Doctor Who: 60 Years As The Crow Flies

This weekend will start a string of 3 specials to celebrate Doctor Who's 60th anniversary followed by Ncuti Gatwa's first adventure at Christmas. I thought it time to start a thread on it.

I am envious of those of you in the UK. In the past several years those of us in the USA could watch New Who courtesy of BBC America, carried by local cable companies. Not any more. After all, why would a BBC program be shown on BBC America when it could be shown on that quintessential British outlet...Disney+? A streaming service, yet.

Now I am not completely opposed to streaming services. I am a devotee of MHz Choice. I even watch Tubi, which offers Classic Who for free albeit with commercials. But for the new stuff, I am now forced to subscribe to Disney+ which will charge me to see it...and STILL show me commercials! Oh, I could get a commercial free version, of course. I would just have to pay substantially more than I would pay for the version with commercials.

This is evil. This is the definition of evil.

But that is a side issue. Anybody else excited about the return of Doctor Who to your home screens, however it gets there?
Tagged:

Comments

• I am, although I missed the last series.
    What I've really been geeking out about is that (and apologies to our American friends) they've put (nearly) all the old ones on iplayer !
  • Goodness, 60 years already. I recall the run-up to Dr Who on ABC-TV ( Channel 3 in Canberra) back in late 1963 and watching the early episodes when the late William Hartnell was the Doctor.

Where has time gone?
  • I remember watching the first series, with William Hartnell as The Doctor.
    I have carried in my head, for years, a 'memory' of my little brother watching it from behind a cushion - but that cannot be, as I now realise he was 16 in 1963!
  • I remember watching the first series, with William Hartnell as The Doctor.
    I have carried in my head, for years, a 'memory' of my little brother watching it from behind a cushion - but that cannot be, as I now realise he was 16 in 1963!

Me too! Don't think I ever hid behind the sofa though, but me and my brother were both transfixed.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    I came to it slightly late, around the time of the Pertwee era when we moved back to Europe. He always remains for me the One True Doctor. I lost interest when Tom Baker arrived and started clowning about - couldn't stand him and the silliness.

Years later I went through all the videotapes the library had to catch up on the pre-Pertwee and post-Tom Baker era and my favourite Doctor is Peter Davison - he isn't Pertwee but he was always worth watching. "Enlightenment" and "Castrovalva" were particularly interesting.

When the series was revived with New Who I enjoyed most of what I saw, but went off it during the Capaldi era. The character had become messianic by then, some of the scripts were distinctly stupid, and the Sonic Screwdriver had become the be-all and end-all. I haven't watched it since. Might look on on the new Doctor but am unlikely to be as big a fan of the series again as I used to be - I've moved on since those days.

I really liked River Song - definitely my favourite character by a long way - and Captain Jack, and used to enjoy Torchwood, except for Gwen. I kept hoping they'd drop her but she became the lead of the series.
  • Sigh. I finally signed up for Dizzy+ just so I can see the 60th Anniversary Specials and the new season. I am now (after taking several showers to clean myself) vainly going through all the options of other shows/movies that I can watch on Dizzy+.

Very depressing.

I can't even find a singe B&W film that Dizzy+ offers.

Barbarians.
  • Sparrow wrote: »
    I remember watching the first series, with William Hartnell as The Doctor.

Me too! Don't think I ever hid behind the sofa though, but me and my brother were both transfixed.

I damnwell did! Daleks. And never mind the Kennedy assassination the day before the pilot. Let alone C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley dying on it. Troughton was a fine, terrified Doctor.
  • Martin54 wrote: »
    Sparrow wrote: »

I damnwell did! Daleks. And never mind the Kennedy assassination the day before the pilot. Let alone C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley dying on it. Troughton was a fine, terrified Doctor.

Yes, that was a very strange couple of days for TV. The day of the assassination I was watching the coverage with my parents who were the ones transfixed, I wasn't really quite old enough to understand the implications but realised that something appalling had happened, I got the vibe from my parents that it had terrifying implications for the world.

Then only 24 hours later we had Doctor Who! Am I wrong in remembering that they repeated the first episode a few days later because so many people had missed it?
  • Mrs RR and I watched the first Dalek story last night. The story stood up quite well. I was in love with Susan as a lad of 16 and dreamed of her. The programs had been colourised, Interesting ... Susan, a brunette, had been given, Mrs RR observed, blue eyes. She herself, my own 'Susan look-alike', has hazel eyes.
    As to watching the other programs, will my aged heart stand up to the excitement of seeing the scantily clad Leela (was that her name?) again?
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Louise Jameson, who played Leela, said that she used to get a lot of requests for her photo dressed in Victorian underwear (from The Talons of Weng-Chiang), where she was actually showing a lot less flesh than she did in her leather bikini!
  • Martin54Martin54 Suspended
    edited November 2023
    Martin54 wrote: »

Yes, that was a very strange couple of days for TV. The day of the assassination I was watching the coverage with my parents who were the ones transfixed, I wasn't really quite old enough to understand the implications but realised that something appalling had happened, I got the vibe from my parents that it had terrifying implications for the world.

