What I really meant was . . .

13»

Comments

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    Morpheus: "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "Sorry. I'm color blind."
  • roybartroybart Shipmate
    edited July 2018
    (I have a few reminders that pop up daily in my phone calendar. One of them is: "The important thing is to be kind." Recently I noticed that it had disappeared. I retyped it quickly. When it popped up the next morning it read ...)

"To be kind is the impotent thing."

(The Devil? A typo? A Freudian slip? The Dark Angel of auto-correction?)
  • Seen many years ago in Tesco: "You may only eat food purchased in this cafe".

Why bother with the rest of the supermarket, then?
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I remember a children's catechism trying to simplify the Ten Commandments, quoting Commandment No. 1 as: "I must adore God alone."

Yes, I know, church attendance had dwindled, but surely at least one other person could be present while I pray.
  • Which reminds me of Ephesians 5:18-19 in the AV: "Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to yourselves ....". Mutter, mutter, mutter.
    edited July 2018
    (Late in life, Thomas Hobbes began having second thoughts about his negative comments on life in a "state of nature." He had recently inherited a fortune, moved to the French Riviera, surrounded himself with a gaggle of willing young men, and discovered the myriad pleasure of cosmetic surgery and nude beaches. For his much-revised 16th edition of Leviathan he wrote a definition that reflected his new-found joie de vivre.)

"The state of nature is quite compatible with knowledge, arts, letters, society, freedom from fear and pain. Life can be sociable, lucrative, kind, and gentle, and can remain that way as long as you want. All you need is cash, lots of sex, and a positive attitude."

• The road to hell is paved.
    In Russia it is said, "The road to Hell is paved with the skulls of bishops."
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    "Green is good. Not greed. That leads to the collapse of civilisation."
    edited August 2018
    (Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain revises the text of his famous airport speech, one year after having signed his agreement with Adolph Hitler, Sept. 1938.)

"I believe it will be peace for a very short time only. Don't go home and get a 'nice quiet sleep.' Start preparing for War! Build bomb shelters! Every second counts!!"
    (It's sad to see this thread fade away. Here are some lines by Woodie Guthrie that he really did mean when he sang them:)

So long, it's been good to know ya
    [repeated 2 more times]

What a long time since I've been home
    And I've gotta be driftin' along.
  • It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune is definitely in need of a housekeeper-cleaner-general dogsbody to do all those tiresome non-jobs (that people just know take no time at all) such as taking the dog to the vet, picking-up the dry-cleaning, going to the bank, collecting prescriptions, buying gifts for his mother and siblings, etc, etc, etc. normally carried out by a wife. Of course, since the services of professionals to carry out all the tasks referred to, and more, is going to cost him upwards of £80,000 a year, plus pension contributions, he may find it cheaper to get married ...
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Well I posted a letter in one once. I mean I get confused.