
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2022
    Yes, that was in the Noos the other day. Here's the Guardian's item:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/25/woman-confronts-steve-barclay-nhs-ambulances

I daresay another WoO will be along soon to complain about how rude it was for her to interrupt a tory minister whilst he was speaking...
  • WoO?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Waste of Oxygen (thread title).
  • Yes. Sorry - my bad.
  • Ah. Duh.
  • How will Macron feel about meeting her as they discuss how the UK will build sufficient facilities for staff at Dover to check passports (once those facilities are there France can send more staff over), or what measures can be taken to get refugees on the north coast of France safely to the UK without criminal gangs profiting from sending them in small boats, or how to stop UK sourced pollution entering French waters, or the interconnection between the UK and France that's vital to electricity supplies, or how to work together for peace in Ukraine ...

I'm afraid that you have severely misunderstood the imminent premiership of Ms Truss if you think those will be her priorities. She will want the refugees to stay in France or return home, not find them safe passage to the UK; pollution is only a problem if the French pollute Britain's pristine shores; and don't the French suck up to the Russians, as Charles de Gaulle did to the Soviets, in order to undermine NATO?
  • Have we awarded this to Truss and her entire cabinet yet? They are all a waste of everything.
  • Have we awarded this to Truss and her entire cabinet yet? They are all a waste of everything.

I think it might be only fair to wait until next week, by which time your assertion may well have been proved entirely True™.
    I propose a waste of oxygen award for mainstream news media. Anyone see any reporting of 1000s of people gathering for rallies across northern England this week under the banner "Enough is Enough"? Any reports of Manchester Cathedral so packed that they had to move the rally outside, or queues of people trying to get into St Georges Hall in Liverpool? If the news broadcasters aren't going to broadcast news then they're a waste of oxygen.
    edited September 2022
    But...but...THE QUEEN IS ILL!!!!
    :scream:

Surely that's the most important piece of news in the entire world? The silly antics of the saucy poor are of no moment at all...

(IRONY)
    Yes, well she had to endure Boris Johnson and Liz Truss on the same day. That's enough to make anyone ill.
  • :naughty:

I'd be inclined to put the blame on the former PM rather than the new one.
  • TelfordTelford Suspended
    edited September 2022
    I propose a waste of oxygen award for mainstream news media. Anyone see any reporting of 1000s of people gathering for rallies across northern England this week under the banner "Enough is Enough"? Any reports of Manchester Cathedral so packed that they had to move the rally outside, or queues of people trying to get into St Georges Hall in Liverpool? If the news broadcasters aren't going to broadcast news then they're a waste of oxygen.

I am confident that anyone keen to attend will be there
    I'm sure as thousands were. This isn't about advertising events, but spending the weekend reporting endlessly on how a few thousand middle class white men might vote for the Tory leader, while ignoring thousands of people pouring onto the streets of cities across the north of England calling for an end to the political choices of the current government to concentrate increasing wealth in the hands of a few and force the many into poverty. Why should a rich nation like the UK have half the children in large parts of the nation living in poverty? Why does mainstream media report endlessly on internal politics of one party and ignore the thousands who protests? Why were they showing the pointless hustings events held after the majority of the Tory Party had voted, and not the impassioned speeches of those standing up for the poor who are ignored by that same Tory Party?
  • Well, quite - but nothing - nothing - is more important than (a) the wealth of the tory party, and (b) the health of the Queen.

ION, 6.8 million people are awaiting NHS treatment (in England and Wales IIRC), the Ukrainians are making some headway in reclaiming parts of their country occupied by the Russians, drought has been declared over the whole of Wales...the list goes on.

At least the Guardian is still giving space on its website (the live news feed) to the energy crisis, and the government's response.
  • I'm sure as thousands were. This isn't about advertising events, but spending the weekend reporting endlessly on how a few thousand middle class white men might vote for the Tory leader while ignoring thousands of people pouring onto the streets of cities across the north of England calling for an end to the political choices of the current government to concentrate increasing wealth in the hands of a few and force the many into poverty. Why should a rich nation like the UK have half the children in large parts of the nation living in poverty? Why does mainstream media report endlessly on internal politics of one party and ignore the thousands who protests? Why were they showing the pointless hustings events held after the majority of the Tory Party had voted, and not the impassioned speeches of those standing up for the poor who are ignored by that same Tory Party?

The Conservative party has many female members and nobody in the current 4 great offices of state are white and male

• Today's Waste Of Oxygen award goes to the new Home Secretary, Cruella Braverman:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/10/revealed-suella-braverman-sets-home-office-no-boats-crossing-the-channel-target

Another minister whose grip on reality is pretty well non-existent.

I think it might be only fair to wait until next week, by which time your assertion may well have been proved entirely True™.

We are now a week later, and clearly I was understating the position.
  • Just so, and it's going to get worse...
    :scream:
  • Meanwhile, WoO of today is new health minister Coffey:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/15/coffey-urges-staff-to-be-positive-be-precise-and-not-use-oxford-commas

How good it is to know that our government has its priorities right...
    :unamused:
    Oh yes, the important business of government boosting profits for oil and gas producers, cutting caps on bonuses for bankers, and not using the Oxford comma.
    edited September 2022
    :lol:
  • Sounds like this is an "introduction to new minister" type document, which are pretty common, although the tone of this one seems a bit silly. The article linked lays the blame on some hapless minion rather than on the new minister herself.
    Ah, yes, the "Getting Tory Ministers Out of Trouble" playbook - "it's not that big an issue", "it's all been misunderstood", and if all else fails "blame a junior member of staff".
  • Ah, yes, the "Getting Tory Ministers Out of Trouble" playbook - "it's not that big an issue", "it's all been misunderstood", and if all else fails "blame a junior member of staff".

Oh yes - they're going to blame a minion independent of whether the minister was involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/15/coffey-urges-staff-to-be-positive-be-precise-and-not-use-oxford-commas

How on earth do we deserve this individual? Aaah I know a chum of Liz so it's the Liz and Tiz show (thanks Grauniad). Another Oxford educated posho with a silly grin and a hatred of oppressed people

How on earth do we deserve this individual? Aaah I know a chum of Liz so it's the Liz and Tiz show (thanks Grauniad). Another Oxford educated posho with a silly grin and a hatred of oppressed people

Not worth the O2 she breathes in and we could do without the CO2 she breathes out.
  • Going to nominate our local Hayes Travel Agent. They are offering trips to Eurodisney. Not without a time machine it has been Disneyland Paris for over two decades. I can understand the ordinary person in the street saying that but not professional travel agents. They should get it correct.