Mary Elizabeth Truss

Now, I may be wrong but I think we're gonna need this thread for a while.

Please God, let it be a short thread!!

Comments

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    What I find so disappointing is she had such a fantastic upbringing with socially involved parents who introduced her to lots of progressive causes. The venom in her voice when she talked about those causes in a radio 4 interview was quite audible. By all accounts her father is heartbroken.
  • Yes. What evil right-wing worm got into her brain, and when - and who put it there?

Meanwhile:

Kyrie, eleison
    Christe, eleison
    Kyrie, eleison

(Lord, have mercy; Christ, have mercy; Lord, have mercy)

I wonder how long it'll be before she reneges on some of the red-meat promises she threw to the Holy Selectorate in order to win their votes?

As she apparently hates the name Mary, maybe we should dub her Queen Mary III, just to piss her off?

FWIW, Mary I was not a Good Thing (especially if you happened to be a Protestant), but Mary II was much loved by the English people, and deeply mourned when she died young. It is, therefore, obviously time for a Bad Mary...
  • She seems to have ruled out a snap election, so possibly not expecting a honeymoon poll bounce. Hopefully her pound-shop Thatcher tribute act will be something the British people soon tire of, those who aren't sick of it already.

She will struggle to keep her own MP's on side, many will be watching like hawks for the first hint of betrayal of their hard Brexit theology. Then she'll be Liz the Remainer again.
  • I await the first onslaught by Failed Leader (you remember - the one with a bird's nest on his head). I expect he's sharpening knives even as I write this...
  • I thought she might bung a £100 billion for energy bills, then call an election, but I guess that still wouldn't produce a honeymoon. The Tories are really scraping the barrel now, but when are they not?
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited September 5
    I thought she might bung a £100 billion for energy bills, then call an election, but I guess that still wouldn't produce a honeymoon. The Tories are really scraping the barrel now, but when are they not?

I think we've long ago reached the point of knocking out the bottom of the barrel and burrowing down to a mediaeval plague pit below it.
  • Rumours that Braverman will be Home Secretary. Oh hell.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 5
    What, even though Braverman attempted to become Supreme Leader herself?

Truly, we are Cursed unto Death and Darkness.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Our new Prima Donna (her abilities sadly outweigh her ambition) said she was friends with Boris. Friends???
  • Hugal wrote: »
    Our new Prima Donna (her abilities sadly outweigh her ambition) said she was friends with Boris. Friends???

There's an extra "r" in there, Lizzy.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Oh, she's going to do a big favour for her pal Boris ... making sure he doesn't go down in history as the worst PM this nation has had.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Every cloud has a silver lining and all that... Priti Patel is off to the backbenches.

The only trouble is she might be replaced by someone even worse :cold_sweat:
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Every cloud has a silver lining and all that... Priti Patel is off to the backbenches.

The only trouble is she might be replaced by someone even worse :cold_sweat:

She is. Suella Braverman is tipped for the position.
  • TelfordTelford Suspended
    At her meeting with Her Majesty tomorrow, will she be asked, " Are you happy that I still have a job, Ms Truss?"
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Apparently the French media are calling Truss "The Iron Weathervane."
  • Yes. What evil right-wing worm got into her brain, and when - and who put it there?

She was a Lib Dem whilst a student, and then apparently decided that it was bollocks when she graduated and got a city job.
    As she apparently hates the name Mary, maybe we should dub her Queen Mary III, just to piss her off?

Or we could call her by the name that she chooses to use. There's no "except when they're Tories" exception to the principle of referring to people by their preferred name.

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 5
    Perhaps the title of the thread should be amended to omit the hated Mary?

I grant you that using it would, if nothing else, cause confusion, but it was a whimsical, and not serious, thought.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    I rather like the Iron Weathervane, but otherwise - lizard would do.
  • Fizzy Lizzy? A reference to her *Fizz with Liz* evenings...
  • I rather like the Iron Weathervane, but otherwise - lizard would do.

Weathervane is a fair description - she's a lightweight who follows the prevailing winds. I see no evidence that she has anything resembling a principle at all.
    Asked if she is a person of faith and practises religion regularly, Ms Truss said: “I share the values of the Christian faith and the Church of England, but I’m not a regular practising religious person.”

One wonders what she thinks the values of the Christian faith are. Soft bigotry with a cup of milky tea and a biscuit, perhaps?
  • How have we come to this ?
    :flushed:

Less than 90000 *voters* have foisted this incompetent lightweight onto the country as Prime Minister - and yet there will no doubt be Gammonlanders insisting that it's The Will Of The People™.
    :rage: :cold_sweat:
  • How have we come to this ?

Less than 90000 *voters* have foisted this incompetent lightweight onto the country as Prime Minister - and yet there will no doubt be Gammonlanders insisting that it's The Will Of The People™.

Yes, this is how our electoral system works. At the last election, UK voters elected a Tory government. The Tories got 43.6% of the vote, which is about the highest vote percentage achieved by any government in the last 40 years or so.

The Prime Minister is whichever MP the governing party picks.

And whilst I agree with you that Ms Truss is a lightweight, Mr Johnson was hardly any heavier. Sure - he was more prone to quip in Latin, but it's not like there was any political depth to his bumbling fool persona.

• TelfordTelford Suspended
    How have we come to this ?

You have always been free to join the Conservative party. It's not like your local golf club, or local Freemasons.

• stetsonstetson Shipmate

Less than 90000 *voters* have foisted this incompetent lightweight onto the country as Prime Minister

Well, not sure "how", but I can give you a hint as to "when", and that would be "a long long time ago". As @Leorning Cniht points out, that is the way it's done in your system, and has been for some time. IOW not just some undemocratic maneuver the Tories cooked up last year.
    - and yet there will no doubt be Gammonlanders insisting that it's The Will Of The People™.