Then only 24 hours later we had Doctor Who! Am I wrong in remembering that they repeated the first episode a few days later because so many people had missed it?

You ain't wrong. So good I watched it twice. I was born the year Lord of the Flies was published and it turns out the real story is marvellously uplifting. WW2 and technophobia have a lot to answer for.
  • Okay, name your three favorite companions.
  • I want to correct my comment. Disney+ does offer the B&W Zorro series starring Guy Williams. Disney isn't as barbaric as I thought it was.

Three favorite companions: Sarah Jane. Rory (just because he and Matt Smith clicked so well together on screen). Donna.

Darn, Dodo, Adric & Turlough missed the cut! :naughty:
  • Nyssa, Sarah Jane and Clara
  • Sarah Jane, Tegan and Clara
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Tegan, Captain Jack and Wilf.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    So what did we all think of tonight's episode?

Good to see David Tennant back, but less impressed by the silly script with the Meep. I could see that coming when Rose met it in the alleyway.
  • "Beep the Meep" was a comic strip in Doctor Who Weekly back ca. 1980 or thereabouts. I suspect this story assumed that a good percentage of the viewing audience would be familiar with it. In other words, the "twist" of the story was not meant to be a surprise. The Meep was just incidental to telling the story of Donna.
  • Hmmm ... Meep, and it looks like a cute white kitten. Someone's been reading Terry Pratchett.
  • Sparrow wrote: »
    Hmmm ... Meep, and it looks like a cute white kitten. Someone's been reading Terry Pratchett.

Or has been watching the 'Goodies'!
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    edited November 2023
    I don't remember what film it was I saw years ago but some humans landed on another planet where they saw some adorably cute aliens that looked very much like the Meep. One of them was injured and struggled back to its community where they all gathered round it tenderly - then sprang on it and devoured it in a frenzy with very sharp pointed little teeth.

Might have been an episode of a sci-fi series. I watched them a lot in those days.

ETA I had no idea about the comic strip, thanks for that info.
  • Sarah Jane. Rose. Donna.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Ariel wrote: »
    I don't remember what film it was I saw years ago but some humans landed on another planet where they saw some adorably cute aliens that looked very much like the Meep. One of them was injured and struggled back to its community where they all gathered round it tenderly - then sprang on it and devoured it in a frenzy with very sharp pointed little teeth.

Might have been an episode of a sci-fi series. I watched them a lot in those days.

This occurs in the movie Galaxy Quest, where Sam Rockwell's character, the only one who's self-aware of the tropes of the Star Trek-like series that all the main characters starred in, warns the others that the adorable aliens are going to turn mean any moment. This might also be the point at which he screams "Did any of you ever actually watch the show!??!" (This scene was mentioned in our house last night when the Meep revealed its true nature).

We enjoyed the special a lot; it's just great to see Tennant and Tate together on-screen again. They have such chemistry, and even if some of the dialogue around how they resolved it was a big clunky, I'm glad to have Donna's memories and powers restored. She was and will always be my favourite companion.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Thanks! Yes, I did watch "Galaxy Quest" so that explains that!
  • Eigon wrote: »
    Louise Jameson, who played Leela, said that she used to get a lot of requests for her photo dressed in Victorian underwear (from The Talons of Weng-Chiang), where she was actually showing a lot less flesh than she did in her leather bikini!

Have just watched 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' (how could I ressit?) on BBC i-player. Good story and I always thought Tom Baker was the best Dr Who. As for Leela .... are the aforementioned photos still available?
  • Tom Baker and Sarah-Jane in the Pyramids of Mars-scary stuff
  • And was there not a young Scotsman picked up after the battle of Culloden? Was that in Jon Pertwee’s time?
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Best companions: Ace, Leela (in her better stories), Barbara.
  • Sojourner wrote: »
    And was there not a young Scotsman picked up after the battle of Culloden? Was that in Jon Pertwee’s time?

Jamie (Frazier Hines). In Patrick Troughton's time. He and Troughton also made a good screen team.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    RockyRoger wrote: »
    Mrs RR and I watched the first Dalek story last night. The story stood up quite well. I was in love with Susan as a lad of 16 and dreamed of her. The programs had been colourised, Interesting ... Susan, a brunette, had been given, Mrs RR observed, blue eyes. She herself, my own 'Susan look-alike', has hazel eyes.
    As to watching the other programs, will my aged heart stand up to the excitement of seeing the scantily clad Leela (was that her name?) again?
    You need to watch Emmerdale

• Hedgehog wrote: »
    Sojourner wrote: »
    And was there not a young Scotsman picked up after the battle of Culloden? Was that in Jon Pertwee’s time?