And, of course, they'd be wrong. But if Truss and her Tories win a majority next election, the gammonlanders will have as much right to crow as anyone else whose party accomplishes a similar feat.

Seriously, the UK, along with Canada, seems more attached to Westminster Purity than any other other nation on Earth. And, as with my homeland(where attempts at electoral reform consistently get voted down, even in public referenda), I have to assume that means people are generally content with the procedures.
    Telford wrote: »

You have always been free to join the Conservative party. It's not like your local golf club, or local Freemasons.

Not that I think democracy demands it(see my last post), but IS Conservative membership really open to anyone who wants to join?

In Canada, the rules for joining vary from party to party, and even then, are not often consistent within one party over an extended period of time.
  • I think I would like to see some evidence that iron weathervane (girouette en fer) is used by the French. I would also think given what people are saying that girouette en étain (tin weathervane) might fit better.
  • stetson wrote: »
    Not that I think democracy demands it(see my last post), but IS Conservative membership really open to anyone who wants to join?

Well, I think all the political parties require you to not be a member of another political party, to not have been expelled from the party, and at some level to support the aims of the party (or at least not be an outspoken supporter of some opposing party).

In other words, you can join, unless you're joining in bad faith.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    It never ceases to amaze me that, given the number of talented, intelligent and compassionate people in the country, you end up with the likes of Boris Johnson or Elizabeth Truss as PM. It's like one of those fairy tales where the Bad Fairy wasn't invited to the party, and was pissed off so she cast an evil spell on the place that no one coming after has been able to counter... maybe in the next general election?
    edited September 6
    stetson wrote: »

Well, I think all the political parties require you to not be a member of another political party, to not have been expelled from the party, and at some level to support the aims of the party (or at least not be an outspoken supporter of some opposing party).

In Canada, the NDP(a pary like Labour in the UK) requires that you not be a member of another party(*), but I think that's always been seen as different about them from other parties.

Not sure about ideological requirements, but for a party like the Liberals, who have historically hosted a wide variety of sometimes contradictory views(eg. anti-abortion Catholics rubbing shoulders with pro-choice feminists), the oath would probably be pretty generic.

(Actually, the Libs do now require all CANDIDATES to be pro-choice on abortion, but I don't know if there's anything like that just to be a member. Likely not for most other issues.)

(*) The standard explanation was that this was to stop Communists from joining, though I doubt that's actually written into the rules.)
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate

Apart from having all the same people.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that, given the number of talented, intelligent and compassionate people in the country, you end up with the likes of Boris Johnson or Elizabeth Truss as PM. It's like one of those fairy tales where the Bad Fairy wasn't invited to the party, and was pissed off so she cast an evil spell on the place that no one coming after has been able to counter... maybe in the next general election?

There are enough people around who think talent, intelligence and compassion are bad things.
  • KarlLB wrote: »

Apart from having all the same people.

Hey now, I'm sure some of those golf club bores are Faragists (I can't remember, nor do I much care, what the name is of the current electoral holding basket of his ego).
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    deleted
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    So Boris wants us to get behind The new Prima Donna. How long before the party stab her in the back.
    She has sold her soul to the right of the party. They own her.
    Number 10 seems to have spinning doors attached recently.

• Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Boris at breakfast is intolerable. I left the room making my customary gesture whenever he is on the box.
  • stetson wrote: »

I can't join the tories, as I'm a paid-up member of another political party which shares pretty well none of their aims, policies etc.
    Alan29 wrote: »
    Boris at breakfast is intolerable. I left the room making my customary gesture whenever he is on the box.

The words *at breakfast* are not needed, although ISWYM.
  • Might be the only time the telly is on chez Alan29
  • Hugal wrote: »
    So Boris wants us to get behind The new Prima Donna. How long before the party stab her in the back.
    She has sold her soul to the right of the party. They own her.
    Number 10 seems to have spinning doors attached recently.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    If you push too hard on a sprung door, the swing back can be dangerous.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Sojourner wrote: »
    Might be the only time the telly is on chez Alan29

With me absent.
  • We got to this pass, like it or not, because more people liked what they saw of Johnson than what they heard and read about Corbyn. They may have been deluded and misled, as they were about Brexit, but there it is and what's done cannot be undone.
  • Telford wrote: »
    At her meeting with Her Majesty tomorrow, will she be asked, " Are you happy that I still have a job, Ms Truss?"

It would indeed be interesting to know if she still has her anti monarchy views!
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Merry Vole wrote: »

It would indeed be interesting to know if she still has her anti monarchy views!

I don't think she has any views. Iron Weathercock.
  • @Net Spinster comments that some in France are calling her the *Tin Weathervane*, which does somehow seem more appropriate than *Iron* (presumably a reference to her delusion that she is somehow a reincarnation of Thatcher :scream: ).
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Eirenist wrote: »
    We got to this pass, like it or not, because more people liked what they saw of Johnson than what they heard and read about Corbyn. They may have been deluded and misled, as they were about Brexit, but there it is and what's done cannot be undone.
    Can't be undone until 2024 - unless the Conservative Party oust her before then, or she goes for a snap early election.

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    She said 2024 in her speech yesterday, but never say never
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Thinking about the title of this thread. In The Producers we are told the furer was called Adolf Elizabeth Hitler. Draw your own conclusions
  • It reminds me of Violet Elizabeth Bott, I'll thkweam and thkweam.
  • We're doomed. Any Government that gives Priti Patel - a proven liar over visits to Israel - a new role and permitsa her to resign rather than be sacked in shame, is below any possible description of contempt. Still PP had a great chum and role model in ABDPJ.
This discussion has been closed.