Jamie (Frazier Hines). In Patrick Troughton's time. He and Troughton also made a good screen team.

Thanks; that would have been in the late 60s; still at school then

• RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    edited November 2023
    Telford wrote: »
    Mrs RR and I watched the first Dalek story last night. The story stood up quite well. I was in love with Susan as a lad of 16 and dreamed of her. The programs had been colourised, Interesting ... Susan, a brunette, had been given, Mrs RR observed, blue eyes. She herself, my own 'Susan look-alike', has hazel eyes.

Why shoud I watch Emmerdale? Would Mrs RR approve?

You aren't trying to lead a Christian brother into temptation, are you?
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Frazer Hines went on from being Jamie McCrimmon to being one of the main characters on Emmerdale, back when it was called Emmerdale Farm, switching effortlessly from a Scottish accent to a Yorkshire accent. He was one of the sons on the farm.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Telford wrote: »

Why shoud I watch Emmerdale? Would Mrs RR approve?

You aren't trying to lead a Christian brother into temptation, are you?

Your 'Leela' is in Emmerdale.
  • you are tempting me, aren't you? I shall have words with you in Heaven ......
    Blessings!
  • Not a proper companion, but a regular ... I confess to a huge crush on "Sgt Benton" of UNIT.
  • There are several UNIT personnel who probably deserve to be considered as companions.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Not a proper companion, but a regular ... I confess to a huge crush on "Sgt Benton" of UNIT.

I'll take the Fifth Doctor.

Not a lot of people know this, but Peter Davison spent part of his early working life as a filing clerk in Twickenham tax office before getting the break into acting.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Sgt Benton was awesome! I saw John Levene at a Star Trek convention in the 1980s. I think he was just staying in the same hotel, rather than being an advertised guest. By that time he had a company that supplied photographs for adverts, or something like that - I do remember he had a compilation tape of some of the images, and it was played on a loop - he was amazed it was so popular! He also gave a talk, and was generally lovely.
  • I really enjoyed "The Wild Blue Yonder." Basically, it was David Tennant and Catherine Tate carrying an hour by themselves and making it absolutely fascinating.
  • I hated the special effects, they kept throwing me out of the moment. That’s why ‘Midnight’ was so good, you never saw anything.

Otherwise, great episode, though I enjoyed The Star Beast more.

Sad that this was the last appearance of Bernard Cribbins. I’m sure he will be mentioned next week as being back at the care home, but they weren’t able to film any more.
  • I found Blue Yonder a bit confusing but will probably work it out better if I watch again. Wilf's bit was awesome. In just a few sentences so much was said.
  • Following these recommendations, Mrs RR and I sat down to watch 'Wide Blue Yonder'. Impressive production values, but we couldn't follow the plot, mainly because we both thought the Doctor, and especially his companion, mumbled. We caught perhaps only 40% of the dialogue. Is this an age thing? Was the dialogue clear? Such a pity subtitles weren't available!
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    We had subtitles on ... but I have them on for almost everything.
  • Trudy wrote: »

How is this pan dimensional phenomenom achieved?
    Do I need a sonic screwdriver? Or some other clever gismo?
  • Most TVs have a helpful button on the remote, labelled subtitle. However, some channels don't accept it.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Trudy wrote: »

How is this pan dimensional phenomenom achieved?
    Do I need a sonic screwdriver? Or some other clever gismo?

Over here, we've been getting the Doctor Who specials on Disney+, which has subtitles as an option on all shows. I guess it depends both on the platform and device that you're watching on, whether you can access that or not. Although I would have thought for accessibility reasons most TVs would offer closed captions as an option.
  • Often it's not the TV, but the set box, or whatever you call it, Freeview box in UK. Although most modern TVs have Freeview. We have ancient TVs.
  • Like @Trudy , I am getting the shows through Disney+ which offers subtitles.

But to answer @RockyRoger 's question: No, it is NOT an age thing. The actors mumble. I assume that they do it because they think it adds dramatic emphasis. Because nothing is so dramatic as most of the audience shouting "Eh? What was that?"
  • I certainly don't think Catherine Tate and David Tennant mumble - if anything they tend to be a bit shouty. However, they do talk very quickly.

@RockyRoger I believe you're in the UK, in which case you should be able to watch on iPlayer which normally has subtitles. At the bottom of the screen you should be able to see a speech bubble with lines on it which you can use to turn subtitles on. If you don't have that option on your TV, you will on a computer.